New dog with allergies?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

New dog with allergies?

Postby BlueBaloo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:36 am

My husband and I adopted a dog on Tuesday and we really like her. But.... she's broken out with a pretty bad rash.
This was her when she woke up yesterday:

And this morning:

I gave her benedryl yesterday to make her stop itching. It looks less red but it has spread a few inches and is on her back legs a little bit too. She's itching this morning so I'm gonna give her benedryl again.

She comes from a foster home that had grass, carpet and other dogs.. Our house has hardwood with a rug or two and grass in the backyard.. Also, she was on Kirklands food (not the grain free) and we are feeding her half of that and half of diamond naturals grain free (fish based). She came from Alabama and we are in Tennessee.

So I need help to see if you guys can maybe help narrow it down to what could be causing her allergies. She's just here on a trial basis so I don't want to take her to the vet or get too crazy.
BlueBaloo
Newborn Bully

Re: New dog with allergies?

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 am

Get her OFF the food with grain today! There is no need to transition slowly, unless the product has soy, corn, whey/dairy or an other allergens. Then you need to switch brands. Stay away from any brand that has "modified" Anything on the label. Usually those are veg proteins that have been chemically extracted and "modified" to stimulate your dog's brain - producing an addict. Once you've removed the allergens, support her immune system with probiotics (esp if she's had antibiotics lately) and to lower inflammation with 1 squirt of Salmon Oil/ 10 lbs of dog. (http://www.grizzlypetproducts.com/benefits/benefits.html) Yes, this seems like a lot, but it will do wonders, as your dog probably has messed up Omega 6 to Omega 3 oil ratios.

Best of luck - this is actually a fairly common, esp for Pit Bulls.

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:46 am

Start slowly with the salmon oil, too many squirts can cause the squirts, if you know what I mean. I would start with half a squirt a day. I give mine two squirts a day.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:53 am

FYI - I was giving Monte 7 squirts a day, for his 62 lb +15 year old body... Read up on the O6:O3 ratio issue on the link, as it likely also is an issue with the humans in your life.

One of the nice things about fixing my ratios is that I'm very cold tolerant now. I can swim in really cold showers and was shoveling snow in Boston this Winter in a T-Shirt and Shorts. (Cold workouts reduce muscle soreness and speed recovery.) The neighbors thought I was crazy, but it felt soooo good!

Anyway, if your dog does get the squirts, add cooked, peeled sweet potatoes, rather than decreasing the dose.
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BlueBaloo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:04 am

Interesting! I will try that!
BlueBaloo
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:14 am

Do you have local honey? I don't know if there is anything to support it in research for dogs, but it has been recommended here a few times. I give a teaspoon of local honey to my younger one along with the salmon oil. She has seasonal allergies. She's 47 lbs and I give 3-4 lil pumps of salmon oil, 1 teaspoon of honey, and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil daily on her food. The coconut oil is to help with the coat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby PITtsburgher » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:56 am

I would start with a vet visit because often there is a component of infection when they get really bad allergies. They can also talk through options like short-term steroids, a hypoallergenic diet trial, and the various antihistamines to target the allergies themselves.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:40 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:I would start with a vet visit because often there is a component of infection when they get really bad allergies. They can also talk through options like short-term steroids, a hypoallergenic diet trial, and the various antihistamines to target the allergies themselves.

The average vet (like the average MD) knows very little about providing low cost / holistic solutions to common issues and often medicines cause issues down the road. IMHO, it is worth it to wait 2-3 days and test out the anti-inflammatory/allergen free diet, rather than risk aggressively medicating and causing imbalances in other systems.

Based on what I've learned about brain chemistry, I no longer take Benedryl, Sudafed, or ANY antihistamine, for instance. I used to consider them rather innocuous, but too many neurologists see links down the road to greater disorders than just a runny nose.

Steroids cause hormonal changes that DO impact the intestinal flora - where ~70% of your immunity is produced. It is better to support the dog's immunity through cutting carbs, than to disrupt it with steroids.
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BlueBaloo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 am

What do you think about coconut oil? (raw) I have some for my skin. I found a local place that sells salmon oil but I just haven't made it out there so I've just been giving her 1000mg fish oil that I have for myself in the meantime. Her rash looks a lot better, but she's still itching and I'd like to stop giving her benedryl. Do you think the coconut oil will help or hurt?
BlueBaloo
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:43 am

Raw coconut oil is what you'd want, not the processed. Just start with a teaspoon of it. It mostly helps with dry skin and coat. My girls love it. It's good to hear she's doing a little better. Dogs are a lot like us, or at least I'm a lot like my dogs with allergies. When I change environments, which my girls and I do often going from FL to VA, we have flare ups. I actually take fish oil, coconut oil, and local honeys myself to counter them. The above advices from LMW is what has helped me keep Curly and myself from having flare ups for about 1.5 years now when it comes to season allergies and immune issues. Every now and then I'll have to give Curly benadryl for about 2-3 days.

Curly_07
Regulator

Postby BlueBaloo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:45 am

What about using as a salve? Straight on the skin? That's how I've used it for my dry skin and skin bumps.
BlueBaloo
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:49 am

You can order salmon oil online-I usually get the Grizzly brand from Amazon or Entirely Pets, a bunch of places have it. I really do think it helps.
I think some people do put coconut oil on topically.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 am

Yep! You can apply directly to the skin/coat. I also order salmon oil online. Usually from amazon.

Curly_07
Regulator

Postby PITtsburgher » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:28 pm

The thing with a food allergy is it can take up to 12 weeks after starting the correct food for the allergy symptoms to go away. I agree with you that not all vets are savvy with skin issues but I would not count on diet changes making a difference fast enough to stop the problem from getting out of control. I say this as someone who ended up in the ER with my dog when his skin allergies progressed into hives over 12 hours and his entire body started oozing. The hypoallergenic diet that he had started a few days before clearly wasn't cutting it - he had MRSA and the doctor said he could have died. I realize this was an extreme case but with skin stuff sometimes you need to be more aggressive to get things to a point where you can get into the diet/supplement maintenance phase of things.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:56 pm

And it makes me sad seeing dogs MISERABLE and owners terrified of a couple days of low dose steroids.

The side effects of severe allergies are worse than the side effects of steroids... and from the look of that rash, there's a good chance antibiotics are needed as well, although an exam and possibly cytology would be needed to confirm.

Keep up with the Omega-3's and the grain free diet recommendations though. While they are unlikely to help with this go-round, chances are good they will prevent or reduce the severity of the next set.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues