Happy Tail

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Happy Tail

Postby Amie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:52 am

Doc just called, he just finished surgery #4. I'll need Rob to really explain all the medical details to me, but the Doc said it went well, but not perfect. We're sort of hopeful that he won't need any more surgery after this, but we won't know for a few more days. I was warned that right now he looks like Frankendog. Like last time I started crying when he fell asleep - that instant that his eyes go blank just breaks me, but I pray that his last memory was of my face. And I'm feeling stupidly worried about things like his tiny freckle spots on his rump - wondering how many of them will be moved or gone after this last surgery.

This is hard.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Amie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:07 am

Surgery #5 was a minor patch of some popped stitches and required only local anesthetic (and a saintly boyfriend/vet tech to hold, and skillful vet to cut/stitch while he squirmed)

Surgery #6 is another general anesthetic for more stretching and pulling skin to cover the still open areas on his tail, and will be this Tuesday. *sigh*
Amie
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:31 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Boo for more general anesthetic, yay for the fact that he is still here and strong enough for another surgery!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Amie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:53 am

He's not feeling good today. I think mostly he's depressed. He's extremely limited on walks and things because he has such a large open wound, and he's been in a cone for a month. He's sad, and I can't make it better.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Shoshana » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Sending best wishes that this is his last surgery and he heals up quickly so he can be a happy wiggly dog again!!!! Peanut sends puppy kisses...
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Semper Bull » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:09 pm

:hug: Hope that Oscar heals up soon.
Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Amie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Surgery #6 went well, and was slightly less involved (still under general, still intubated etc, but the surgery itself involved fewer stitches and incisions) than expected. It was a different anesthesia than we've used in the past, which Rob was comfortable with, but I wish Rob had been home with me to talk me through some of the recovery.

With all previous surgeries, Oscar recovered mentally and physically at the same rate, which was hard to see. With this, on the new anesthetic (I can't remember the name but I can find out if anyone's curious) he recovered VERY quickly physically.

He actually woke up faster than the doctor seemed to expect (I suspect it was because the doctor asked me back to see the surgery site while he was still under, and I believe Oscar heard/smelled me and woke up to be with me; the timing matches that). He was only slightly tipsy in the beginning, was able to trot to the car and get up inside without assistance within about twenty minutes of waking up. On the car ride home I stopped to get a movie from Red Box (side note: don't rent "Robin Hood Ghost of Sherwood" Just trust me) and when I was out of the car Oscar jumped from the backseat into the front seat without problem. He got out of the car and inside the house without difficulty either. It was like he hadn't been anesthetized at all, physically.

Mentally, it was scary. He was blank. He wasn't aggressive or anything, he just wasn't him. He looked confused for about ten hours. He wouldn't sit or lie down, didn't seem to know what I meant when I invited him to snuggle or sit with me. I watched him starting to fall asleep on his feet several times. He didn't have any spark to him, and it just wasn't him. Quite honestly, I was starting to suspect brain damage (not that I'd heard anything, this just didn't seem like Oscar was inside that body anymore).

He's a little more normal today, though he's clearly uncomfortable. He's taking Tramodol as needed, and that seems to help. Rob assures me that everything that happened yesterday was normal for that anesthesia, that in his experience animals either wake up more quickly (though I still feel like Oscar popped up faster than expected) or more slowly than with other drugs, but that it was very safe and he was acting in no way that concerned Rob, so I think we're okay. It was just very disturbing!
Amie
Regulator

Postby Jazzy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:41 am

:hug:
Just saw this sweetie. You and Oscar are in my thoughts and prayers.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Poor Oscar. *fast healing wishes*
Is 6 his last surgery?
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:46 pm

We don't even know yet. I'm really hesitant to put him through more, but it's going to depend on healing rate. We're always weighing the benefits of letting him heal naturally vs the speed of surgery. Our vet has been amazing through all of this, and has been very helpful in the "if this was my dog what I would do" way, and he said he's pleased with growth so far. His post surgical check up went well and Doc said he wasn't ruling out more surgery, but at this point he's looking at it just as wound care, and we can move down to weekly visits. After a month of five to six visits a week, we feel like we have so much time on our hands!

Physically he's still in pain (when his dose of tramadol runs down) but otherwise feeling pretty good. He's eating normally and is gaining back the weight that he's lost. Mentally he's getting bored - with a large open wound, he's very limited on un-diapered time outside, and when he comes back in and a new diaper is pulled out to put on for inside wear, he acts like he remembered something in the other room and tries to trot away quickly. He's more difficult to get crated now, and I know he's not sleeping well either. Rob's estimate is that we're looking at two to three more months of restrictions and diapers and I'm just trying to stay positive that at least those are the hottest three months of the year and we wouldn't have been doing too much hiking and stuff anyway.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Nickdawg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:09 pm

:hug:
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:19 am

Oh man, Amie. I logged in to read the depressing posts I knew were coming down the pipe, and came across this thread. I had to skip ahead to the end to make sure he was ok then went back and read the rest of the story - who knew happy tail could kill you! Sounds awful - much love to your whole family! I'll check back for updates. I hope he continues to respond well.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Amie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:16 am

Yes, June was horrific for me, and July has been so much harder for others. None of it is fair. It's not fair that Oscar got sick, it's not fair that he lived and others didn't... it's just not fair. Awful, awful time.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Amie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:46 am

*sigh*

Surgery #7 is Thursday. Doc is pleased with most of the growth, but some areas aren't adhering as desired, and that leaves pockets that could grow more infection, so we want that tightened up.
Amie
Regulator

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues