PLEASE HELP SAVE A LIFE. ♥

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: PLEASE HELP SAVE A LIFE. ♥

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm sorry to say that there is no quick fix that will guarantee both the dog's safety and keep him from being destructive. I'm not sure what you're looking for but if you son intends on keeping the dog, he's in for a long and difficult road.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:43 am

That sounds like a really tough situation. I think it's awesome that your son rescued this dog and is trying to help him. I think there are 2 things that need to be addressed - both the immediate safety for your dog/house, but also the dog's state of mind that is causing him to act this way. A containment system would help with the first but not the second, so I think working with a veterinary behaviorist will be key in helping him actually learn to keep calm while you're away.

As far as the containment, a couple members on here have crates that look somewhat like this (not sure if this is the exact brand):
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6229271125321416786?q=heavy+duty+dog+crate&client=firefox-a&hs=0ov&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg&biw=1280&bih=666&tch=1&ech=1&psi=vQLhUeumHK-u4APBuoDoDw.1373700799375.3&sa=X&ei=wwLhUeaHDfTB4APVpIHwCw&ved=0CGsQ8gIwAA

Another option would be to look into dog daycare if you can find a good place, might be easier on him and cost less up front.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:43 pm

A friend turned her laundry room into a dog room for her SA dogs. They tiled the walls up from the floor about 5' high and removed basically everything within his reach except the appliances.

I would definitely second the suggestion of seeing a vet behaviorist ASAP. I think you'll have much better luck if you can get him on some anti-anxiety meds now. They can take some time to take effect so the sooner the better.

He sounds like a very very lucky dog to land with you.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:08 pm

For this level of SA, it should really be a veterinary behaviorist. If you let us know your general area, someone could recommend one :)

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:27 pm

You may need to repost your issues in the Training section for inputs, as I have to lock this Intro thread...most members do not frequent this section anyway, so you likely will get much better responses in Training.

:modwelcomeonly1:

Return to “Introductions”