PLEASE HELP SAVE A LIFE. ♥

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

PLEASE HELP SAVE A LIFE. ♥

Postby help4xerxes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:48 pm

My son adopted a pitbull from a family that was surrendering him at the local animal control shelter sure to be put to sleep.
He was searching for a dog, not a pitbull, but couldn't turn his back on this one.
This 2 year old has seperation anxiety and cannot be left alone without destroying anything to get near people.
He has chewed through a wire indoor kennel, sheetrock, door frames, car interiors, the plastic tray on the bottom of his new large wire indoor metal kennel and today chewed through the carpet under the kennel to the subfloor.
He doesn't want to surrender him but cannot afford to repair the damages to the rental AND build a super structure to contain him while he works. The dog was watched by a few different people while others worked in an attempt to keep him with humans at all times, now with work schedules all during the day time, there is noone to watch him during that time.
I've been researching online for proper kenneling/housing to put him in when necessary but there is no wiggle room in the budget to "try" out different building materials that would work. Chain link I read is not reccommended because they are good climbers, welded wire obviously is something he can chew through regardless of having a stronger gauge wire pre-made indoor kennel, plastic kennels look so small and confining, tethering looks in humane. The local feed store recommended 'no-climb" deer fencing that is tied in each cross section. Ugh!!!!! Need help fast as Monday starts up another work week and we have run out of options and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. PLEASE HELP SAVE A LIFE.
help4xerxes
Newborn Bully

Re: PLEASE HELP SAVE A LIFE. ♥

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm sorry to say that there is no quick fix that will guarantee both the dog's safety and keep him from being destructive. I'm not sure what you're looking for but if you son intends on keeping the dog, he's in for a long and difficult road.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby help4xerxes » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:23 am

I'm looking for suggestions from experienced pitbull owners on what materials can uses to build a safe kennel for him to be kept in when he can't be with his human family due to work, appointments, etc.
Is there a resource for materials to be used for a pit bull enclosure?
Is this behavior typical of the breed or do they grow out of it? I've raised a German Sheppard/Samoyed mix, black lab, golden retriever and Australian shepherd mix from puppies. The lab was a digger and chewer until he was 3 or so. They all were wonderful family members and are missed very much. They were with us their entire lives. We're dedicated to learning more about this breed and providing the best environment for him. We just need some guidance from those more experienced than us.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks!
help4xerxes
Newborn Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:43 am

That sounds like a really tough situation. I think it's awesome that your son rescued this dog and is trying to help him. I think there are 2 things that need to be addressed - both the immediate safety for your dog/house, but also the dog's state of mind that is causing him to act this way. A containment system would help with the first but not the second, so I think working with a veterinary behaviorist will be key in helping him actually learn to keep calm while you're away.

As far as the containment, a couple members on here have crates that look somewhat like this (not sure if this is the exact brand):
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6229271125321416786?q=heavy+duty+dog+crate&client=firefox-a&hs=0ov&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg&biw=1280&bih=666&tch=1&ech=1&psi=vQLhUeumHK-u4APBuoDoDw.1373700799375.3&sa=X&ei=wwLhUeaHDfTB4APVpIHwCw&ved=0CGsQ8gIwAA

Another option would be to look into dog daycare if you can find a good place, might be easier on him and cost less up front.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby help4xerxes » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:15 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:That sounds like a really tough situation. I think it's awesome that your son rescued this dog and is trying to help him. I think there are 2 things that need to be addressed - both the immediate safety for your dog/house, but also the dog's state of mind that is causing him to act this way. A containment system would help with the first but not the second, so I think working with a veterinary behaviorist will be key in helping him actually learn to keep calm while you're away.

As far as the containment, a couple members on here have crates that look somewhat like this (not sure if this is the exact brand):
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6229271125321416786?q=heavy+duty+dog+crate&client=firefox-a&hs=0ov&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg&biw=1280&bih=666&tch=1&ech=1&psi=vQLhUeumHK-u4APBuoDoDw.1373700799375.3&sa=X&ei=wwLhUeaHDfTB4APVpIHwCw&ved=0CGsQ8gIwAA

Another option would be to look into dog daycare if you can find a good place, might be easier on him and cost less up front.

Thank you Pittsburger for taking the time to offer some helpful suggestions.
I like the sturdiness of that kennel but it just seems so small.
I did speak to a doggy daycare in our little town. It's 5000 sq feet with lots of amenities for the dogs, however, the pit bulls do not get to play in the common area with the other dogs, lay around on the couches etc. They are kept in clean and bright indoor kennels that are separated with solid walls and just the tall gate door. They do take them out for walks 2x a day and some interaction with people. I need to go visit to see if they are just being housed or if they are getting to see the other dogs from their kennels. I was going to take him there to stay for an hour or so to see how it goes a little longer each visit.
The whole situation is tugging at my heart.
He's a beautiful dog and loves to play with other dogs. My son's girlfriend has a pitbull and they love to get together for walks and play dates. The only problem is that one of the house cats was attacked by the girlfriends pitbull that required vet care and was a very close call. She cannot come to visit at the house anymore for the safety of the 2 family cats.
There is a room available in the house with a concrete floor. Washer, Dryer and Hotwater heater are in this room along with bearded dragons. Windows are at Ceiling level. 2 doors, one to the garage and one into the main living area.
I've read about dog proofing a room in the house. How would one do that here. Seems like he would need to be kept from the appliances. I can't imagine that using a muzzle on him indoors would be very humane. Any thoughts on this?
Also, what type of kennel material/fencing material would be best to use when building an outdoor dog run for him?
help4xerxes
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:43 pm

A friend turned her laundry room into a dog room for her SA dogs. They tiled the walls up from the floor about 5' high and removed basically everything within his reach except the appliances.

I would definitely second the suggestion of seeing a vet behaviorist ASAP. I think you'll have much better luck if you can get him on some anti-anxiety meds now. They can take some time to take effect so the sooner the better.

He sounds like a very very lucky dog to land with you.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby help4xerxes » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:41 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:A friend turned her laundry room into a dog room for her SA dogs. They tiled the walls up from the floor about 5' high and removed basically everything within his reach except the appliances.

I would definitely second the suggestion of seeing a vet behaviorist ASAP. I think you'll have much better luck if you can get him on some anti-anxiety meds now. They can take some time to take effect so the sooner the better.

He sounds like a very very lucky dog to land with you.

That sounds like a good idea if the landlord would allow it. It is a rather large room but it could work.

I'll research my area for an animal behaviorist to see what they suggest.

Thanks!
help4xerxes
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:08 pm

For this level of SA, it should really be a veterinary behaviorist. If you let us know your general area, someone could recommend one :)
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby help4xerxes » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:34 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:For this level of SA, it should really be a veterinary behaviorist. If you let us know your general area, someone could recommend one :)

Sacramento California
help4xerxes
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:27 pm

You may need to repost your issues in the Training section for inputs, as I have to lock this Intro thread...most members do not frequent this section anyway, so you likely will get much better responses in Training.

:modwelcomeonly1:
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Introductions