Protection Behavior

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Protection Behavior

Postby Tank01 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:38 am

Hello, I am a relatively new pitty mom. I rescued my Tank when he was 6 weeks old from people who were using his mother as bait when she went into heat to rile up the males to get them to fight. He is from a litter from one of those fights. I have other small dogs that he was raised around, a Llasa Apso mix now 7 yo and Dachshund now 12 yo. Tank is totally a mama's boy. He is very bonded to me. He is fine with my children always and the other dogs usually. He is 2 1/2 years old now and has always been protective of mommy when I am in a vulnerable state, as in sitting on the floor or lying in bed so I had to start crating him at night which worked out great, he has a big nice room with a very comfy blanket, and he seems content. Just in the past couple of months, as the Dachshund is getting older and a little neurotic, he barks at weird stuff, flashes of light, the bicycle pump, the vacuum, stuff like that. If I am again, sitting or what Tank deems as vulnerable, Tank will go after the Dachshund, the Dachshund has had to have stitches once already. It is a very violent looking occurrence and more than once my youngest daughter happened to be within inches of the tussle. I have had Tank to obedience class and socialize regularly, lots of exercise, etc. Any advice other than don't sit on the floor or stop putting yourself in a vulnerable state at all times?????
Tank01
Newborn Bully

Re: Protection Behavior

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:50 am

Welcome! You have a lot of really good concerns here. Unfortunately many members do not frequent this section. Can you tell us a little about yourself so that I can give you access? Once approved, post these questions in the Behavior section with your location so that members can help you. There are many people here with tons of experience. Until then, please keep him separated from your other dogs to prevent any more escalations. Many dogs also need a 2 week cool down ie separated from other dogs to get over the situation. Think of it like this...you get into it with someone, you are frustrated and confused, you need time to cool off from it before speaking/interacting with that person :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy using Tapatalk 2
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:30 am

What Curly said-- keep the dogs separate. Dachshunds are delicate dogs at the best of times and Tank can seriously hurt him.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Tank01 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:26 am

Well, we are an average family that love dogs! Always have, always will. We are not breed specific when it comes to dogs. All of our dogs have always been rescues and my whole family volunteers at our local non-profit rescue here in Whitehall, PA. Like many of the volunteers there who see so many pits come through there, I wanted to bring one of these loving, devoted and misunderstood dogs home. I have 4 children ranging from 10 years to 22 years and been a stay at home mom for almost 3 years now. I chose a puppy so that he and the smaller dogs would start off the same size and they would accept him even as he grew. He is nearly 70 lbs now to their 12 lbs. Of course he thinks he is a small dog now too.
Tank01
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Thank you for the quick reply! Hope you enjoy it here and we can help you out!

:modwelcomeonly1:
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Introductions