doing a co-own, bad idea??

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

doing a co-own, bad idea??

Postby crobar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:14 am

Im finally a proud owner of a pitbull puppy. But im doing a co-own because i couldn't afford him if i bought him outright. Are any of you doing co-owns too? What are some disadvantages of me doing this? I have a long list of do's and dont's to follow by the breeder. Everything from diet to exercising , etc. Is all this really that important to do for a puppy so young? (7wks). Im already so attached to him (Tyson) and i only want the best for him so i guess ill follow the breeders requests.
crobar
Newborn Bully

Re: doing a co-own, bad idea??

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 am

I would not co-own with someone unless I've known them for a very long time and we have a great relationship. It would also take a lot of planning and agreeing on conditions.

It is very easy to get screwed over in a co-own, I've heard several "horror" stories of breeders taking in the dogs on co-owns and breeding the heck out of them (to the point where you don't get to see the dog often). Not to mention disregarding the owner's input and breeding to other dogs that aren't breeding quality. There's just a lot of ways it can go bad.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: doing a co-own, bad idea??

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:12 am

Welcome! If you'd like access to the rest of the forum, can you please post an intro for us? There's a sample sticky at the top to help you out.

As for the co-own questions...I agree with Celeste. I personally wouldn't do a co-own with anyone, UNLESS I had known the person a very long time, knew their breeding practices inside and out, and trusted them with my dogs life. When you do a co-own, it leaves the door wide open for the other party to take the dog for shows, breeding, etc whenever they please. If you do not know this person very well, nor their breeding practices, I would not suggest getting involved in a co-own. If this person happens to be an irresponsible breeder, and does not follow the breeder code of ethics (There is a copy of this listed as a sticky at the top area of the Rescue/Adoptables section), then you will only be contributing and partially responsible for what this person does with this dog down the road.
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Introductions