Anal gland question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Anal gland question

Postby mhocker10 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:15 am

how much fluid can be contained in these glands for a 65lb APBT? I believe he just expressed his glands himself outside. He squatted like he was ready to go poo, his anus pulsated a few times and there was this fluid. The fluid was a brownish-yellowish color and there was ALOT. It definetly was NOT poo of any kind nor was it vomit. I did see him do a few carpet "scoots" on his butt, very infrequently though. I am wondering if the glands were "clogged" in some way and he forced the fluids out.

he has been fed RAW only now for about 2 weeks.. his feces isn't rock hard nor is it pudding poo. I am wondering if being kibble fed was not allowing the glands to naturally drain.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Re: Anal gland question

Postby mhocker10 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:54 am

a bit more info:

he had a vet visit a few weeks ago.. and he hates to get his temp taken. Is it possible he may have injured a gland during the procedure, as he tries to get away during the temp taking? He was also float checked for worms and he is clean.

his feces has little smell on RAW but this fluid stunk badly, no blood, no puss, just yellowish fluid.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:43 pm

The anal gland fluid smells horrid. I have to take curly to the vet every 3 weeks to have hers done because they fill really fast and I can't stand to do it myself. Makes me want to throwup! The coloring you describe is similar to what hers looks like. Sometimes if I wait longer than 3 weeks she will start to express them herself. That's when I know they are really full.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy using Tapatalk 2
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby mhocker10 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:03 pm

thanks for the reply Curly_07 .... his must have been full because if I look at his rectum now, it is flat whereas yesterday and for about 7 days it looked slightly swollen between the 9 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions. it was about 2 tablespoons worth of fluid... I have almost always noticed a dribble from the glands when he deficates so I'm not sure why they filled this time, unless as I said before, something may have happened at the vets during his temperature check.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:23 pm

If his poops are smaller or softer than they were before, he may not be emptying them everytime he defecates.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Learn how to check and express your dog's anal glands...It isn't a big issue..but YES it is stinky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFDOzbBVrw

I also found that chiropractic treatment helped my boy go from needing this every month to about every 9 months...

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:21 pm

I also wanted to add that many vets think this is an issue with FIBER... NOPE.. I tried increasing Monte's fiber content (oh, believe me, I tried everything!) and it made the issue worse. A healthy diet with Raw Meaty Bones helped fix his issues more than anything. Google Raw Meaty Bones for more info on dietary changes...
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:24 pm

LMW can you elaborate on the chiropractic thing? I'd like to know how to help Curly so she doesn't need this so often. Thanks! I love all of your posts!

Curly_07
Regulator

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Well...I can't really elaborate more on the fact that when he would get stopped up, I'd make an appointment to see his DVM...who also practiced Chiro. She was well known in agility and was able to get him from moving sideways, like a crab, to straight. (I"m a former horse trainer, so gait is REALLY important to me..) BUT, she didn't understand the anal glad issue, either. She initially said "Feed him more fiber." Which I tried... but then found fiber wasn't the issue. He was nearly fiber free for the last 5 years of his diet as I believe Ketogenic diets are more healthy and fiber is difficult to eat without carbs. He had no more than 1 c of sweet potatoes a week, on the same days when we'd feed green tripe, which was just to decrease the squirts...and a high fat/low proten diet the rest of the time.

It was something that I just figured out... when he would start being out of balance, aka ... moving like a crab... it was time for an adjustment.

I DO think he had spinal issues for a very long time, as his conformation wasn't great, and he was always sensitive about is "back end". I ended up doing the anal gland expression every 3-6 months, then having a chiro treatment every 9 mos, which seemed to be what he needed.

And, he was moving freely and happily until about the last week of his life... and, given he was probably a boxer/pit, reaching ~15 y/o was pretty remarkable, especially given the condition in which he arrived... Lordy, those gums where a sign of long term issues!!! (PS his DVM was shocked to learn how old he was ... she thought he was 9...)

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Ah ok! I was hoping it'd be like a massage/stretch/exercise I could do with her to help lol she has a slight roach back, not bad or anything but I notice she is more arched around that 4 week or so mark.

Curly_07
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 am

Sometimes fibre does help, not always. Obi is an example of a dog who benefits from extra fibre in regards to his anal glands. Bulking up his stool helps express the glands but I know this isn't the case for all dogs.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:33 am

It didn't help Susie either. Salmon oil does seem like it helps though.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby pblove » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:49 pm

one of my dogs gets a lot of anal gland issues when I add Salomon oil to her diet. Have tired many brands, many times and always the same outcome. she will lick, lick and lick her butt, scoot and the smell gets even stinkier then normal? When she maks poop yo0u can see a lof of fluid does come out after moving the poop. Any other dogs get issues like this. (I remember Charlotte said her dog , Molly, had anal glad issues when she added salmon oil too.
p.s. I do miss seeing Monty's pictures on here, he was really a handsome fella .
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:29 pm

pblove wrote:one of my dogs gets a lot of anal gland issues when I add Salomon oil to her diet. Have tired many brands, many times and always the same outcome.

Just wondering if you've tried coconut oil? Many of the same benefits in Salmon can be found in coconut oil and some breeders swear by it...

(I didn't give Monte coconut oil, just wondering what your experience has been in case I face the same thing down the road.)

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:39 pm

pblove wrote:p.s. I do miss seeing Monty's pictures on here, he was really a handsome fella .

Thx, I miss the little Mon'ster, but I think we're almost ready to start the search.... :) :run:
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Next

Return to Health Issues