enlarged lymph nodes 6 week old puppy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

enlarged lymph nodes 6 week old puppy

Postby twisted » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Hello everyone. After the loss of socks and some grieving time i decided to get a new puppy.Her name is Bella.She is 6 weeks old and a hand full ;) running and prancing all over and loves to eat. she looks very healthy.

The previous owner had an "accidental" liter. She was a friend of a friend and truly seems to care about the dogs. the father and mother (pit bull and boston terrier) are all up to date on shots but pups have yet to be vet checked.I planned on doing that this week. i just got her yesterday (sat).

Last night i noticed one of her lymph nodes was swollen under her jaw bone.Its on the left side.you cant see it but you can feel it.Of course i started to freak out.

Nothing else seems to be wrong with her, maybe a little eye booger here and there but nothing else i can see.Im posting this just to see if anyone has any insight as to what it may be. I know it can prolly be anything.

Regardless she will be going to the vet this week.thank you for any help.

George

Say hi to Bella

twisted
Newborn Bully

Re: enlarged lymph nodes 6 week old puppy

Postby tiva » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi- I don't know about lymph nodes, but I do know that 6 weeks is FAR FAR too young for a puppy to leave her litter! She needs to be back with them, and getting her first vet check now. Here's a good guide to WHY staying with the litter is so very important at her young age: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/do ... asics.html
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Could be Puppy strangles!!! Get her to the vet ASAP!! Chloe had it when we got her, also way too young. It's an immune problem where the lymph nodes can swell to the point that they literally strangle the puppy. Steroids and antibiotics, but we just did antibiotics and she responded well, my vet didn't want to steroids if we didn't have to.
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby twisted » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:55 pm

now you have me worried even more.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:28 am

Sorry, do you see bumps on her at all? Better to be safe than sorry, I wasn't too worried until we got to the vet...
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:26 pm

It could be any number of causes. She is quite young and I always cringe when I hear that people have vaccinated the pups themselves. Vaccines shouldn't be given unless a pup is healthy and sometimes you can't tell that a pup is healthy without a vet visit.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby twisted » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:50 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:It could be any number of causes. She is quite young and I always cringe when I hear that people have vaccinated the pups themselves. Vaccines shouldn't be given unless a pup is healthy and sometimes you can't tell that a pup is healthy without a vet visit.

she has a vet visit tomorrow. i never planned on vaccinating her myself.

chinchi_&_chupa, she has no bumps at all or swollen face like that ive seen pics of with puppy strangles.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:20 pm

Chloé wasn't swollen either, the only symptom was a bumpy head. I'm interested in hearing what your vet says...
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Puppy Strangles was my first thought too, its not a big deal, just really uncomfortable for the dog for a while. You just need to get her in to see a vet.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby twisted » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:55 pm

yesterday Bella seen the vet and it was all good.he thinks she had a head cold and that was the cause of the swollen glands.she received her 1st shots and got a thumbs up from the vet! she is also free of worms.

however later that night she had a small spout of diarrhea. i think it might of been from a treat they gave her cause she doesnt have it now.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues