Grain Free, LowProtein diet for Skin, Kidney & Behavior?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Grain Free, LowProtein diet for Skin, Kidney & Behavior?

Postby EmmaLove » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm considering switching Emma's food, but after researching and reading tons of threads on here about different foods, I am TOTALLY confused! I'm sure it's been answered somewhere but I'm so overwhelmed by all of the info that I'm starting a new thread (sorry)!

I'm hoping for feedback & suggestions on a better diet/food that will benefit her skin/allergies, as well as aid in increasing seratonin (if that's possible?) or something for behavior/fear issues. And, possibly low protein.

Here's our situation:

Emma has been having skin issues and recently ear infections (vet thinks the ear infection is a result of allergies which got infected). Finished antibiotics for the ear, but it flared up again a few days after treatment. (I'm going to do a chamomile/vitamin E rinse in her ear today, after reading here and elsewhere that it may help until she sees a vet again).

Vet is also concerned that her kidney levels are elevated, and suggests looking into a lower protein diet. But it seems the lower protein diets are not grain free, which I believe she needs for her skin. Also, what I'm reading on various posts here is the protein thing and kidney disease is a myth. Oy, I'm so confused! However, she is very inactive, so I would think she would not need the high protein for that reason too.

On top of the health issues, she is also a very fearful and reactive dog. We've overcome a lot by working with a behaviorist, and she is on what seems to be a good cocktail of meds finally (Clomipromine and Gabapentin), but I wonder if a better diet may help improve things more (something with more tryptofan, or less of whatever foods that inhibit seratonin??).

Current Diet:
-Avoderm Revolving Menu Duck Recipe kibble, mixed with Merrick Grain Free Thanksgiving Day Dinner wet food. (I use wet food because she is on so many meds & supplements that it's the best way I've found to disguise her pills).

-Treats: Sometimes plain yogurt as a frozen treat, canned pumpkin once in a blue moon as a frozen treat, and homemade sweet potato chips/chews. Also the occasional random biscuit that we have around for our other dog.

She also takes Fish Oil, GlycoFlex II and Rimadyl. (GlycoFlex and Rimadyl because she has occasional back issues that flare up. Vet wants to take her off Rimadyl because the elevated kidney levels).

Avoderm: Protein 25%, Fat 16%, Moisture 10%, 446kcal/cup

Merrick: Protein 9%, Fat 5%, Moisture 81%, calories I can't find.

Any suggestions or thoughts on food alternatives for her?

Thanks in advance!
EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Re: Grain Free, LowProtein diet for Skin, Kidney & Behavior?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:25 am

For all those issues - a custom diet is your best bet.

I recommend www.petdiets.com
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmaLove » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:38 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:For all those issues - a custom diet is your best bet.

I recommend http://www.petdiets.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, that's a really great site... lots of possible options. Thank you!
EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:For all those issues - a custom diet is your best bet.

I recommend http://www.petdiets.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I second this!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:12 pm

You'll also need to supplement with probiotics/dirt to get the best benefit.
70% fat diets seem to be a sweet spot... and avoid issues with kidneys (rabbit starvation).
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues