what age to spay?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

what age to spay?

Postby BADCUDA » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:40 pm

was wondering what age everyone is spaying their dogs at.seen any where from two months to after first heat.we had our first done before first heat but cant remember what age for sure.
BADCUDA
Newborn Bully

Re: what age to spay?

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:30 pm

I prefer to spay prior to first heat cycle for many reasons. This is usually at the 6 month mark. Reasons are: after 1st heat chance of mamory gland cancer increases (my senior has this) after second heat it increases drastically, heat cycles are disgusting (blood and the smell!), behavior changes, private areas enlarge after heat cycles (my oldest has this issue), late spayed dogs have increased urinary issues (my oldest has this issue as well).

As for those that spay/neuter at the 2 month-prior to 6th month mark, these are usually rescue dogs from shelters or rescues and they require the dogs to be fixed prior to homing them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy using Tapatalk 2
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:11 pm

:goodpost: Ditto what she said...
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:52 am

Yep! What Curly said!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby pblove » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:51 am

you might want to do a search on this subject to help you learn more about this controversial subject
I just did a quick search, 'early effects of spaying and neutering in dogs, lots of pros and cons on both sides
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Pros and Cons to both sides, but very little is more risky than an increase in risk of mammary cancer to 10% after the 1st heat and 25% after the second heat. 50% of mammary cancer is neoplastic, 50% is not. I do monthly breast exams on my dog who was spayed late in life to monitor for development of masses so they can be removed before they spread to the lungs.

Dr. Google will probably mislead you. If you are going to spay, prior to the 2nd heat cycle is best. Before or after the 1st is a matter of preference.

Boy dogs have a lot more options with much later onset of health risks, so the spay/neuter age debate is much more relevant for males in my opinion.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues