Vet Advice? swollen glands

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Vet Advice? swollen glands

Postby twisted » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:37 pm

I know a few Vets frequent these pages and hopefully a couple could chime in.

I have had bella for 3 weeks now. she is doing great. Eating ,playing pooping and learning.as well as growing.she had her 1st shots 4 days after i got her at 6 weeks old.at that time she had slightly swollen lymph nodes in the neck.
now here is where iam concerned. i read that a vet should not vaccinate a dog that is sick.and lymph nodes show that her immune system is fighting something off.

now when i took her in i showed my vet her lymph nodes and he said they were "slightly" swollen and he vaccinated her anyway. everything checked out well. no worms, no fever etc. he said she might of had a slight cold.

I called last week and told him that the lymph nodes were still swollen.his response was that he didnt think it was anything serious.asked how she was doing. i said ,she is playing,eating and pooping all normal. he said if she acted lethargic to bring her in if not he will look again at her nodes when i bring her in for her 2nd shots.

should she have been vaccinated with the swollen glands? i do believe and trust in my vet and he gave me the impression that it wasn't serious. i did read that some vets will vaccinate a puppy with a minor illness (infected ear etc).

the other thing is what iam feeling,maybe they arent really to swollen? should you be able to feel them in a normal state? and last but not least,do i worry to much? lol

thank you for all the help :)
twisted
Newborn Bully

Re: Vet Advice? swollen glands

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Some dogs have glands that are very easy to feel, others are difficult. I can nearly wrap my fingers around Lenas salivary glands below her jaw, the lymph nodes are not as prominent.

If your vet wasn't worried, I wouldn't worry. Be sure to bring it up again at your next visit so you know what is normal and what is not, and get a recheck at the first sign the glands are larger, or if your pup is acting abnormal in any way, particularly not as playful as a puppy should be.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby twisted » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:56 pm

thank you. she is acting like a playful puppy.

we go for her 2nd round of shots tomorrow.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby twisted » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:51 pm

so bella got her 2nd set of shots today. she is in the clear to go play and socialize with other dogs! she gained over 4lbs in 3 weeks too.

the vet said that her glands might be that size normally.she has no temperature,no signs of illness etc. she said it could be from her teeth coming in.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues