anyone with issues with there dogs chewing feet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: anyone with issues with there dogs chewing feet

Postby El_EmDubya » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:13 am

mhocker10 wrote:the high Omega 6's I planned for and give the Omega 3 dose daily.(850mg DHA/EPA combined)

Bump that up to 1g/10lbs of dog for a while, especially since the dog was kibble fed. You'll need to be fixing the cellular 6:3 ratios for EVERY cell. You can also use MCT (flavorless) or coconut oil as a supplement.

mhocker10 wrote:I am also going to go to a local Mennonite farm tomorrow and haggle on prices.. they produce free range chicken, and grass fed beef -- probably a good place to source organs to.

LUCKY! I'd ask them about the Green Tripe (uncleaned cow intestines), as they may just give it to you.
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mhocker10 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:51 am

he was on a quality kibble (Natures Variety) for the 9 months prior to switching to raw. do you really think his Omegas would be that far out of balance even with the decent kibble he was fed?

I will definitely bring up the GT when I go to the farm...
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:39 pm

The problem is that many of these (quality) kibbles use vegetable oils as a replacement for saturated fats. Canola oil, and any other seed oil, causes IBS/digestive issues (which lead to nutritional problems) AND inflammation.
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mhocker10 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:01 am

2 meals on the new beef source with no bumps presenting during or after the meals... had to be something in the blood of the beef heart that was causing the issue.

I will double his dose of EPA/DHA for the rest of the week to build his Omega 3 levels.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby mhocker10 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:53 pm

I figured out the allergy... it is fresh cut grass... he only seems to get them the first few days after the grass is cut. I did correct his paw licking, very rarely do I see him licking now.

finally sourced beef kidney and pancreas... I should have them in next week. The butcher shop I go to, almost everyone knows I raw feed now and they pull out all kinds of cuts for me to look at. Today I got 3 pounds of beef liver ends for $4.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:28 pm

mhocker10 wrote: Today I got 3 pounds of beef liver ends for $4.

SWEET! :cool:
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 am

mhocker10 wrote:I figured out the allergy... it is fresh cut grass... he only seems to get them the first few days after the grass is cut. I did correct his paw licking, very rarely do I see him licking now.

finally sourced beef kidney and pancreas... I should have them in next week. The butcher shop I go to, almost everyone knows I raw feed now and they pull out all kinds of cuts for me to look at. Today I got 3 pounds of beef liver ends for $4.

My boy is allergic to grass. Even being on raw for years with a boosted immune system he still has issues with the environmental grass and pollens. I wipe or rinse his paws down with cool water when he comes inside. During the spring/summer months he gets at least 1 bath on his paws a week with a gentle herbal shampoo to avoid getting yeast or secondary infections.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:05 am

Have you tried probiotic supplements?

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mhocker10 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 am

El_EmDubya wrote:Have you tried probiotic supplements?

LMW

no, I haven't but I will look into it.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:37 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:Have you tried probiotic supplements?

LMW

If this was directed to me. Yes. He is on probiotic, standard process canine enteric support (prebiotic), fish oil, vitamin e, a couple others not related to allergy or digestion or allergy.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:20 pm

The question was for both of you. Thx!
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mhocker10 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:59 am

Kanobi isn't on a pro-biotic yet.... I finally got my beef kidney and pancreas today. Gave him a taste of both as I was cutting and he came back looking for more... the heart I got today was only about 3 lbs, usually they are around 5 lbs. I stocked up on chicken today, found it for .79 cents a pound.

his meals are, as daily: (I will be working in the kidney and pancreas slowly)

beef heart, beef liver + ~825mg EPA/DHA
chicken 1/4's or split breast or whole chicken, 2 chicken hearts, beef liver + ~825mg EPA/DHA

he gets pork now and then and I will be starting him on rabbit soon... I was able to source whole rabbits from a local reptile rescue.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby mhocker10 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Kanobis' foot chewing is gone. I tripled his fish body oil supplement to 2500mg a day(therapeutic dose) (fish body oil [EPA/DHA] is a natural anti-inflammatory). I am glad that is over with. He is now up to his daily intake of organs.. some days a bit more, depends on the main protein. I also make my own meat treats, and it is very easy....

Fridge Dried Treats:

Simply cut up a protein. I usually use chicken hearts and beef heart. I use kitchen shears and cut each heart in half... the beef heart gets cut into bite sized pieces depending on the size of your dog. Simply place in a tray or container, UNCOVERED in the fridge... in about 3 days you will have treats that are firm on the outside yet gummy like candy in the middle.(and NO, there is NO smell as they dry) My APBT goes nuts for them.... they are always a big hit at treat times and at bed.

His energy level is so "pure" now with NO spikes from carbs like in kibble. I must say, PMR Feeding is rather easy to do and requires little work other then cutting up meals and organs once a week.

1 month on RAW now and NEVER going back to kibble.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:50 am

Glad things have resolved!

I think a lot of people think RAW is harder than it is. I'm glad you are comfortable with it so soon. It took me a while to not be worrying about every little ounce. Once I got comfortable and switched my 5 cats over it us even easier.

My vet totally supports raw and is holistic. When I bring any of my zoo in for check ups he is so happy with their muscle tone, coat and condition. It s funny to look back at older pictures of Khan and then compare them to pics of him after switching to raw. The difference is amazing.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby mhocker10 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:02 am

when I started feeding raw I was an ounce counter as well. But as things have progressed, I am no longer worried about ounce counting. He gets roughly 2-3% of his body weight fed daily... meal sizes vary, so I just make sure it all works out by the week/month. He gets approx. 2 ounces of organs fed daily, with about 1/3rd of that as beef liver. Organs are now the only thing that I ounce count anymore., and are cut accordingly to weight per meal, with about 2-3 weeks worth cut and frozen, ready to feed.

my vet says Kanobi is extremely healthy and that what I am doing is working well for him, and to continue. His coat is very soft and shiny, which I attribute to both the fats in his meals as well as the daily fish oil dosage. His teeth are pearly white with no tartar whatsoever, no smelly breathe, and his body has a sweet smell to it. Add in the small poops that disintegrate into nothing in a day or 2, and also have no smell or very little depending on the main protein he was fed. All in all, I am very satisfied with the results thus far from feeding PMR.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues