Our first foster is HW+, Need advice with our resident dogs

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Our first foster is HW+, Need advice with our resident dogs

Postby DannyNyce » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:21 pm

We recently helped rescue a stray male Golden Retriever and with the help of a local rescue here in Florida we were able to get him vet care. It turns out he's HW+, has whip worm, hook worm and is also recovering from getting neutered.
We are currently fostering him in our house. This is our first dog that we officially foster even though is the 4th stray dog that we have helped in 2 years.

My concern is my 2 resident dogs. Both males, neutered, 4 years old, AmStaff and APBT. We have them separated but I'm concerned about them getting whip worm and hook worm from this other dog.

What are the things I can do to make sure or at least reduce the possibilities of my dogs getting sick?
I've done some research and this post and your comments are part of it as well.

The foster dog's HW treatment begins in about 2 weeks, after he's well from his neutering surgery. (which I don't understand why they neutered him and instead began his HW treatment first)... any idea?

All your comments are welcomed, thanks so much PBF!

:hi
DannyNyce
Super Bully

Re: Our first foster is HW+, Need advice with our resident d

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Can you potty him in a different area than your dogs? That would probably be the best idea although just picking the poop up right away should be enough I would think.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby DannyNyce » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:24 pm

sure, I can do that..
DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:56 pm

It's about impossible to get whip worms out of your yard once they get there, it has to freeze to like forty below. Not likely in Florida, or maybe they are already everywhere there? A lot of people whose dogs have whip worms have to keep them on one of those heart worm preventatives that also kills whip worms, trifexis and advantage are two examples.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby DannyNyce » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Can I let my dogs interact with our guest? They are so curious to know what's going on..
DannyNyce
Super Bully

Return to Health Issues