CCL repair walking video - Feedback wanted

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

CCL repair walking video - Feedback wanted

Postby Jazzy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:12 pm

OK here is a short video of Veronica walking yesterday (11/11). She had her surgery 11/8 and came home 11/9; so I am calling this the 3rd day.

For you guys with experience with the procedure...feedback please?

I was feeling pretty comfortable because I was told that some dogs don't even put the leg down until sutures are out or longer; then I saw a video on youtube w/ a dog at 3 days that had the same procedure and this dog seemed much farther along. I know every case in unique but I guess I am hoping for reassurance that we are in the ball park:

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Re: CCL repair walking video - Feedback wanted

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Quit looking and comparing! Every dog will handle it differently, Jersey was VERY cautious about putting weight on it, she was walking pretty similar to Veronica at this point, got a little better, then she got a seroma and stopped putting weight on it at all for quite a while.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Jazzy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:51 pm

I know, I know!!!! lol

It's just so easy to borrow trouble and fan the flames of paranoia!

But look at my restraint...I'm not even asking you about seroma; and I'm not going to google it either!!!!!!
Jazzy

Postby mtlu » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:59 pm

She looks great! Don't freak out about comparing her to other videos you are finding! lol

DO let her walk on dirt/sand/gravel - better traction and sand will make her toes want to grip and that is a better action to encourage her to use her foot. Asphalt isn't bad but it's still relatively smooth. We always walk Molly on asphalt/concrete but during her recoveries, we had to trim her nails because they grew long from walking on dirt/sand/grass. Walking in sand or even a few inches of water at the beach is similar to a poor man's water treadmill :)
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jazzy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:02 am

This may be a challenge...we had been avoiding grass because Veronica tried to throw herself down (so she can roll on her back) and that usually ends in jumping up and trying to zoomie...

however now we have this 2 leash system going recommended by the doc, so we have a leash on her collar and a leash on the very back loop of the harness and it does encourage her to go slower...

so now we can try the grass again!
Jazzy

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:31 pm

Looks good to me. As long as she is putting a reasonable amount of weight on the knee she is doing well. It should get better with time and be 90% or better by 6-8 weeks, some dogs are there by 4 weeks, but should not be allowed to do too much too soon..
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jazzy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Just wanted to give a little update:

We are actually at 8 weeks now and coming along. The rehab gave us a whole bunch of activities to do at home; and we bought one of those wobble boards that they had her on.

She is going up stairs slowly, but we are holding off on going down, only a few stairs at a time.

Jazzy

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:18 am

She looks great! Martin sends her love and kisses (and says he is oh SO happy that he had his legs done before that water therapy thing, he would have died) Those first weeks post surgery are so stressful, but she is doing great!
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jazzy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:12 am

Kingsgurl wrote:She looks great! Martin sends her love and kisses (and says he is oh SO happy that he had his legs done before that water therapy thing, he would have died) Those first weeks post surgery are so stressful, but she is doing great!

Veronica thanks Martin for the well wishes. And sends back the love (since he's a cute boy and she wouldn't want to immediately eat him 8) ).

She's coming along and still going to rehab once a week. She was pretty funny last time, she was all excited to follow her new friend the rehab therapist and trotted right in to the water treadmill...and then the door closed and it started filling up and she looked around and you could just read the "Oh @#$%" on her face lol .
Jazzy

Return to Health Issues