Stuffed Kong on raw diet?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Stuffed Kong on raw diet?

Postby Novy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Didn't come up with anything searching here or Google, may not be using the right terms or something. I am thinking of switching Iris to a raw or barf diet. The local coop always has stuff like beef organs and chicken necks cheap, I can get also get bones and scraps from a couple butchers for free. She's been getting the odd raw meaty bone lately and loved them. Anyway, I was wondering if people still use frozen Kongs at all while feeding raw? And if so what you put in them, as I've read that kibble should be avoided once on raw. The frozen Kong has sort of become a daily ritual for us when I leave to work. I've been mixing kibble, yogurt, some type of fruit (banana, berries, pumpkin puree, ect), the odd time peanut butter.
Novy
Newborn Bully

Re: Stuffed Kong on raw diet?

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:32 am

I still give Kongs with peanut butter. You can just stuff them with raw ground meat though. Although sticking to what you described, but not using kibble would probably be fine. =]
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:I still give Kongs with peanut butter. You can just stuff them with raw ground meat though. Although sticking to what you described, but not using kibble would probably be fine. =]

Raw meat stuffing sounds like a really bad idea to me. Just because dogs can eat gross things doesn't mean cleanliness isn't important. The inside of a Kong does not clean easily and this should be taken into account when making choices.

Peanut butter or a quality canned food are probably better choices. There is also a Kong recipe thread that has a lot of fun ideas.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby amalie79 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:08 pm

We feed raw and do frozen Kongs similar to the ones you describe (sometimes I mix some canned food with the yogurt). I used to really worry about mixing...

Now, we use large and XL kongs. I do still mix grain free kibble in and a grain free biscuit often frozen in the middle. When it's all said and done, it's a table spoon or two of kibble and one biscuit and they get it 2- 2 1/2 hours after breakfast, so I'm not all that worried.

The other thing we used to do, when I still worried about adding kibble, was to cook some ground turkey and mix it with the yogurt or cottage cheese. I even sometimes froze the ground meat so that it was even firmer. I've also used chopped up food rolls (Red Barn or Natural Balance) in lieu of kibble.

I'm not comfortable putting raw meat in their Kongs for a couple of reasons-- one is that they are there with the Kongs for 7 hours (not every single day) and that's not sanitary. And those things are not easy to clean. I don't want to be washing them, scrubbing them, using a bottle brush, etc. to get them clean. :/
amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby amalie79 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Also! There was a article I saw recently, can't remember where... that said mixing fruit and raw lead to an increased risk for bloat? We don't do a lot of fruit, so I haven't thought much more about it.
amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:58 pm

I don't use the kongs much now that my dogs are raw fed but when needed I stuff with ground meat or poultry hearts. Nothing is easy to clean out of those things so not sure it matters.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:05 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Celesteandthebullies wrote:I still give Kongs with peanut butter. You can just stuff them with raw ground meat though. Although sticking to what you described, but not using kibble would probably be fine. =]

Raw meat stuffing sounds like a really bad idea to me. Just because dogs can eat gross things doesn't mean cleanliness isn't important. The inside of a Kong does not clean easily and this should be taken into account when making choices.

Peanut butter or a quality canned food are probably better choices. There is also a Kong recipe thread that has a lot of fun ideas.

This is silly. I feed ground raw meals from frozen Kongs all the time. Kongs go in the dishwasher and clean up really easily...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Bambina23 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:43 pm

I can understand if your dogs lose interest in a kong and the filling may sit there to leave out raw meats. However, using your same yogurt, veggies, PB frozen mix will be fine. I put my Kongs in the dishwasher to disinfect them as well.....
Bambina23
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:09 pm

Do dishwasher temperatures sterilize? Like autoclave sterilize??

Because that sounds like a super awesome way to spread salmonella to your human dishes to me...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Well, guess I can never eat chicken again, since that would require it to touch a dish before cooking! And I could never cut it into pieces before cooking, since the knife and cutting board would be forever tainted! Since it is apparently impossible to wash salmonella off.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:50 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:Well, guess I can never eat chicken again, since that would require it to touch a dish before cooking! And I could never cut it into pieces before cooking, since the knife and cutting board would be forever tainted! Since it is apparently impossible to wash salmonella off.

Ceramic, plastic and metal are not porous materials with chew marks in them. It's your family, do what you want...

I mean, god forbid your raw fed dogs ever have anything else to eat as treats, how shameful.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Savage Destiny » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:03 am

Plastic is porous, and plastic cutting boards have plenty of marks and grooves in them. So I can never cut raw chicken again? Really limits my cooking options.

Riddle has had cancer and eats zero carbs, so yes it is hard to find Kong stuffings she can have. Melon has digestive issues and cannot handle things like whole bones or bully sticks, so frozen ground raw in a Kong is one of his only recreational chew options. But thanks for your opinion from up there on your high horse.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Do dishwasher temperatures sterilize? Like autoclave sterilize??

Because that sounds like a super awesome way to spread salmonella to your human dishes to me...

Yes because peanut butter, kibble, treats and canned foods have NEVER been recalled for bacteria. lol
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:55 pm

GoingPostal wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:Do dishwasher temperatures sterilize? Like autoclave sterilize??

Yes because peanut butter, kibble, treats and canned foods have NEVER been recalled for bacteria. lol

And while that is true, they do not have near the level of concern as raw meat.

I have a plastic board I use for cutting bread and cooked foods and a wood one for raw meats. Plastic cutting boards have been shown to harbor bacteria in the grooves even after washing. For some unknown reason, studies found wood to be a safer choice for meats.

Like I said, it's your kitchen. I feed raw on occasion but would never put it in a kong.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:23 pm

I don't use kongs for feeding raw. I just give them a raw meaty rib bone. It takes the same amount of time for the dog to clean out the kong as it does to get all the meat/cartilage off the bone. What's left of the bone goes in the trash and I use a Lysol wipe on the tile where they were eating. :)
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues