Color Dilution Alopecia

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Color Dilution Alopecia

Postby ilovetyson » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Emmy was at the vet today because she was super itchy since we got her at 8 weeks (She is now 5.5mo old) and has seen a vet a few times and all was said to be Allergies. So she has been on zyrtec 2x a day. We have had her on Taste of the wild FIsh puppy since we got her. And just as of this week, Switched to Wellness puppy to see if it was the food. We have also been bathing her in the medicated bath my normal vet gave me to help. And we bath her 2x a week if needed *As he said it was ok with the medicated to do that*

Well, the vet today was a Dermatologist and told me that She actually has dead Demodex mites which could be causing the itchyness is the Demodex. But she also has some random Hairloss. It isn't scaley or anything. It is all around her face and spots on her one back thigh and shoulder on same side. He said he thinks she may have CDA. I have never heard of it. But, It affects Blue and Fawn dogs. And she is a form of Fawn with some Blue tones lol. Sooo And he doesn't feel it is allergies due to none of the TYPICAL allergie spots are affected. And she is too young to get a good answer from a allergy test. So we are going to try other things to try to "Fix" this.. and go to the allergy test closer to a year if needed.

I walk her on a Sensation harness and put a Fleece wrap around the band on her chest that is behind her front legs. But, she has been fighting raw horrid swelling behind her front legs for weeks! (And has a funny smell) if not months! And we have tried to keep a dog shirt on her to keep her from scratching her pits. But, she has now figured out how to wiggle out of the shirt. She ends up with the neck around her waist SMH!

And so, walked her on her Martingale collar today and now her neck is raw red and has hairloss. :( So, I am not sure what to do/use to walk her now. Her face/Muzzle area is already almost hairless VERY thin hair. And when she scratches her face it turns red. So, I don't want to use a Gentle leader with the fear it will make her mouth worse when she paws and drags her nose on the ground getting used to it.

So, My question is this. Has anyone here ever delt with CDA? And if so, what did/do you do to help help?
I am not sure what I can do to help. He did give me some "Calm Mousse" Made by Douxo. It is to help allergy itchies. So I am rubbing this on her pits, Chest and Belly. Hoping this helps. /sigh Also was told to give her benedryl as needed.
I am trying to read up on it some, But everyone has there own opinions and what works for there dogs. Most are Silver labs or Dobie's. But, I have not seen anything on a pit bull yet.

So I am hoping i can get your opinions/thoughts/recommendations. :) :pray

http://www.vetinfo.com/color-dilution-a ... ogs.html#b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a pic from a cpl weeks ago. You can kind of see her thinning hair on her face and back thigh.
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Color Dilution Alopecia

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:19 pm

Are you treating for demodex? If not, I'd ask your dermatologist if you can try treatment.

If your dog is itchy, it is not color dilution alopecia.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:37 pm

This sounds EXACTLY like what I go through with my Chloé! She's basically bald, except for peach fuzz, on her whole underneath and behind her ears. She has very thin and shorter hair on the backs of her thighs and on her face around her eyes and mouth. Her "normal" hair is also shorter and thinner than either of my others. She's been this way since we got her at around 6-7 weeks and she has ALWAYS had some kind of immune problem going on. She had Puppy Strangles when we got her.

Chloé has allergies! Both food, to chicken and grains (not sure which ones, but she's fine if I stay "grain free"), and environmental/seasonal. The food allergies normally pop up in bumps all over her and the environmental she scratches and scratches and scratches, at what, I can't see...she scratches her pits and ears like crazy when the weather changes...here in AZ its basically from hot to cold and cold to hot, but for a few weeks twice a year, Gentocin Spray and Benadryl are our best friends! My Vet, who is also my friend, did mention something she had one of her Dobies on that was along the lines of Chemo that appeared to have her hair grow in thicker, she also has allergies, but said hair loss wasn't a good enough reason to put Chloé on it.

Welcome to the itchy freak club ;)
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby ilovetyson » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Yes, she was dosed with Promeris. Which is why her Mites were dead.

We are doing benedryl now, we were doing Zyrtec 2x a day for her itchies, But it wasn't doing much. So, we went to Benedryl. :-/ I Just hate seeing her so miserable.
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues