Knee Braces

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Knee Braces

Postby Tigerbeck » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Hello,

I have an ~11 year old pit who was very active and lively and then she took a tumble playing in the house. About two days after the tumble she started limping a little. I took her to the vet and there was a tad bit of play in the knee like perhaps a partial tear. The vet ordered a month of strict bed rest hoping the scar tissue would form and heal the partial tear which we have done, but she lifts the leg completely now instead of a little limp.

I do not want to put her through surgery but have seen braces like the ones listed below. The vet said braces can't immobilize the leg high enough, but maybe she doesn't have experience with them enough. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with a knee brace.

Becky

http://www.handicappedpets.com/help-pet ... tml#STIFLE
http://www.woundwear.com/product3.cfm#
Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Re: Knee Braces

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Anecdotally I have heard good things about the braces but the ortho surgeon who saw my old girl told me not to waste my money.

I'd say, if you can afford one, what have you got to lose? We couldn't put our old lady under a general anesthetic either.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Knee Braces

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:18 am

Our rehab doctor does not like them, and she uses braces a lot for ankles and wrists. The knee joint in a dog is too wide up top and too narrow below making the knee difficult to fit properly, knee braces are more likely to slip or cause pressure sores than to provide stabilization. It's just a pros vs cons issue where the canine knee just doesn't work well.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues