2 month old Nipsey pooping blood HELP

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

2 month old Nipsey pooping blood HELP

Postby NipseyBlu » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi, my 2 month old pitbull is pooping blood lately mixed in.....not sure how to approach...I took him to the vet before when there was light red in his poop & they said possible dehydration...gave us medicine & he was good after that...Water is set for him at all times...Dont know how he can be dehydrated this time. But his bloodyness is a bit more worse than before...any suggestions or help please! :(
NipseyBlu
Newborn Bully

Re: 2 month old Nipsey pooping blood HELP

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Did they test for parvovirus? What about rodent poison, is there any way he could have gotten into any? I would get him to the vet right away, emergency vet if you have one where you live.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby NipseyBlu » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:21 pm

He tested negative for Parvo... Im thinking its something that he ate because he seems to be himself & active....He also eats the same....Its been the last 4 times he's pooped...he nips and chews at a lot of twigs n grass....as much as I tell him not too & not let him he finds a way..could that possibly be causing?
NipseyBlu
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:11 pm

I would just get him to the vet pronto. This doesn't sound like something we should be doing armchair diagnosing on.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby NipseyBlu » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:33 am

dogs4jen wrote:I would just get him to the vet pronto. This doesn't sound like something we should be doing armchair diagnosing on.

As I did. Still no idea what is causing it...Vet gave some antibiotics to settle his stomach...& took a sample of his poop. Thats it. I'm just trying to find out what it could be. Still clueless at this point.
NipseyBlu
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:44 am

Hmm, how about giardiasis? Austin had pretty awful diarrhea when he had it, I don't remember any blood though.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby NipseyBlu » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:51 am

Not sure..I'm hoping that its not too major due to the fact that he's still active/playful as well as eating the same...But pooping blood is no exception. I get the results from his sample tomorrow evening, I will keep you posted & update...Thank you & appreciate!
NipseyBlu
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:08 am

A stool sample is definitely the first step. Any number of parasites can cause blood in the stool. Glad you got pup to your vet. :)
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby turtle » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Your vet should check him for worms. Hook worms can cause blood in their poop. Is it fresh bright red blood or dark blackish tarry looking blood?

Fresh bright red blood in the poop usually means some sort of irritation at the end of the digestive tract, i.e. worms, the dark tarry looking blood is partly digested and could mean any number of more serious causes.

My old dog started have some bright red blood in her poop some months ago and the vet said it was worms so I wormed her with Fenbendazole as per the vet's recommendation, and this solved the problem, no more blood in the poop.

Pups often have worms and worms can be tough to get rid of, so it's worth asking your vet about it. If you do find he has worms, be sure to pick up and get rid of any poop in the yard as worms and their eggs can live a long time in the soil.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:47 am

A stool sample was a good step. If they sent it out to lab for testing, it may take a while to hear back on results.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby NipseyBlu » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:05 am

Nipsey's stool results came back negative for worms/parasites! Thank God...& Thank you for all of your guys help & concern! Always very much appreciated. Still unsure of what the cause could have been though...I'm guessing something he ate or some lack of nutrients? But now that we are giving Nipsey is antibiotics & his poop is starting to get solid & back to normal with no blood, under his tail & rectum is a bit brighter red...Kind of like a irritating rash...I'm guessing its because of the diarrhea? Should I still be concerned and/or is there anything I can do to make it better?
NipseyBlu
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:37 am

It definitely could be from the diarrhea, it could also be if he was doing a lot of licking (due to the diarrhea) and now he has a yeast infection. It could also be that his anal glands are full and irritated. If you can-have the vet look at it again. If not, what I would do (and I'm no professional) is make a solution of 50/50 water and vinegar and wet a paper towel with it and pat his bum a couple times a day to see if it helps. And then if it didn't get better I'd take him in. I know, it can be a pain in the ass to keep going back to the vet, but sometimes you gotta.

We had a bought of butt bleeding with our boy Trooper once-way back when...and we took him in because we'd left him loose in our bedroom (he was previously crated) and he ate everything! Tore up a leather belt, ruined a bra, chewed on the window sill, pulled our sheets back and tore up the egg crate padding we had on the bed. We took him in for x-rays because we couldn't find the buckle to the belt. We were told he was full of poop but no buckle. He ended up being diagnosed with colitis (likely from all the weird chocolate he ate). So maybe your pup got into something that just didn't sit will with him and it caused some colitis. *shrugs*

We ended up finding the belt buckle in a pile of dirty clothes that were by the hamper but not in it...as if he burried it there.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Return to Health Issues