Bella ate an Xmas light

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Bella ate an Xmas light

Postby twisted » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:07 am

Hey all, 1st off merry xmas!

tonight i was looking around and i found a small xmas light broken up.all that was left was a bit of the tip of the glass and some small broken pieces. the rest i assumed she swallowed. :wow yes i freaked out and iam still.

its xmass eve no vet open and so i couldnt call them but i did do some online research. now if she did ingest some glass its not alot at all and nothing large but regardless its glass.

so i gave her some bread and will watch her every time she poops. any advice for me? thanks

by the way, bella is just about 6 months old and now weighs around 25 lbs.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Re: Bella ate an Xmas light

Postby turtle » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Ahhh the joys of puppies!

The best remedy for a dog eating sharp objects like glass pieces is to feed them several cotton balls. Those will wrap about the sharp pieces so they will pass thru safely.

You can soak the cotton balls in milk or cream as most dogs will eat them that way, or you can put them down her throat like you would a pill.

There is lots of info about this on line, just look up "dog ate glass shards" or similar and there are lots of links.

Here are a couple links I found quickly --

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/holidaytip.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 432AA3jfBk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She should be fine but I would give her the cotton balls as they do cover the sharp pieces.

Merry Christmas!
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby twisted » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:12 pm

thanks for the links.

i called the emergency vet last night. they told me i was doing the right thing by giving her bread. they told me the bread would coat any small pieces plus she had food in her stomach and that will help too. they said if she showed any problems like bleeding or straining etc to take her to the vet. so far so good.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:15 am

Bread digests/disappears in the digestive tract. That means the glass is loose in the intestines and can do damage. Cotton does not digest and gets pooped out.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:49 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:Bread digests/disappears in the digestive tract. That means the glass is loose in the intestines and can do damage. Cotton does not digest and gets pooped out.

Cotton can also clump up and cause an obstruction - seen it.

I recommend feeding a high fiber food and monitoring. Not much else you can do because the pieces are too small to remove surgically.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Such as canned pumpkin?
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:54 pm

dogs4jen wrote:Such as canned pumpkin?

Yup, or W/D prescription diet (probably the only thing I use it for).
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues