Greetings from hopeful future pit owner! Advice welcome!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Greetings from hopeful future pit owner! Advice welcome!

Postby pruett » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Hello everyone.

Intro
My name is Kevin. I'm 28, currently living in NYC. I do not currently own any dogs, but have my eyes set on a pit come February 2014, when I move to a more "dog-friendly" neighborhood in NJ. I'm here to learn as much as possible about the breed, and converse with passionate pitbull owners before I make the transition into soon becoming a dog owner myself.

Why a Pitbull?
My interest in the breed is a result of multiple encounters with loyal, well-balanced, friendly pitbulls. This, in direct opposition of the general public's consensus of the breed, led me to become even more interested, and subsequently the front-runner as my breed of choice. I believe pitbulls exude all the characteristics that I'm looking for in a dog: loyalty, love, companionship, intelligence, and strength. It will be my personal goal as a pitbull owner to completely shift the minds of those who are afraid and/or do not understand the breed, into believers. As we all know, there are many! I take this responsibility very seriously, and hope all pitbull owners realize the weight of responsibility they bare as ambassadors of the breed.

Questions/Concerns
In my quest to find my future pit, I'm faced with the decision of seeking out a breeder or rescuing from a shelter. I understand that this forum very much in favor of the latter. My concern with rescuing is simply the fact that I do not have the ability to see to the parents and will not likely know the history of the pup (what brought them there, etc.) which inhibits my ability to assess its temperament. I know this forum is not about posting links to kennels, etc, but I would love to hear what other pitbull owners have to say about this topic. Additionally, I would like to reach out to the community about dog aggression in pitbulls. Maybe this is better suited for its own topic, but again, any feedback on training your pitbull to be dog friendly is very much appreciated.

In my day to day, I'm a programmer, designing and building for the web. This is the first forum I've joined since '01.

Excited to learn and converse,
Kevin
pruett
Newborn Bully

Re: Greetings from hopeful future pit owner! Advice welcome!

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi I'm happy to hear you are researching into this breed before getting one. I wish I did that lol. You seem to have all the right reasons to become a pitbull owner.

Many of the members, including myself, are all for rescue. I understand why you are cautious. You do not get a history of temperament or medical. But it's so rewarding to know you saved a life with limited days, and you just opened up a spot for another life to be saved. With each dog being an individual, you could still come to health issues or maybe even temperament issues from a breeder and having the history. I feel rescue is very well worth it. Just with my experience with local shelters in my area, pitbulls are the second most popular (because chihuahuas are more populated) and a specific shelter has a 90% euthanasia rate for pitbulls. This is simply because they are overpopulated, and not many people will adopt them, not because they are unadoptable.

I'm glad you asked about dog aggression also because its important to be aware how susceptible this breed is to it. You should also know they tend to have high prey drives. Socialization is key. I've had my dog Bella from being a pup and once fully vaccinated, I introduced her to a mature and well mannered dog at first which i think was a good start, shes socialized well with dogs ever since. Many members on here will tell you to stay away from dog parks, I definitely agree and I would recommend reading the dog park thread. Obedience classes are good also. Socializing with dogs you feel are appropriate in a controlled area I think may be the best way. Look into body language of dogs too.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pruett » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely give shelters some serious consideration.
pruett
Newborn Bully

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:18 am

I don't like dealing with puppies and didn't want to support a backyard breeder (which covers about 99% of the ones out there) so we have all adult dogs, two from shelters, one was an owner rehome but I have no idea of their breeding or history or all of that stuff. They have their quirks and health issues due to cruddy breeding but they are perfectly friendly, normal, happy dogs.

Despite what some sources will tell you it's not "all in how they are raised". You can't get a pup and just train or socialize it into a dog and human friendly animal just because you try really hard. Genetics has a big play. Pit bulls generally aren't great with other dogs, they can often live with compatible housemates but there's management involved to keep the peace and it depends on the dogs personalities. Some are unable to be around other dogs safely, others will start a fight given a reason and it doesn't take much. Some are great with other dogs and animals for life but you shouldn't expect it, they are terriers so prey drive is common along with dog aggression. A well bred APBT is probably more likely than your average shelter "pet" bull to have these traits along with being more drivey since this is meant to be a working breed.

Anyways read the stickies around the forum, I'm sure there's something on finding a responsible breeder and/or rescue, not all are equal or legit. It's great you are doing your research in advance.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:45 am

My girl was clearly neglected (large leg wound, recent litter) when I adopted her, and she's the most wonderful companion I could ask for. I spent several weeks watching petfinder, and visited several shelters before choosing Thumbelina. Despite her history, she had the temperament I was looking for, and as an adult dog, she hasn't changed a bit since then.

Our next dog will be a puppy (a hunting dog, so fewer rescue options) and I'm a little nervous. Puppies are a lot of work and hassle in my opinion.

I will always have a pittie, and can't imagine getting anything other than a rescue.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:59 am

On the issue of dog aggression, the vast majority of pit bulls have a high prey drive, like any terrier. My dog will catch and kill any small furries in the yard (we have an acreage) but she knows "her" cats and protects them like family. She has some dogs she gets along with, but most dogs she doesn't like. If the other dog is at all anxious, barking etc. she's the same and without management I have no doubt there could be quite a fight. We just avoid other dogs by walking at lesser traveled times and places, and when we pass other dogs on a walk we make it clear we don't want to make friends by stepping off the sidewalk and waiting for the other dog to pass. Depending on the other dogs behavior sometimes there is noisy drama, other times she sits and waits politely.

Accept now that you new dog will probably not want to make new friends. My dog loves her housemates thanks to very slow and proper introductions, and that's all any of us need. Also plan on keeping your dog crated separately from other animals if you have any plans to add a companion down the road. I feel this way about all breeds of dogs, but never trust even the best of friends not to fight while you are not home.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:31 am

Hi Kevin! Welcome to the forum-I hope to give you access to the forum later today (visiting family, away from a computer at the moment). You sound like you're going to be a great asset to the breed community and we'll be lucky to have you.

Both of my dogs are "rescues". We really only rescued one (from the mean streets of Deltona). The other we adopted off of PBRC. Based on what his previous owner said-he was dropped off in a box at roughly 6 weeks old (with his siblings) at her work and she took care of him. I guess in that aspect we knew his history. We adopted him at about 2.5 years old. He's 8 now.

I always advocate for rescue/adoption versus buying from a breeder. Unless you intend to show your dog, do agility with them or something along those lines-what's the point. And honestly-most times you can do those sort of things with a rescue. I know most breeders will have some "pet" quality dogs...but generally if there good breeders the dogs wi be bred for a specific purpose.

If you decide to go with a breeder do you know which breed specifically you're interested in? Typical the breeds that fall under the umbrella term "Pit Bull" are American Pit Bull Terrier (breed enthusiasts will tell you this is the only true pit bull), American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terriers (sometimes) and Ambullies.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:25 am

Kevin-you now have access-please enjoy!
:modwelcomeonly3:
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Return to Introductions