Nipsey eating his rubber/rope toy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Nipsey eating his rubber/rope toy

Postby NipseyBlu » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:40 am

I recently bought him a small rubber tire connected with a rope at PetSmart last week, thinking that it would be a long lasting toy because he usually goes through a good amount of toys pretty quick. Lol but I noticed that as he got use to the tire, he started chewing on it (which I believe thats what its for) but he was consuming small rubber particles from him chewing at it so much. I just want to know if thats okay or if I should toss it? I just get an uncomfortable feeling lol any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
NipseyBlu
Newborn Bully

Re: Nipsey eating his rubber/rope toy

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:10 am

Personally I try to prevent our dogs from swallowing anything that isn't food/water. I mean-it happens-don't get me wrong...but overall I really don't like the idea of it. One of our dogs in the 7.5 years we've had her has eaten maybe...3 inappropriate things. Our other dog has to be monitored with his toys. He's been praised enough for spitting out pieces that he chews off of a toy that I think it's become habit for him...but if we see him swallow a piece we take the toy away (either for a time out or to toss the toy).

It's up to you....but if he isn't passing the rubber through his system it could cause a blockage.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Chunks of rubber aren't good to have in the digestive tract. I'd get rid of the toy - it's expired. :)

Having bulldog type dogs makes you come to realize that most "Tough" dog toys . . . .really aren't. lol
My Boxer is easy on toys, but my Pit Bull is a land shark. lol
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:20 pm

Yep, definitely toss it!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby NipseyBlu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:13 am

Thank you all for your helpful replies! Very much appreciated! I think the best toy I have bought has to be the old fashion laser pointer! LOL keeps him occupied for hours!!! hahaha
NipseyBlu
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:32 am

Please read up on OCD in dogs. Laser pointers cause severe OCD issues, and this in return will cause the dog to have a very miserable life. Sometimes it gets so severe, euthanasia is the best thing...so please read up on it and stop using the LP immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:30 pm

Agreed!
They are very bad to use with predatory animals because they only amp up the dog and give it nothing to bite(release of tension/stress). So they have the chase, but never a catch, nor a smell. It's not good for them at all.

My brother's Golden Retriever will slam himself into the wall going after sun spots/reflections because they thought a laser pointer was a good idea. It's very common for dogs to get OCD from it.

Toys need to be physical - something they can catch/bite. An actual, physical object(mock prey).
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby NipseyBlu » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:53 am

Damn had no idea, still learning these things. Thanks for letting me know and informing me!
NipseyBlu
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:03 pm

Check the equipment section for toy recommendations. Most of us have toy destroying dogs!
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Return to Health Issues