poop-chute problems

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

poop-chute problems

Postby Stormi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:43 pm

With an issue like this, I figured the topic at least needed an amusing subject title...

I haven't posted here in a very, very long time - probably like 2 years or so. Jack is almost 9 now (seriously, when the heck did that happen??!), and oldmanhood is starting to creep up on him. For the past 2 months, we've battling some, at times horrendous, diarrhea issues (no, it has nothing to do with holiday food). Seemingly out of nowhere, he began having these issues with an urgency that at times has had me up 3 times to take him out in the middle of the night (yay sleep depravation), plus done his business in the house while I was at work (at least he has good aim for cleanable surfaces!). Shortly after the issue started and it was clear it wasn't just a fluke thing, we went into the vet and he was prescribed some Metronidazole, we've added pumpkin and probiotics into his daily diet, and gradually switched his food at the suggestion that it could possibly be a newly developed food intolerance. We tested everything you possibly can on a fecal test and everything has come back negative. He kinda waxed and waned thru December, some days he was doing great, others not so much. He went back into the vet a few days ago after a paticularly bad spell - new diet doesn't seem to have made a difference and probiotics aren't improving anything- and he's on a second round of Metronidazole (more of a temp fix to at least get his system calmed down), and we've added FortiFlora into his daily diet. We're not sure exactly what the culprit is but the vet suggested possible Colitis, which is fairly consistant with everything I've researched. If he's still having issues once this round of meds is done, she's suggested looking at putting him on a prescription diet.

Anyone else dealt with sudden but chronic poop problems? Tips, tricks, pointers, advise, etc.? I hate that I'm essentially having to medicate my dog to poop properly, especially since he's never had digestive issues in his life, but I also get that he's not a spring chicken anymore. Whatever I need to do to keep him happy and healthy is fine by me, I just want assurance that I'm doing the right thing.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Re: poop-chute problems

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 pm

Have you tried an elimination diet?

Like only feeding canned sardines for a week?
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Stormi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:19 pm

We did a bland diet for about a week after his first vet visit, but that was also while he was on meds so it's tough to say if it had any effect or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:04 pm

"bland" wouldn't give you the information you need. You need to minimize ingredients. Feed a fish ONLY diet for a week and see if the issues continue. You'll need to feed a canned fish diet, to include some bone, as an all protein diet is just asking for kidney issues.

If this is an auto-immune issue (which GI issues are quite often the earliest indicator), you'll need to minimize any allergen (wheat, corn, soy, and dairy) and really boost immunity factors through clean food sourcing, probiotics, and low carb (lowering inflammation) strategies.

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Stormi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:00 pm

Well, by bland I mean strictly meat and pumpkin. Maybe that's note bland enough for what you are talking about, here, though. The diet he was on previously as well as the new one do not contain any of the typical wheat, dairy, corn, soy allergens anyway. He's been on a mostly fish-based, grain-free diet for a number of years.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby BabyReba » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:34 pm

poor jack. wish i had some advice to offer. hope you get some answers soon.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 pm

Stormi wrote:Well, by bland I mean strictly meat and pumpkin.

I'd do a pure elimination diet. Start with canned whole fish, NOT in oils (which are likely soy, canola, or other veg oils that are NOT healthy for the GI). The bones are important and will allow you to do an elimination diet for longer than just fish meat.

No treats, nothing but whole canned fish, of the same kind, for a week. Supplement with salmon oil, one squirt/10lbs of dog. (This is a high protein diet ketogentic diet, so you'll need to supplement with fats. If you don't want to use salmon oil, duck tallow is easy to find and less likely to cause allergic issues.)
Then add cooked 1/2c sweet potato/day for a week and continue with salmon oil or duck tallow.
Then switch your meat to either steak or chicken.

You'll likely know within 2 weeks whether it is a food issue. Some dogs are very sensitive to what the "meat" is fed, so this is an easy way to determine if it is a sourcing issue, or a specific protein. Fish is the least likely to cause an allergic reaction, so it is the best place to start.

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby turtle » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:45 pm

El_EmDubya wrote: I'd do a pure elimination diet. Start with canned whole fish, NOT in oils (which are likely soy, canola, or other veg oils that are NOT healthy for the GI). The bones are important and will allow you to do an elimination diet for longer than just fish meat.

No treats, nothing but whole canned fish, of the same kind, for a week. Supplement with salmon oil, one squirt/10lbs of dog. (This is a high protein diet ketogentic diet, so you'll need to supplement with fats. If you don't want to use salmon oil, duck tallow is easy to find and less likely to cause allergic issues.)
Then add cooked 1/2c sweet potato/day for a week and continue with salmon oil or duck tallow.

You'll likely know within 2 weeks whether it is a food issue. Some dogs are very sensitive to what the "meat" is fed, so this is an easy way to determine if it is a sourcing issue, or a specific protein. Fish is the least likely to cause an allergic reaction, so it is the best place to start.

LMW

Yes! My old dog has been having similar issues and now cannot eat the foods she has eaten for the last 10 years. The elimination diet works, and I now know my old gal can't eat chicken, beef, rice, nor kibble.

I cooked fish for her, catfish which I really don't like as it is farm raised and then I found whiting filets for $5 for 2 pounds frozen and I boil those for 5 min in water. I also gave her ground egg shells for calcium and canned mackerel.

My old dog does great on the fish and the sweet potato elimination diet, now we are adding some ground raw venison and bone from Blue Ridge Beef company and so far she is doing well on it too.

It is a slow process to find out what they can and can't eat. Hope you can find what works for Jack!
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:00 pm

No advice Stormi, but I'm sorry that you and Sir Pinkerton are going through this. Hope he's on the mend asap!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Stormi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:05 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:
I'd do a pure elimination diet. Start with canned whole fish, NOT in oils (which are likely soy, canola, or other veg oils that are NOT healthy for the GI). The bones are important and will allow you to do an elimination diet for longer than just fish meat.

LMW

Gotcha. We will give that a shot! Thanks for all the detail!

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues