Mast Cell Tumors

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Mast Cell Tumors

Postby pitbulliest » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:45 pm

I was reading the sticky on mast cell tumors and I am curious as to whether they can be floating on the skin. My dog has one on her stomach but it is right in the skin and basically moves with the skin. It is not 'attached' to the body itself and does not move on the body, just on the skin, as though it was right in the epidermal region. It just looks like a small lump and is soft. The doctor has seen it when I take her in for her yearly and said it is not cancerous, but my girl has never had any testing done on it to date. The only thing the doctor said is that if it gets too big and becomes bothersome to have it removed. It is more likely a fat deposit. Any comments?
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Mast Cell Tumors

Postby Cindersmommy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:48 am

My 7 year old female pitbull had a lump on her back leg for about a year that 2 vets checked and assured me it was just a cyst. Last time was Aug. 2013. Four weeks ago I had them aspirate it just for my own peace of mind. It was a mass cell tumor. Had it removed along with 2 other new lumps. All mass cells grade 2!!!!! Any lumps I find on any of my dogs will now always be aspirated. I hope to never let them down on this again. My recommendation would be to definitely have it aspirated and then u will know what it is.
Cindersmommy
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:15 am

We have similar stories to both of yours. Our girl Bailey had a growth near her elbow that the vet always kept an eye but never seemed concerned. It changed in shape and size, and became a problem as she'd bump it or make it bleed during normal activity. The vet removed it and sent it off to be tested and it was hemangiosarcoma. I can't remember the grade, but it came back with clear margins.

Our other dog Trooper-has a couple of those floating fatty deposit looking things that we have the vet look at...and again-no concern. The difference is-with Trooper we've had them aspirated (and they've come back as nothing) The thing on Bailey, to me, didn't look like it could be aspirated. Now, I basically have no medical animal knowledge-so I could be completely wrong...but it kind of looked like a weird skin tag.

I went back and looked-it was grade 1 stage one: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=149075&hilit=+hemangiosarcoma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Mast cell tumors can be anywhere and look like anything. Luckily most donate cells well for analysis with a simple needle biopsy. All new masses should be checked in this way.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues