After care of blockage surgery

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

After care of blockage surgery

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Roscoe had surgery for a blockage yesterday. They said they retrieved a peach pit out of him, which I don't have the foggiest idea where he could have gotten. We haven't had peaches since they were In season this summer. Anyways, we have one of those inflatable donut collars, but I am wondering if I should order one of those comfy cones. Then I was thinking maybe one of those DAP diffuser might help more. Any suggestions are welcome.
I keep wondering where the heck he would have gotten the peach pit. The only thing I can think of is maybe a squirrel got it out of the compost bin and Roscoe got it when my husband played with him in the yard last weekend. I guess it doesn't matter now. Roscoe doesn't usually eat non food stuff, if it had been Austin I wouldn't have been so surprised. That and boy can one dog produce a lot of barf.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Re: After care of blockage surgery

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:18 pm

I just went to visit him and take him some food. They said he could go home tonight if he would eat something. Hopefully he will eat his food, he wouldn't eat it when I was there but he seemed to be doing fine. She said he might have eaten the pit when it was fresh and it had been sitting there all this time. I can see him eating a fresh pit, he is a counter surfer and I might not have noticed or assumed it had gone through after a couple of days.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:05 am

Stuff like that can sit in the gut for quite awhile, may have been from this summer and just now moved enough to block everything else. Hopefully he will just cooperate and leave it alone, I've heard those comfy cones don't really stop most dogs, I have a couple normal cones plus one of those thick neck collar types but that was pretty ineffective too. Can you keep an eye on him during most of recovery?
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:24 am

Yes, I can. That will probably be the best thing to do. He came back home last night and is doing fine so far. I am so glad to have him back home.
The vet said too that it could have been in there since peach season. He could have eaten a whole peach off of the counter and I would have assumed the pit went through when I didn't see any problems after a couple of days and then forgotten all about it.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Romeo would eat about 1 peach pit a year. He was small enough that they'd just roll around until he'd puke them back up. Longest he ever had one rolling around was 4 months (that I knew he got into anyway). He'd always partially chew them so I never knew if he'd gotten any whole until he puked them up whole.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:04 pm

Just got back from getting his staples removed. He was actually good and left them alone, I worried for nothing. Didn't need any cones, donuts or anything. :thumbsup:
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Return to Health Issues