Blue Ridge Beef

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Blue Ridge Beef

Postby Jorsher » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:35 am

So I posted a thread on my dog having allergies, and it was suggested I move to a raw diet. It's something I've considered in the past, and considered more seriously lately. One of the food suppliers recommended was Blue Ridge Beef. As with anything I purchase, I wanted to do some digging...

I came across this thread:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/to ... idge-beef/

This product is sketchy. The company is connected by family to a Lea-Way Company which is a collection facility for dead, diseased, and dying animals. Coincidence? Perhaps, but not likely.
The price is too cheap to be the quality they claim. The product also includes charcoal, which is used to absorb noxious smell and taste components. Furthermore, if you write BRB, their representatives respond with lies and anger to questions that could be answered reasonably and politely. The lies included a bogus USDA license number
No way, no how, will I feed this product.

Not only is the address the same, but the contact person is also the same: Steven Lea.
Check out the May 2006 planning board minutes from Iredell County if you want to know what Lea-Way does. The link between those 2 businesses is disturbing, especially for those of us who feed raw.

OK... Well, that's certainly not the quality food I want to feed my pet. Let's dig a little further and find those board minutes, shall we?

http://www.co.iredell.nc.us/Departments ... inutes.pdf (go to page 6)

Lea-Way Company picks up deceased cattle from area farms
and provides a means for sanitary disposal; the existing plant processes useable materials into pet food products but it
must ship out the unusable parts to outside renderers.

So now we know that Lea-Way Company does collect meat that's unfit for human consumption and does use it for pet food. Can we connect that company to Blue Ridge Beef?

http://www.blueridgebeef.com/contact-us.html

Here you see that there is a BRB branch in Statesville, NC -- the same location as Lea-Way Farms. The point of contact for this branch is "Steve."

http://www.manta.com/c/mmngghv/lea-way-farms-inc

Here you see that the point of contact for Lea Way Farms is named "Steven Lea." Could be a coincidence... Can the "Steve" from BRB be matched with the Steven Lea of Lea-Way Farms?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steven-lea- ... 25/ab6/548
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mar ... opics/2490 (Steven Lea the owner of Blue Ridge Beef)
http://www.cfasouthern.org/market-place.html (Dean Lea working for Blue Ridge Beef in Georgia)

So, what do we have?

Lea-Way Farms
Owned by Steven Lea
Processes meat that's unfit for human consumption for pet food
Located in Statesville, NC

Blue Ridge Beef
Owned by Steven Lea
Sells pet food at very competitive prices
Located in Statesville, NC

Blue Ridge Beef in Georgia
Owned by Dean Lea

Can we match the Blue Ridge Beef in Bunnell, FL to a Lea as well? Best I could find was:
http://www.lookupanyone.com/namelisting ... AGP11NNAEF

Bottom line: It appears that Blue Ridge Beef sells meat disposed by Lea-Way Farms. I will look for other sources :)
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Blue Ridge Beef

Postby turtle » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:14 am

Interesting info….

I know many kibble manufacturers will use deceased animals from farms and even road kill. Some poor quality kibbles will even use euthanized animals from shelters in their foods. Kibble is cooked so people don’t always realize what ingredients go into it.

There are many other raw food sources and you can also feed raw by using grocery store meats or by finding local sources. Local sources can often be your best bet for this type of diet. If you can get in touch with local farmers and buy scrap meats, that is great. Maybe find a raw feeding group in your area, they will help. I fed grocery store meats for over 10 years until my old dog ended up with a food intolerance to chicken and beef.

I am only feeding the Blue Ridge Beef Venison and Quail. Those work for my dog and I am glad there is a raw that she can eat. I had emailed the company with questions and they answered quickly and were not rude. So my experience has been good with the product. I am not using their food as a complete diet, I also feed cooked foods and add vitamins.

There are a lot of good raw pet food makers out there. Nature’s Variety makes a very good raw and I would have tried that but most of their formulas are chicken which I can’t feed her. Primal is another, Honest Kitchen, Hare Today, Your Pet Carnivore, and many more.

Or you can try feeding grocery store chicken. I fed chicken thighs raw with bone in and they were about $1.00 a pound or less. My dog did well on them for a long time and feeding her raw helped with her skin and itchy ears.

Take your time and read more about raw and check all the sources available to you. That’s the best way to do anything.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Jorsher » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:38 pm

If it works for you and others, I say stick to it :) Not trying to change anyone's mind about the company.

I was strongly considering them until I saw that the same family owns a diseased/deceased animal disposal company that touts it uses it for pet food. They do say they completely dispose of some that they see as unfit, so may the meat that would pose a danger to animals is not sold as food. My only concern is that if it's not fit for humans, I can't trust it's fit for animals either. The fact that they keep secret about the source of the meat is what concerns me most. They may do it simply so people like myself don't stray away from perfectly fine meat, or they may be hiding it because it's something worth hiding. I don't know.

I've not heard of anyone with problems out of their food, so I may be wrong about any danger.

Anyway, I started both our dogs on raw chicken leg quarters last night. I added some D-Zyme which I think you may have recommended. Just 1/8th tsp for now and I'll move it to the 1/4tsp after the first week or two. I found leg quarters at Walmart, 10lbs for $6.90 ($0.69/lb). Seems extremely cheap, but it's fit for humans, right? I'm going to check at Sam's this week, and continue looking for butchers. I will be adding salmon oil once it arrives. I will also start adding some organ's once I find a good source. Worst case I'll throw in a little beef liver.

They both had a tough time figuring out what to do with the chicken. They licked it for 10-15 minutes before they finally decided to chew on it. Molly was swallowing as she was chewing, choked a couple times, spit out this loooong string of chewed up thigh. I assume this is normal? After a few attempts she crunched and crunched and swallowed the thing.

Neither of them seemed to have any GI issues. I figure I'll give them both 4 weeks on chicken before trying another meat. I'm hoping this will clear up her ear/feet/allergy issues.
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Amie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:23 pm

I do the Walmart leg quarters frequently for my guys. They're fairly consistent quality - not super pristine, but not bad either.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Jorsher » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:25 pm

I don't think Molly quite understands how to eat it. She chews as she's swallowing but doesn't break it into pieces? Not sure if that's normal, but she ends up choking or puking up a foot long piece of chewed up raw chicken.

Last couple nights I've been putting it in the food processor with some salmon oil and the D-Zyme stuff to turn it into a ... beautiful chicken mush. They absolutely love it.
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues