Fish Oil

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Fish Oil

Postby Graham » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:46 am

I'm wondering if anyone can refer me to a fish oil that is good. There seems to be so much out there. I tried a different fish oil and her terrible dry skin came back. The fish oil we used initially was from the vet's office and was pretty expensive, but worked great! Is there a fish oil that is reasonably priced that I can purchase online or in-store that works great? What would you recommend? Thanks! :) :run:
Graham
Newborn Bully

Re: Fish Oil

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:12 pm

I've had good luck with Grizzly, either salmon or pollock. I used to use the salmon but I noticed the pollock was less expensive so I switched to that. I get it from Amazon.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:07 pm

Make sure to store it in the fridge to decrease the oxidation, too.
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby turtle » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:46 pm

I like to give wild Alaska salmon oil over fish oil and it really has helped my old dog's skin.

I buy it from this trapping place for $27.95 a gallon and their salmon oil is very high quality --

http://dakotalinesnares.com/store/index ... ath=30_110

Their shipping cost is a flat $10, and I had been buying 2 of the 32 oz size but found it was only a few dollars more to buy a gallon with the shipping cost being the same. The gallon came in as 8 small bottles so it is easy to store and stays fresher that way. I store it in the fridge when opened.

Here is a good article about the Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids --

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspo ... -dogs.html

If you scroll about halfway down the page, they talk about "fish oils" and why some of them are not as high quality, such as fish oil from farm raised fish...

I also give my dog coconut oil for her skin too, with that and the salmon oil, her skin is much better than it was.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Graham » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:12 pm

The Vet had given me "Free Form Snip Tips" and it cost $37 for 60 capsules. I had to give her 2 capsules daily. So, it was a month's supply. Which I feel is pretty costly. At that rate I feel like I should just get a much better brand of food that already has Omega 3 fatty acids?

However, I do have to say that there was a SIGNIFICANT difference in her coat. Her dry skin flakes were GONE. It really did work. Her coat shined! When I went to Petco I asked a customer service representative if there were any difference between the fish oil that a vet gives you and what a store provides. They told me no. So, I bought her fish oil from there and it was terrible. It didn't do a dang thing. Her skin was soooo flaky!

I'm thinking I can find this brand cheaper online (the Snip Tips). or Try out one of the above suggested fish oils :aha: :nana: :run:
Graham
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Fish oil degrades quickly, so purchasing kibble with it isn't the best option. Buy this: http://www.grizzlypetproducts.com/dosages/dosages.html and store it in the fridge.
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues