Degenerative Myelopathy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Degenerative Myelopathy

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:23 am

Can you guys share some information with me on this? We have a friend whose vet expects it in their elder boxer.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Re: Degenerative Myelopathy

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:14 am

Usually it's more middle aged dogs that get this. It's a neurological disease that progressively moves up the spine making it difficult for the dog to walk. It has pretty close to the same effect that having arthritis in the spine does, like my boxer had.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:37 pm

From the little bit of research that I did I told them that he could become incontinent and they might need to get a sling to help him walk/go to the bathroom. If he's still mobile they should try to slowly increase his exercise (walking, swimming, them moving/rotating his legs for him) so that he can maybe build some muscle mass on the back end. Recommended hydrotherapy, supplements and turmeric. (but of course to talk to the vet first before doing that)...I'm not sure how old Bowden is, but he's got to be up there...they had him when I first moved to Florida and that was back in 2007. He's a bigger style of Boxer (fat looking head).
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Some people get their dogs carts so that they can still get around. Have they had x-rays on his spine to make sure it's not arthritis causing the symptoms? Boxers are known for that as well as DM. Are they on a boxer forum, they usually have people who have been through it.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Return to Health Issues