Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby tiva » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:06 am

So sorry to hear that! I hope the oncologist had some hopeful options for you. For what it's worth (every dog is different), Tiva had her second MCT come back grade 2, dirty margins. She was 15, so we opted not to do radiation or chemo. Now she's 18, still chugging along. Her mitotic index was extremely low, and that's what the vet said mattered nearly as much as grade or margins.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby picara » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks, Tiva. Horace's mitotic index was extremely low, too, 0-1 per 10 power fields. The oncologist recommended further pathology to see if the tumor cells exhibited a genetic mutation that would cause the cancer to behave aggressively despite the 'good' indicators, so we did c-kit testing. No evidence of mutant cancer cells! Yay! :nana: Horace is only 6 1/2, so we're taking his ear off to try for a complete excision of the cancer. So then he'll be like new, but with one half a pitbull head and one half a seal head.
picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:58 pm

:) :) :) Horace's second surgery went perfectly and his biopsy came i clean as a whistle. The oncological surgeon changed her game plan once she saw what was going on inside Horace, so instead of going up and taking his ear off, she went down and took just a bite from his ear, instead cut a lot of skin away from his face and jaw, but stitched him up beautifully. I looked at her bio. In her headshot she's cradling her own pitbull, she's a founding fellow of Surgical Oncology in the American College of Veterinary Surgery, AND has a special clinical interest in head and neck rumors! And 10 minutes up the road. Of all veterinarians in the world there couldn't have been a more perfect match for Horace who is now cancer free!

What I would have done differently: had the regular vet do a cytology and go straight to an oncological surgeon from there because his tumor was in a tough spot and the regular vet knew she couldn't' get a clean margin.
picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby Mom to 5 dogs » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:46 am

My boy Rico just had a subcutaneous mast cell tumor removed last Thurs. My vet said it was under the muscle tissue, and all encapsulated. She has a consult with an oncologist to get more info.
I don't know yet what grade it is. I didn't realize when she called to tell me what the mass was, that there were different levels...

Right now, I'm a little freaked out. Rico is a rescue that I adopted a year ago, and he is only 2.

The tumor was about the size of a quarter.

I have been reading about diet-he is already on a grain free kibble/raw diet-I will be switching him to 100% raw.
He already gets either coconut oil, olive oil or fish oils.
He is very active, great appetite...my vet also asked that I give him 75 mg of Benadryl 2x a day.

Has anyone else had a dog with a subcutaneous mast cell?

Thanks
Mom to 5 dogs
Newborn Bully

Postby Amie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:32 am

Mom to 5 dogs wrote:my vet also asked that I give him 75 mg of Benadryl 2x a day.

I'm curious what the reason was for the benedryl?
Amie
Regulator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:01 am

Amie wrote:
Mom to 5 dogs wrote:my vet also asked that I give him 75 mg of Benadryl 2x a day.

I'm curious what the reason was for the benedryl?

Mast cells release histamine, which is how they cause illness outside being invasive. The Benadryl reduces the effects of the histamine release.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues