Concerned pit mommy

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Christalina
Newborn Bully

Concerned pit mommy

Postby Christalina » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:08 am

Hi,
I have two pitties, one male, one female. The male is altered but the female has some breathing problems and I've opted not to have her spayed, because I'd honestly rather not have her go under anesthesia unless it is an emergency situation. She is 4 and my malease is 10. I realize this is introduction but I just had quite a scare.

These two never fight. Every so often she will snark at him and be a little bitchy, for lack of a better word, but about 30 minutes ago they got into a spat. I had to physically separate them. This never happens but I believe it was sparked over a piece of food stuck understeer crate that they both wanted. I immediately put them in their crates once the fight was over, no blood was drawn, and neither dog harmed.

Now my girl is out on the bed with me, my boy is in his crate, and both of them are perfectly calm. Should I assume this is over and go about my normal routine of them being in my bed with me, or should I keep them apart? I'm worried but I want to handle this right. Any advice? I did eliminate the food stuck under the crate.

Christalina
Newborn Bully

Re: Concerned pit mommy

Postby Christalina » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:10 am

Wow excuse all the typos

Chilly

Postby Chilly » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:34 am

Hi Christalina,

what a difficult situation!

Who started the fight?

I think the food was the tricker to the fight, so no food together, just separate the dogs for now when you give them some food.

Today I should keep them separate so you can come to your self, and then tomorrow back to business as usual, if it gets in to a fight again you have a big problem.

Keep in mind that your mental state influence the dogs!

Good luck for now and keep us informed please.

:modwelcomeonly2:

Christalina
Newborn Bully

Postby Christalina » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:35 pm

I let the girl out of her crate, she got comfy under the covers, then about 20 minutes later I let him out of the crate. He laid right down and went to sleep. We all slept together. Is that a good sign thar today I can pretend yesterday didn't happen and go back to business as usual?

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:13 pm

I am sorry for your experience.

read link below in full-

http://www.badrap.org/multi-dog-homes-0

after the first fight you need to very "on guard" - supervision big time.
seperate when not home/ not around etc. no toys, bones, food together.

Christalina
Newborn Bully

Postby Christalina » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:16 pm

I've read that making a huge deal out of it, and keeping them separate for too long can actually make it worse. It seems to me the fact they didn't fight over night means they don't hate each other enough to go after each other again today, but I'm obviously worried. It wasn't horribly hard to separate them during the spat but of course I fear next time, if there is a next time, it could be worse.

They have been together for 4 years, and again, no blood shed, no " locking on," nothing like that. A horrendous amount of noise from them both. Even after I got them a part the female kept trying to go in for more. I had my son take her out of the room. Does this sound like something I need to be worried about? Do dogs get into tiffs like we do? Can I assume that since no blood was drawn that they were just dog arguing?

I thought the male female dynamic would hinder them from fighting. I'm so full of questions. While I don't want to have Mary spayed because of the anesthesia, could her hormones be doing this? I really need some expert advice. Everything I've read so far tells me this was an isolated spat but I'm a bit gun shy now.

I mean they did sleep together as usual after the fight so it's not like either of them are exhibiting some crazy blood lust for each other. Also, is there a way to correct a spat before it happens? I've had two males fight in the past and it was much worse. I just never expected this between a male/ female combo.

Christalina
Newborn Bully

Postby Christalina » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:28 pm

Nickdawg wrote:I am sorry for your experience.

read link below in full-

http://www.badrap.org/multi-dog-homes-0

after the first fight you need to very "on guard" - supervision big time.
seperate when not home/ not around etc. no toys, bones, food together.

I do all of those things like separate in crates when I'm not home. They are always loose with each other when I'm home and this is the first time. I fear I caused it because they were both digging under the crate, and in my infinite wisdom, I decided throwing a shoe at the door, ya know a loud noise would stop them. That is what startled them and turned it into a fight. Obviously, I'll never do that again! I guess what I want to know is, since they did calm down and sleep in my bed together, is it safe for me to assume they can be loose together this morning? I crated my male, walked my female, then crated her and walked him. Now she is laying on my bed and he's crated. Should I just let him out with her like I normally would, and like I did last night?

Christalina
Newborn Bully

Postby Christalina » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Oh and I do feed them separately. Toys are only given in the crates. I really think throwing the shoe at the door was not my greatest moment. Hard lesson learned. I didn't realize the food was under the crate ,and zi just assumed they were digging at the carpet. I thought loud swift nouse. No beuno! That's what sparked the fight.

Chilly

Postby Chilly » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi again,

first keep cool and breath :thumbsup: .

From what you write I can say your doing things fine, the problem you have doesn't have a plain solution.

The first thing is be on your guard for now and go back to normal, two things come in mind to me, first is your female dog almost rutting/estrous?

My last APBT girl Demi had that behavior and was more dominant when she was in her period.

The second thing it can be, your male dog is getting old and she see's that and want to get past him on the dominant ladder.

You chose fighting dogs and sometimes 2 fighting dogs can give fighting problems that's the time you got to get creative or look for some one like Cesar Milan in your neighborhood.

To see fights coming is very difficult with Pitbulls. 8)

Christalina
Newborn Bully

Postby Christalina » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Chilly wrote:Hi again,

first keep cool and breath :thumbsup: .

From what you write I can say your doing things fine, the problem you have doesn't have a plain solution.

The first thing is be on your guard for now and go back to normal, two things come in mind to me, first is your female dog almost rutting/estrous?

My last APBT girl Demi had that behavior and was more dominant when she was in her period.

The second thing it can be, your male dog is getting old and she see's that and want to get past him on the dominant ladder.

You chose fighting dogs and sometimes 2 fighting dogs can give fighting problems that's the time you got to get creative or look for some one like Cesar Milan in your neighborhood.

To see fights coming is very difficult with Pitbulls. 8)

I have also heard if they don't break skin and make a lot if noise, that's not necessarily a " real" fight. Is that information correct? I have had them out together but only with the command of " lay down" on separate parts of the bed. Usually the routine is I just open both crates, they come out and play a bit then find a spot to get comfortable in. I haven't done that bit of just opening their crates and letting them out like that. I guess what I'm saying is I've had them out together last night 8ght, and today bUT I haven't exactly allowed the playful interactions. Am I making a mistake? Should I just let them do what they normally do?

Christalina
Newborn Bully

Postby Christalina » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:21 pm

I guess what I'm asking is , is there a certain amount of time that needs to pass before they forget the fight happened?

Chilly

Postby Chilly » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:26 pm

I just read the hole topic again and I mist some things you asked. :)

I don't think that spaying your dog does the trick, so I wouldn't do that too her.

Do you have some history on your female dog, because maybe she's bred out of game lines and that can give big problems, I know out of experience with Demi, Garner's China Man was in her history, I had to separate her from Chilly my other dog for 5 years until she last year died on cancer, I still miss her deeply.

It began when she got 2 years of age, she attacked Chilly for the first time, Chilly got her under en it stopped, it took a month or so and then it happend again I had to interfere and it was over, then it took 3 weeks Chilly saw it coming before me an attacked Demi I had to fight the two dogs and won so both in there crate but i started to fear the situation and that is not good, the next time came fast and me and my wife had to fight our ...... of, Chilly ended with a hole in his back and tried to kill back Demi, from that moment I never let them back together again, it took 5 years and much discipline but we managed it.

I never blamed Demi because fighting was in her blood only she couldn't handle it, I also chose for the male and female couple like always but this time it didn't worked, the first time in 25 years that this happened with us.

Chilly shows now as we speak that the fighting was Demi because with my new big and wild puppy Abby he is just pure and nice dog wise like it should be, he nicely correct her and I let him, I'm very proud of him because he recognize the breed but he give's her, her own change.

At first I didn't want to wright this so you don't worry to much, but I'm fresh out of this life and people mostly want a game APBT but they don't think about when the dog become to game, me too and now I know.

The puppy I now have is not from any fighting lines at all and that fits me fine.

Lets hope it's with your problem not the same as with us, but there are situations where Cesar Milan didn't managed it, they are fighting dogs.

So good luck again and I'm very curios in a picture of your female dog, in my opinion its not so quick the old male dog in an household situation. 8)

Chilly

Postby Chilly » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Christalina wrote:I guess what I'm asking is , is there a certain amount of time that needs to pass before they forget the fight happened?

I experienced they remember still after 5 years, because the dog that is the problem don't want to forget, they are Pitbulls. 8)

Christalina
Newborn Bully

Postby Christalina » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:31 pm

No, Mary is like a dwarf pit. She's very short and stocky and she's never exhibited aggressive behavior toward another dog or person. I wish I could post a pic of her but I haven't figured out how.

Chilly

Postby Chilly » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:39 pm

Maybe she lost it one time, it can happen but still be on your guard there nothing more you can do at the moment and make her tired, time will tell. 8)

Return to “Introductions”