Introduction: New to forum

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Jl_977
Newborn Bully

Introduction: New to forum

Postby Jl_977 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:59 pm

Hello,
I am 39 and live in Atlanta, GA. Not only am I new to this forum, I am new to Pitt bulls, APBT's, bully breeds and really all breeds associated. I feel kind of lost.

I adopted an Italian greyhound/Jack russel mix 13 years ago and he has been our only family pet. He's submissive, obedient, intelligent and from what I remember was really easy to train.

Recently, unknownst to me, my daughter purchased (which I am personally against, for me) an "APBT". Or so she was told. Originally she said she pretty much saved this little pup from a Wal-Mart parking lot ( kids) and was prepared to take all responsibility for her. Well that was short lived so here I am, a new mommy to a precious pit bull puppy that has stole my heart.

My new baby, Emmy is 15 wks now, aprox 18 lbs, and we got her at 8 wks 6lbs. She is merle and I have read how some people feel about merle pits and I've seen a lot of debates. Well she is healthy. Not an offspring of merle to merle breeding. I know this bc we have the parents pictures. Mom was blue and dad was fawn. She also doesn't have any physical traits that would indicate otherways. Vet says she's a healthy pit and has no doubt that is her bloodline and is full blooded. I am mostly interested in in bloodline and type of specific breed bc she is a handful and it may help with training her.

My pup is loving, rambunctious, playful, mischievous (!!!), smart, and from what I can tell very dominant, or often tries to be. I've learned in this short time that for her positive reinforcement training works better than harsher discipline. She gets time outs in her crate if need be but other than that seems to br minding so much better by completing her good behavior with "good girl" and treats. When I ask he to get down, I will repeat down until she gets down then I praise her. This actually worked, I only have to her once or twice now lol.

My may concerns and what I hope to figure out is controlong outside behavior. Running from me vs coming to me. House training, she doesn't get it. Or doesn't care. Tearing through my house making it look as like I've had 3 or 4 toddlers here left unattended for hours. Really it's just Emmy and she is quick, like a little tornado.

So far this is where I am.
-Positive reinforment , seems to be workong well
-she is crate trained!!!
-excercise aprox 20-30 min 1st thing am plus she usually gets a few more opportunities to run outside throughout the day, and gets to play often with my elder dog.
-we are seeing improvemebt in getting her better with showing dominance to other dogs. She tries to stand over my elder dog and she often goes to visit my oldest daughter's border collie and american bulldog and tried it with them too. Thank goodness she only does it with these 3 and not strange dogs at the dog park or my neighbors pup (yet)
- good diet and eating schedule
-tons of toys through out our home to prevent chewing on shoes or whatever else she gets hold of.
-still wirking on waling on a leash but is much much better

Well, I hope that was too much!! I am really looking forward to becoming more informed on dealing with training and behavior. Again, she has my heart and I like to think she does no wrong , but thst id not do. She is a curious, into everything little pup :)

Bullseye

Re: Introduction: New to forum

Postby Bullseye » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:24 am

:modwelcomeonly2:

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Welcome to the forum!
http://badrap.org/training-resources - great place for info as you embark on this adventure :run:

Jl_977
Newborn Bully

Postby Jl_977 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:02 am

Nickdawg wrote:Welcome to the forum!
http://badrap.org/training-resources - great place for info as you embark on this adventure :run:

Thank you! I'm sure I need all the luck I can get lol
Actually I have the time and patience. Glad she ended up with me!

haranka
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby haranka » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 am

:welcome:

Return to “Introductions”