Soft Poop?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Soft Poop?

Postby Bully » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:32 pm

I'm not having fun picking up soft poop from the streets when Bully is done with his business. They tend to stick on the ground and leave alittle mess which I need to clean up with a paper towel. Not everything is remove when I try to wipe it clean. I don't want people to complain that there is a poop stain in front of there house. What could I do? I know changing his diet will help on this matter. I feed him Wellness Dry Dog Food and raw (beef) ground meat. Will it harden if I feed him more meat and less dog food?
Bully

Postby mydogroxy » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:50 pm

it's hard to say what the problem is with so little information. you might infact be feeding too much. an excess of food can cause soft poops.
mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby damienApbt » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:54 pm

hey as long as you try your best. what more can they ask. just pick up what you can, give some concerned and dissappointed looks (practice in the mirror) just so any possible on lookers can see the effort in your eyes lol

my boy goes through the hard cleanup BMs as well. just clean up as best you can. no need to double back with a wet vac or anything.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby kazuo » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:37 am

Was either the Wellness or raw meat recently introduced into the diet ? For some it can take weeks for their system to adjust. Also, what is the % fat of the meat. I think ideally you want lean meat. One with a high % fat could contribute to the soft poo.
kazuo
Site Admin

Postby phez718 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:39 pm

Casey hasn't went to te bathroom on our walks yet. I take him in the backyard before every walk and tell him to go to the bathroom, he goes and we're on our way.
phez718

Postby chewalotopus » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:17 am

all three of my dogs get those crappy (ha!) soft poops very often - actually, two of them have it nearly constantly. I think I'm feeding them too much.

Anyone want to help? I feed them canidae:

Aiko, 1 year, 35# gets 2.25 cups of food daily
Diesel, ~8.5 months, 42# gets 3 cups daily
Joon, 5.25 months, 27# gets 2.25 cups daily

they don't get terribly a lot of excersise - 3 very short walks and a 45-minute romp in the yard daily I'd say.

Thanks! (so sorry - not trying to threadjack here!!!!)
chewalotopus

Postby kazuo » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:13 am

Just curious, when you say 'cup' do you mean standard 8 ounces or 4 ounces ? It seems like most of the higher end dog foods call 1 cup 4 ounces. I imagine due to the more densely packed nutrients minus the fillers.
kazuo
Site Admin

Postby chewalotopus » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:55 pm

I mean a standard cup. Boy, I REALLY must be over-feeding them! Ugh...
chewalotopus

Postby Jeff » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:10 pm

Hey chewalotapus,
Have you always fed Canidae? I have a couple anti-Canidae friends. I have fed it in the past w/ no problems. My friend who breeds Akitas tried feeding it for 8 months and most of her dogs did not do very well on it. Obviously different breeds of dogs have different needs nutrition-wise. Perhaps you could try switching to another food for a while and see if you have better results?
Jeff

Postby chewalotopus » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:02 am

No, they haven't always eaten canidae - before I came to this board, Aiko was on BARF, and Joon was on Science Diet puppy. Then we switched them to Canidae, then we tried Solid Gold's Hundenflocken (sp?), then went back to canidae because the Solid Gold gave them horrible gas. We didn't get Diesel until we went back to the Caniae, but when we picked him up we had to switch him over from Nutro adult food (which gave him the runs). I've been thinking about switching them to Wellness super 5 or maybe Innova, but I haven't yet.

I've had great results with the Canidae - minus the soft poo.
chewalotopus

Postby kazuo » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:05 am

chewalotopus wrote:I mean a standard cup. Boy, I REALLY must be over-feeding them! Ugh...

My mistake. Ariel weighed it on a scale, and an 8 oz scoop only comes out to weigh in at 4 oz.
kazuo
Site Admin

Postby mnp13 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:06 am

kazuo wrote:
chewalotopus wrote:I mean a standard cup. Boy, I REALLY must be over-feeding them! Ugh...

My mistake. Ariel weighed it on a scale, and an 8 oz scoop only comes out to weigh in at 4 oz.

Hold up - you are switching volume ounces with weight ounces. They are not interchangeable. 'Cups' are a volume measurement, you can not weigh them and use that weight for reference. A cup of feathers and a cup of lead are the same voulme but not the same weight.

Dog food portions are measured in volume measurements, I have never seen them in weight measurements.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby kazuo » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:25 pm

mnp13 wrote:Hold up - you are switching volume ounces with weight ounces. They are not interchangeable. 'Cups' are a volume measurement, you can not weigh them and use that weight for reference. A cup of feathers and a cup of lead are the same voulme but not the same weight.

Dog food portions are measured in volume measurements, I have never seen them in weight measurements.

Michelle

Ha ha ! That's what I originally thought. Hmmmm so I'm a little confused then. On the bag it says 1 cup = 4 oz. Are they just giving you an FYI of what 1 cup / 8oz of dog food volume will weigh ? For the larger bags they include a scoop which is standard 8 oz (volume). Let's say the daily recommended serving is 2 cups. Does that mean 2 8oz cups or 2 4 oz cups (volume) ?
kazuo
Site Admin

Postby Demo Dick » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:24 pm

Different dog breeds do not have different nutritional needs. Some high end dog food manufacturers are selling this idea with breed specific foods and personally, I think it's a scam. The idea that somehow a Lab needs different food that a Pit Bull is laughable. They are the same species after all.

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

Postby Jeff » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:53 pm

Demo Dick wrote:Different dog breeds do not have different nutritional needs. Some high end dog food manufacturers are selling this idea with breed specific foods and personally, I think it's a scam. The idea that somehow a Lab needs different food that a Pit Bull is laughable. They are the same species after all.

Demo Dick

Sorry, but you are wrong. I am not talking about buying different types of kibble based on what breed the manufacturer says its for. I agree that "large breed" kibbles and the such are a joke. Akitas in general do not do very well on a high-grain diet (take Solid Gold for example.) Hell, even dogs within the same breed have different nutritional needs. I will continue this post later. I have the old lady cracking the whip on me now. :whip: Her friend is coming into town to stay with us and our place is a mess.
Jeff

Next

Return to Health Issues