when is the earliest you can spay and nueter a dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Paul

when is the earliest you can spay and nueter a dog?

Postby Paul » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:13 am

Thankx

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:52 am

I've heard they do pediatric speuters as early as 6 weeks. Don't quote me on that, though. I'm no vet. :)

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:49 am

7 weeks is usually the earliest . most rescues get them neutered/spayed at that age as they bounce back that same day and dont realize what happened. we used to speuter the pups at 7 weeks when we first got them in.

mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:51 am

as soon as the anestetic won't kill them. 6-8 weeks depending on weight.

AllAmericanPUP

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:42 am

6-8 weeks as long as they are 2 lbs or more :))

the_flamingo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby the_flamingo » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:11 pm

Wow! I didn't know this! I was told that the dog had to be 6 months old! Thanks for the info!

iLUVmySH

Postby iLUVmySH » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:13 pm

just the info i needed. thanks!

pinion

Postby pinion » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:12 am

Wow, that seems so young!

What age is usually the norm for getting your dog neutered or spayed?

Chacie

Postby Chacie » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:28 am

I asked about getting Maverick fixed when i was at his first app when he was 8 weeks and they said couldnt yet after feeling his man parts and relizing that his little men havent dropped yet, so im not sure if that had anything to do with it but in any event they wont do him yet :dunno:

Chacie

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:10 am

most vets dont do pediatric spays as they have different views on it.. i prefer it because the pups bounce back faster and there is nothing wrong w/ it.. some people say it stunts their growth or makes them leggier..
you might be able to find a vet that will do it but you will have to drive.. i think the liberty humane center in jersey city has vets that will do it but i dont know the age limt.

iLUVmySH

Postby iLUVmySH » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:49 pm

hmm.. i wonder what's the truth about the side effects... i would rather wait if there are side effects

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:54 pm

i have not seen any side effects from pediatric spaying/neutering.. most vets just dont want to do it as they are unsure of themselves.. rufus was done at 5 months because my vet wouldnt do it.. if i wanted to i could have gone to a vet 3 hours away and they would have done it at 2 months old. most shelters/rescues speuter as soon as the pups come in anyway..

good thing to know chea!

Insomnia

Postby Insomnia » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:33 pm

interesting opinions by professionals....my vet also said not 'til 5-6 month...

Return to “Health Issues”