skin problems

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

skin problems

Postby pitpal » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:55 am

Hi, my name is Deb. I adoted a pit from the shelter about two years ago.
One of the reasons I joined to see if anynoe else's dog has skin problems? Cody (my dog, is very itchy) I've taken him to the vet and found out he has food allergies. We now have him on a lamb and rice diet.
Which seems to work for that. His coat looks great but, his skin is flaky and itchy. We've given him shots and he is on a spay but, it hasn't helped much. The vet thinks he has an allergy to grass. I don't know?? Anyone have any ideas???? Thanks... Deb
pitpal

Postby sahara311 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:08 am

Is he eating out of a plastic bowl?? My 'Cane is severely allergic to plastic, i can always tell when he steals Mia's food...We thought he had food allergies, too, -but, nope, just plastic.... also, has he been checked for demedex???? Very common... it causes itching and hair loss.... also could b e flea allergy, a spot of Avantage can clear that up... so many variables, all similar symptoms...
sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tjbsandy » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:14 am

:welcome:

Look in the health section, do a search for food and food allergies! There is so much information on here about food that you won't want to ever hear another word again once you read it all. lol There are many members here dealing with food allergies, so stick around!
tjbsandy

Postby Julius » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:19 am

We have allergican Dogs too and we BARF them.
Do you now what this is???
Julius

Postby tjbsandy » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:21 am

Julius wrote:We have allergican Dogs too and we BARF them.
Do you now what this is???

:thumbsup: There is also a bunch of info on Raw diets as well as kibble!
tjbsandy

Postby Julius » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:27 am

yes, I´m happy that the term is the same like in german :))
Julius

skin problems

Postby pitpal » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:14 am

Thanks for the replies.. Cody does eat out of a plastic bowl. Never thought about that. The vet hasn't checked for demedex or anything else for that matter. He just says he has an allergy to grass. This whole thing seemed to have started when I watched a kitten for a friend. Poor kitty has covered in fleas took me months to get rid of them in my house.
Cody doesn't have fleas a least I haven't found any flea dirt or anything like that on him. I just want him to be more comfortable.
pitpal

Postby Boo439 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:21 am

Welcome to the board!! I hope you are able to find some relief for Cody's itching.
Boo439

skin problems

Postby pitpal » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:28 am

Thanks, He's a great dog, Total bed hog. I don't mind that. It's funny I never thought I could get so attached. We looked for a dog for a year. There were two things I said I didn't want,one was any brindle dog and the other was a pit... He's both... I just couldn't leave him in that shelter he was too sweet...What can I say must be love
pitpal

Postby X-girl » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:49 am

Welcome!

You've gotten some good advice here, I hope his allergies get better very soon.

If you can, please wait to be granted access to the entire board for future questions you may have. The Intro section is really just for new members to be welcomed to the board. Access should be granted shortly.
Thanks!
X-girl
Regulator

Postby cleokarrot » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:50 am

Welcome!!
cleokarrot

Postby My Dog Benson » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:27 am

We had the same problem with our SBT Benson when he was young. Turned out that the problem was his crate. The vet swore up and down that it was a food allergy, tharoid problem, but nothing seemed to help. Maybe try an experiment removing items from his environment and see if it makes a difference.
My Dog Benson
Newborn Bully

Postby pitbullforever » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:58 am

welcome. great job rescueing your baby. :))
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby moochesmama » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:10 pm

:welcome:

There are folks here on the board who have done wonders with itchy dogs...there is lots of advice in the health section.
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby concreterose » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:07 pm

Welcome!
concreterose
Regulator

Return to Introductions