Skinny dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Skinny dog

Postby PittyLuvers » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:20 am

We have a 2 year old pit bull named champange colored dog named Rudy and a 3 year old red haired pit bull/chow/lab mix named Ginger. Ginger is getting skinny and Rudy is very muscular and "filled out" - not fat. They were just at the vet and their health is good except for Ginger's laaloss of weight. It's summer and she get's hysterical about squirrels ( jumping and running - Rudy ignores them. Then in the evening Rudy picks up steam after dinner (barf) and "makes Ginger sort of pushes Gingers in figures eights around the yard to exhaustion. I saw a barf "weight gain" meal plan on another forum. Any suggestion?
PittyLuvers
Adolescent Bully

Postby barbponys » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:09 pm

What is Ginger eating right now as far as dry food? What is the formula given for the B.A.R.F "weight gain"? Is she eating well or is she picking?
Has the vet suggested any blood tests to rule out organ dysfunction?

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Skinny Dog

Postby PittyLuvers » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:54 pm

Ginger just had a complete vet check and she is ok except she has lost weight and is skinny. She was skinny when we first got her. She hated dry kibble so we switched to the barf diet and she gained weight. A weight gain barf diet I saw recommended fatty hamburger and other ingredients - I'm going to find the recipe and go to the grocery store. I've been feeding her and Rudy mostly chicken wings plus veggies and I think this why she is losing weight. Ginger is out chasing squirrels and Rudy sticks around and is a begger so he is gaining weight.
PittyLuvers
Adolescent Bully

Re: Skinny Dog

Postby mnp13 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:57 pm

PittyLuvers wrote:Ginger just had a complete vet check and she is ok except she has lost weight and is skinny. She was skinny when we first got her. She hated dry kibble so we switched to the barf diet and she gained weight. A weight gain barf diet I saw recommended fatty hamburger and other ingredients - I'm going to find the recipe and go to the grocery store. I've been feeding her and Rudy mostly chicken wings plus veggies and I think this why she is losing weight. Ginger is out chasing squirrels and Rudy sticks around and is a begger so he is gaining weight.

You need weight gain in the form of muscle, not the form of fat. Chicken wings and some veggies are not balanced meals. She needs more quality calories and probably needs more nutrition over all.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:00 pm

Try using fish, upping the protein overall, and adding in pro-biotics to aid in digestion and/or yogurt. As long as she is in good health, worm free, etc. she just needs more food.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:14 pm

There's not enough protein in the chicken wings, they are mostlybone so are a good treat. Don't forget organ meat, it has important nutrients in it and should be fed a couple of times a week. I would be very careful with fatty hamburger. Beef tends to be a fattier meat as a whole and if you feed high fat ground it can cause problems on it's own. Too much fat can cause pancreatic problems, not something you want to set in motion. I feed veggies a few times a week and use a natural plant based vitamin mineral supplement to cover all the bases.

I don't stick to one protein source either. I feed beef, chicken, turkey, fish(no raw salmon) and they scored last night and got some venison.

Good luck.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby doggyluvr » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:29 am

Dont forget dogs should not have chiken bones because they splinter and can choke your dog. :naughty:
doggyluvr

Postby jmann4 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:21 am

Do you have a pictures? If you could show a few pictures of yoru profile (whole body), from the top, and the hips it would help. Well, it would help me at least. Before I call a dog skinny I have to see them. Most vets will say your dog is skinny when in reality it's not.
jmann4

Postby HugABull1 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:34 am

doggyluver - RAW chicken bones are relatively safe :) and make up a large part of a BARF diet. Any cooked bone can splinter - you want to be sure to only ever give your dog(s) raw bones.
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby barbponys » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:43 pm

My dogs have eaten RAW chicken bones for many years and not had any problems with splintering. Raw, raw, raw,raw.....raw. Never cooked. Oh....did I mention that they are raw??? :))

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues