1st time owner

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

1st time owner

Postby luaches » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:32 pm

Hello everyone. I am live in Florida and 4 days ago added a new addition, a 12 week old pitbull/shepherd female, to our family. It is a strange and funny addition because I have never taken the time to read about pitbuills and was only familair with what I read and heard from the media, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to bring her into our family because of the kids, ages 14, 13, 10, and 8, in the house.

So how did a dog-prejudice woman like myself end up with our new addition you ask...well I didn't realize that she was a pitbull. I met owners of her mom through my brother-in-law and seen her and fell in love. It was at this time that I discovered I was getting excited about bringing home a pitbull mix. I was told by the owners that her mother is a good dog and that they have never any problems with her around kids and well, before I knew it I was looking at the most adorablest puppy and telling her that she was coming home to meet her new family.

Now after reading several different sites and some of the topics in PBF, I realize that I initially made a mistake taking her without reading up on her breed first. I say a mistake not because I no longer want her, but because I realize how horrible it would have been if I was not willing to provide her with the attention that she requires and the time that will be needed to continue to socialize her, train her, and make sure that our family becomes responsible pb owners. She took to all of the kids immediately and the first night in her new home she slept in the bed with me and my husband. We woke up the next morning in a wet bed and I decided I had better do some research on house training and find out more about pitbulls. We have been taking her outside about every 2 hours for her to do her doo and were very happy to be woken up this morning at 4 am too a whimpering puppy wanting to go outside to use the bathroom, unfortunately she is not doing this everytime she needs to go yet, so we are still having to run her outside if we see her smelling around or in midsquat. Sandy is going to make a nice addition to our family and I am looking forward to learning more about how to take care of her, train her, and provide her with a happy life.
luaches

Postby melkissa » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:39 pm

Welcome!
melkissa

Postby luaches » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:06 pm

melkissa wrote:Welcome!

Thank you. I see you are located in Florida too. I live in Central Florida in the Orlando area.
luaches

Postby gone2dtheogs » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:12 pm

Welcome! Wheres the pictures? :)
gone2dtheogs

Postby moochesmama » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:10 pm

:welcome:
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Picture of my baby

Postby luaches » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:42 pm

I think I just fixed so that a picture of my lil cutie will be displayed next to my messages....so there she is! :)
luaches

Postby tjbsandy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:26 am

:welcome: :hi
tjbsandy

Postby mypitmika » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 am

Awww she's adorable! Welcome to the forum, I'm sure Sandy is as happy to be with you as you are to be with her. Sounds like you're off to the right start, education is key. Like you, I researched pitbulls after I got Mika, but dedication, responsible ownership and lots of love will make you a great pitbull parent!

By the way...14, 13, 10, & 8???...bless you woman! haha
mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby melkissa » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 am

luaches wrote:
melkissa wrote:Welcome!

Thank you. I see you are located in Florida too. I live in Central Florida in the Orlando area.

Neato, I'm in North Florida. Jacksonville :sad:
J/K Jax is not that bad...
Anyhow, there are quite a few Floridians here, especially in Central FL. Check out the Events sections and the thread called "Pit Bull Forum- FL Chapter 2, April 2" You might not be able to post there yet, but you can read up on our next meet and your more than welcome to come. Just PM one of us if you are unable to post.
See ya!
melkissa

Postby Kodas Dad » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:00 am

welcome, look forward to seeing some pics :peace:
Kodas Dad

Postby luaches » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks. I will look to see when the next event in my area is. That would be great because I don't know anyone else with a pitbull and all of the people, other than my sister-in-law, that I have told about our new addition as had some kind of comment awful comment to make. My boss and his friend named her baby eater and a girl at work who has a german shepherd made a remark about how vicious pitbulls are and when I asked if she has personally ever been around pitbulls her comment was no. Its funny because I do understand how media influences an individual's perception about pitbulls because I thought the same way, but it is also very hard to sit there and listen to someone make these comments and not have one actual fact to back them up.
luaches

Postby PitBullPride » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:49 am

Welcome! nice to see a new FL member! :))
PitBullPride

Postby Boo439 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:05 am

Welcome to the board!! I'm right around the corner from Orlando! :))
Boo439

Postby pblove » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:12 pm

Hi and she is a cute!
You better get some thick skin, the comments never end with our breed, sadly!
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby bullseye77 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:09 pm

:welcome:
bullseye77

Next

Return to Introductions