sneezing ?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

sneezing ?

Postby yuk237 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:46 pm

Hi,

My dog started sneezing alot 2 nights ago and still is. The vet said it is probably just an allergy of some sort, but I was wondering if there is anything I can to help the vet said if would probably just go away on its own. I haven't changed anything in my house so I don't know what is causing it. Can dogs have allergies to Pollen and stuff like that?

Thanks for any advise. :bowdown:
yuk237

Postby pocketpit » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:59 pm

Dogs can allergies to all kinds of thins. If he's been sneezing a lot maybe it's time to consider the possibility of a foreign body up his nose. One of our dogs sucked a piece of grass up his nose once. It was of course extremely irritating and he sneezed constantly until we had it removed.
Allergies often are accompanied by several symptoms. Licking, scratching, ear infections, runny eyes, etc.
pocketpit

Re: sneezing ?

Postby pandabot » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:36 am

yuk237 wrote:Hi,

My dog started sneezing alot 2 nights ago and still is. The vet said it is probably just an allergy of some sort, but I was wondering if there is anything I can to help the vet said if would probably just go away on its own. I haven't changed anything in my house so I don't know what is causing it. Can dogs have allergies to Pollen and stuff like that?

My boyfriend says "look for foxtails", ie: get a flashlight and look up the nose and see if there's anything in there. vet probably did already, but try it and you can rule it out at least :)
pandabot

Postby doggyluvr » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:23 am

Dogs can have Benydryl. Give him one and see if it helps.
doggyluvr

foxtails?

Postby bluesky1966 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:45 pm

Does your dog live in an area where foxtail weeds are? it causes violent sneezes then an infection if they are not removed right away.---just a possiblity. they can also migrate into the lungs and cause serious lung infections in rare cases.
bluesky1966

Postby yuk237 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:06 am

what do foxtails look like? I have never heard of them.
yuk237

sothwest beware

Postby bluesky1966 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:14 am

below is an artical on it but here is the link to the pictures of it: http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/dogs/foxtails.html

"A serious hazard for field dogs, or any dogs in the field, are the hard seed-bearing structures of some kinds of grasses, often called "foxtails". These structures have sharp points at one end, and microscopic barbs, "so that they easily move in the direction of the point, but not the other way. They "work in", but they don't "work out". They can become imbedded in the hair, especially the paws and ears, and in nostrils and even eyes. As they work their way in, they cause infection, and if not treated can sometimes be fatal. Southern California has a number of different grasses with this nasty feature, most of them originally from Mediterranean Europe, and most of them common.

The purpose of this web page is to help you identify some of the most common of these grasses in southern California. The same species are found in other parts of the Southwest, and similar species are found across North America, although sometimes with different common names. "
does that help?
bluesky1966

Re: sneezing ?

Postby bluesky1966 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:20 am

pandabot wrote:
yuk237 wrote:Hi,

My boyfriend says "look for foxtails", ie: get a flashlight and look up the nose and see if there's anything in there. vet probably did already, but try it and you can rule it out at least :)

if the vet looked for foxtails in the nose your dog would have to had undergone full anesthesia because dogs have a strong sneeze reflex and will not let anyone look fully into the nose with out being anesthatized enough to undergo surgery or even deeper :wow
bluesky1966

more info

Postby bluesky1966 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:33 am

here is someone's experience with a foxtail up their dog's nose: "So the vet put him under and couldnt' find the foxtail. he said that he either swallwed it, and it will come right out, or it went in his lungs. If it went in his lungs . . he'll develop a cough in a few days and i'll ahve to put him on antiobiotics for a year. I hope he swallowed it. Poor little guy was bleeding all over when i took him home. his poor wittle nose.
My puppy is in the hospital getting probed. waaaaaaaaaaaaaa. he got a foxtail up his nose and now they have to put him under and pull it out. His nose was all bloody. and I could hear him screaming at the top of his lungs all the way out of the vet."

here is a quote from a pet health insurance site :""If your dog gets a foxtail up his nose and requires a rhinoscopy complete with anesthesia, the cost can range anywhere from $150 to $300..."
bluesky1966

Postby yuk237 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:39 pm

I looked at the picture of foxtails and I don't think we have them around here. I live about 2hrs north of New York City. His sneezing has just about stopped so I guess It was just some sort of allergy to something. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

:))
yuk237

Return to Health Issues