Health Problems

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Health Problems

Postby DixiePit04 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:42 am

I heard that blue pits are more likely to have higher health problems than other colored pits.... Is this true? And if so, why?
DixiePit04

Postby damienApbt » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:11 am

if im not mistaken i believe back in the day they cross bred pitbulls to get this color then eventually bred it into pitbull lines so it eventually became an accepted color. then the blue pit phinom took over and is still growing. they are so heavily and widely bred with little consideration for the true haelth of the breed

with all that said it really weakened the breed, especially the blues. its similar to the german shepherd and other breeds that had a huge demand at some time. and take into consideration the amount of times each bitch is being bred. most females should only be bred at most three times, from what i know, and most of these "breeders" will mate the hell out of them to get the most amount of litters they can. that also can destroy the breed as well.

when it specializes in ONLY blues it becomes a dangerous breeder.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby DixiePit04 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:00 pm

Okay so let me get this straight...... There are some cold hearted people out there that breed just for coloration and in return they weaken one of the most powerful dog breeds out there just because the blue coloration is in high demand and they are money hungry?! I don't understand people and their intentions these days..... Some people just blow my mind and never cease to amaze me. There should be some sort of law passed where people can only breed their female dogs so many times!!!!
DixiePit04

Postby DixiePit04 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:01 pm

Okay so let me get this straight...... There are some cold hearted people out there that breed just for coloration and in return they weaken one of the most powerful dog breeds out there just because the blue coloration is in high demand and they are money hungry?! I don't understand people and their intentions these days..... Some people just blow my mind and never cease to amaze me. There should be some sort of law passed where people can only breed their female dogs so many times!!!!
DixiePit04

Postby damienApbt » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:03 pm

wish it were that easy.

a lot of back yard breeders do this its not just with the blues. pitbulls in general are in big demand some of it solely because of their bad reputation. but when you throw a rare color in the mix it only gets more out of hand.

hey as long as they can have a litter they will be mated. you cant make any laws on that. not only is the puppy milling a bad thing but also where the dogs are being placed.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby DixiePit04 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:20 pm

Okay so I realize that we can't make a law where you could only breed a female so many times but is there anything at all that can be done in regaurds to animal cruelty?!
DixiePit04

Postby damienApbt » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:57 pm

to be honest with you this subject is a bit out of my league. most of what im posting is what i've learned form the breeders on this board and other mor experience bully people on the board.

as far as cruelty i dont think its cruelty to animals to breed a dog. nor is over breeding as far as i know. its just the finished product that suffers. a lot of responsible breeders only have so many litters a year. obviously it would be hard to run a business that way so a lot of people will start milling out puppies. its definitely a tough subject with no real solution.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby JessaNGizmo » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:34 pm

Yes Damien is correct, People have over bred the blues more then anything these days. They are a breed that is well known to be mean, viscious child killers :roll: but yet everyone wants one to protect their family out back on a chain :roll: . 90% of the "breeders" I can find online are Back Yard Breeders, They dont health test or anything, Most dont even have papers. They breed their dogs because they are pretty, or mean looking, or a mean, or are nice....A million different reasons people want to breed is cause, They look nice and money. I cant stand it any more and so I have gotten in to rescue. You can get nice dogs out of Back Yard Breeders, I got Gizmo out of one. Baloo is a rescue, He is blue, He does have Demodex Mange, His mom and other little mates didnt make it, We dont know the dad or his breed, Highly doubt they had papers. But I still rescued him because I saw him and couldnt say no to him. Blues are "rare", NOT :naughty: People think they are rare but if they would go on Petfinder.org or do a search online for Blue Amercian PitBull Terrier Kennels they would find about 500+ kennels with 1,000s of "rare blues". Ill get off my soap box now but not let people suprise you any more, They are all ignorant and the more I talk to people the more I love my dogs and hate "humans".
JessaNGizmo

Postby damienApbt » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:45 pm

i agree jessa, but i still think blues are rare. not to us but to the general public. the reason you find so many breeders on line is because there is a high demand for them right now. that doesnt make them less rare. but it is true to say they're becoming less rare. unfortunately

edit: whats up with my member id being 2 legit 2 quit....i dont know how i feel about that. i kinda liked superior bully. lol i think the next level may be "nothing better to do bully"
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Blue Steel » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:30 pm

JessaNGizmo wrote:... go on Petfinder.org or do a search online for Blue Amercian PitBull Terrier Kennels they would find about 500+ kennels with 1,000s of "rare blues".

On your suggestion, I've done this twice now (well, really several times), and neither time did Petfinder.org come up with ANY hits for American Pit Bull Terriers, Blue American Pitbull Terriers, nor did it come up with any kennels within the state of Oklahoma or Arkansas. Even changed the search range to "National" and still came up with NO HITS. Changed the query to "Pit Bull" and could only come up with mixed breeds or various sorts (Lab/pit, hound/pit, cathoula leopard dog/pit, australian cattle dog/pit, etc., etc..) that were "labeled" to have pit in them. Many, to me, didn't appear to have any pit in them at all..... All were at animal control places or shelters.

Just thought I'd let'cha know .... :))
Blue Steel

Postby JessaNGizmo » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:22 pm

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=3&type=Dog

American Staffordshire Terrier 1287
Pit Bull Terrier 3837
Staffordshire Bull Terrier 444

http://www.pbrc.net/dogpages/index.html
There is and NEVER will be enough people for dogs, Unfortunetly I think the bully breed is the breed that needs the most help. ;)
JessaNGizmo

Postby damienApbt » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:40 pm

geeze check out the GSD over 6,ooo. that sucks too.
damienApbt
Regulator

Re: Health Problems

Postby bluesky1966 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:45 pm

DixiePit04 wrote:I heard that blue pits are more likely to have higher health problems than other colored pits.... Is this true? And if so, why?

In Dobermans, shelties and other breeds that are selected for the lighter coat color there are genetic defects associated with the lilac coloration. it is associated with systemic cancer and skin problems and immune system weakness---but I do not know if is true with the "blue" pit bulls because their accepted colorations range has always been so wide so coloration that is genetically linked to problems have a chance to be less "concentrated" in the population

i have a "bue-nose" whom i rescued from an owner who could not afford the parvo treatment. she also had demodext overpopulation at around 4mos we eventually had to dip her it was that bad. but she is very healthy now after 4 years ---no skin problems [except pododematitis in the winter]
bluesky1966

Postby Hooligan » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:53 pm

Blue Steel, are you in OK or AR?
I currently live in OK and will be moving to AR in July.
Maybe we could meet up sometime and have a play date.

Oh, I did find a blue brindle on Petfinder, though she is not listed as such, but it is very obvious...she may have been in TX though.

Edited to add that Mugleston Pit Bull Farm has blues, monster blues...but blues none the less. They are in Gore, OK. And Evans Pits has monster blues as well and are in Del City, OK (OKC metro). I have been there and the dogs are very friendly and well mannered.
Hooligan

Return to Health Issues