Another Dog Food Question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Another Dog Food Question

Postby Fish » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:23 pm

Will be getting our pup in about 4 months and was planning on feeding our pup Eukanuba till I read this board. I contacted an old friend that raises inported G. Sheppards because I know she sells Dog food and asked her what she sells, it was Canidae, so that is what I will be feeding. She told me that Canidae dosn't sell a puppy food and that the adult food is good enough for the pups also, is this right ?
Also I have another question about flee's, we don't have any pets at this time and I figure flee's will become a problem at some time, I was wondering if there is something I can put in our yard that will help with this problem? The Co-opp here says ( I will spell this wrong ) Malathion, anyone know if this will work or would I be wasting my time and money.
Fish

Postby jmann4 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:33 pm

I'm not sure about what to put in your yard for flees. But I can help you with the dog food question.

Most performance dog owners will feed their pups adult food as it has the same amount of nutrients puppy foods contain.

I fed my oldest Angel adult food when she was a puppy until I switched to a raw diet at 12 months old.
jmann4

Postby Laurier » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:38 pm

About the fleas.....

I've never heard of someone putting something in their yard for fleas, the best thing you can do is keep your pet on flea and tick prevention. Frontline Plus is the best, its expensive but it works wonderfully.
Laurier

Postby JessaNGizmo » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:56 pm

CANIDAE KICKS BUTT!!

About the Fleas. Go to your local homedepot or lowes and they sell something. I used it and it kills all bugs and ticks and fleas. Just ask them and they will tell you what to get! :))
JessaNGizmo

Postby concreterose » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:46 pm

Canidae is a good feed. It's a life stage formula...you adjust the amount accordingly through the life of your dog. That's why they don't make puppy food.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby elegy » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:46 pm

i feed canidae to my adult dog and i couldn't be happier with it.

as far as fleas, i'd just treat the dog with preventative. i use advantix. frontline is good too.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:47 pm

Garlic is good for fleas, mine get it everyday. I also use a boric acid based poweder in my carpets..........it does wonders. It's totally none toxic but it kills fleas, eggs and larvae, it dries them out and they die. It's not cheap but a big 2 pound tub will treat 2000 sqaure feet and lasts about a year.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Maximus » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:30 pm

I second (or third) the garlic suggestion. Chico gets two garlic & brewers yeast doggie tablets a day.

For the yard, it's been suggested that we use diatomaceous earth (not the pool filter kind, though, which has been treated). It's non-toxic (though the dust could irritate your lungs, so use a dust mask and keep your dog inside until it settles, or apply it wet so it isn't airborne) and kills crawling insects mechanically, which is a WHOLE LOT better than spraying poison on your lawn. It also means fleas can't develop an immunity to it, like some poisons. You can use it in the house, too. Read more here: http://www.commonsensecare.com/content/msds-de.doc
Maximus

Postby chalkline » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:51 pm

This local pet store by my house highly reccomends Canidae to all of their pit bull owners. They say it is very good for the working breeds and it helps develop strong muscles and is great for the skin and coat. I just switched to it about 3 weeks ago and Milenko just loves it.
chalkline

Return to Health Issues