Skin allergies....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Skin allergies....

Postby McGoose » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:57 am

....McGoose is about a year old. Ever since we've had her (about the last seven months), we've been fighting demodex off and on. During the past fall and winter, it got better, but now that it's spring and summer, she gets a consistent red rash on her underbelly when she goes outside for any length of time. Sometimes it gets bright red and looks absolutely awful. She scratches it, and has rubbed one of her lil' nipples raw (until I covered it.....I felt like John Ashcroft lol ). We are taking her to the vet monthly for ivokek (??) shots. We also have a specialized moisturizing shampoo. It's gotten a little better, but not much. We've got 1/2 an acre in the back, very grassy, with several different kinds of weeds (no smart remarks!!). It grows pretty swiftly.

I hate to limit her time outside, as she loves to go outside and chase frogs, run and wrestle with our six year old boy.

Her underbelly is white and her skin is spotted. I've heard that white bellied dogs are sometimes more sensitive to this sort of thing.

Anybody got any ideas??
McGoose
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby barbponys » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:14 am

Mannnn, this year is BADDDD. I have resorted to prednisone for our pug, he's loosing his mind his allergies are soooo awful. And high doses too unfortunately. I can't even begin to imagine how it feels to itch like he does. :crybaby:

If it's just her belly what about putting some kind of protection on there? Rub a film of vaseline in before she goes out and wash it off when she comes back in?? Dose her with benadryle before she goes out? Have her wear a t-shirt or something?? God, I wish there was an easy answer.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby CinderDee » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:40 am

Pat,

This is part of an email that was written by a woman who was helping me with Kato...
Check out the link for alternatives to Pred.

As for Pred, if Kato gets so uncomfortable that you think he needs a drug this strong there is a great alternative to Pred with none of the serious side effects. You can read about it here: http://www.careforpets.com/notice.htm This has to be ordered by your vet. If you have to go this route ask your vet to order the 20 mg. capsules of natural hydrocortisone.

Good luck!
Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby McGoose » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:42 pm

I was thinking while I was just now mowing the lawn (I try to get in at least ten to fiftenn minutes of thinking in per day).....we have started to get the lawn treated for weeds the last few months. Chemlawn. We had weeds so bad I had more of them than I had grass. I'm about ready to just rock in the entire lawn, but that'd be lots of rocks.

Could the weed killer have something to do with it?? Chemlawn said it wouldn't affect my pets, but they aren't really interested in the health of my dog.

FYI....that's a good idea re: the shirt. I'm going to try that. The vaseline idea sounds pretty gross. lol
McGoose
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Leslie H » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:58 pm

Chemlawn is probably bad. Demo is a real pain, and indicative of a depressed immune system. This may make your dog more vulnerable to other stuff as well. Most dogs have out grown their demo by 8-10 months. I would make sure your dog waseating something really good, like raw. You're vet isn't into the mitaban dip I hope. Ivomec is a good treatment. I hope this isn't a dog you're hoping to breed, because demo is very inheritable.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:16 pm

I would DEFINITELY let Chemlawn go, at least in the backyard, unless you let McGoose play in the front too...I would stop treating that also. As much as I HATE weeds, and love green grass, I won't even do any fertilizing in my backyard until I find a pet friendly product.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby phez718 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:19 pm

I won't even do any fertilizing in my backyard until I find a pet friendly product.

Manure! :thumbsup: lol
phez718

Postby barbponys » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:13 pm

Thanks Dee,
I printed the page and will be dropping it by my vets office on tuesday. Hopefully they will already use or be willing to contact this pharmacy.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby CinderDee » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:12 am

You're welcome, Pat! I hope it works out for you.

Dee
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby McGoose » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:24 am

My pup eats Wellness foods, and she gets vitamins every day. Plus a tad bit of extra virgin olive oil about twice a week. My wife says I take better care of McGoose than I do her (i'm the cook in the family), which is not true, but probably close. :tongue:

I'm going to call and cancel the Chemlawn today. The weeds are mostly under control and i'm sure I can find a good weed puller.

I really, really, really appreciate all the great feedback and will keep ya'lls updated.

You guys rock like this smiley: :headbang:
McGoose
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Return to Health Issues