False pregnancy?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

False pregnancy?

Postby K9Siren » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:06 am

Here is a question on behalf of my best friend Amanda's dog, Wednesday. Amanda hasn't spayed her girl yet but, she didn't ever know any better. Thanks to some Q&A sessions, Amanda has decided to get Wednesday spayed.

However, the vet is waiting on it because Wednesday is possibly pregnant but, it could be a false pregnancy. How do you tell between the two? Wednesday is getting a little bit of a tummy and, her nipples are growing. She's carrying this toy around constantly and starting to nest a little bit. She's already had one litter but, Amanda is wondering whether she's pregnant or not. Is there a way to tell or, should she just wait a week or two for an ultrasound?
K9Siren

Re: False pregnancy?

Postby Wednesday » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:12 am

K9Siren wrote:Here is a question on behalf of my best friend Amanda's dog, Wednesday.

Woah!!!! I was really confused for a second there because my name is Amanda and my nickname is Wednesday. For some reason, my brain skipped over the dog part and I saw "Amanda's Wednesday".lol

Unfortunatley, I will have to leave your questions to someone who knows more about these things. :thumbsup:
Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby K9Siren » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:37 am

and I saw "Amanda's Wednesday".

ready to laugh even more? I know your nickname came from Wednesday Adams. Amanda named her dog Wednesday because of The Adams Family. lol
K9Siren

Postby stella » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:38 am

Well, it could be either....when was her last heat? And was she allowed around intact males when she was in season? :po: IF her last heat was around 8 weeks ago, and she was NEVER around intact males, then this could be a false pregnancy, but this is not clear enough information for anyone to know. Only your friend knows....
stella
Matured Bully

Postby K9Siren » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:41 am

Yes!! :po: They have a male dog who is not neutered and, Wednesday is not spayed. She never bothered to spay or neuter.

I think Wednesday was recently in heat and, I know Gobo (their male) tries to mount her all the time. Amanda's Dad also took Wednesday out a lot and, she was around other males in the neighborhood and who knows if they were neutered or not.
K9Siren

Postby stella » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:46 am

:crybaby: :po: :crybaby:
stella
Matured Bully

Postby K9Siren » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:53 am

Well, I can say, she didn't know any better at all. She knew nothing about spaying or neuter or, any of that...not until she knew I was involved in rescue and, I started to approach some subjects with her. As a result, she decided to finally spay and neuter her dogs and, now...Wednesday may be pregnant. All I could do was tell her if Wednesday was pregnant, I would help her get the puppies out for adoption when they were ready. Then, force her to take them to get speutered!
K9Siren

Postby pocketpit » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:39 am

Why not have her spayed anyways??
pocketpit

Postby melkissa » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:06 am

pocketpit wrote:Why not have her spayed anyways??

That's what I did with my sisters dog.
A spay/abort.
Much better option if you and her are not prepared to find homes for all of the puppies, which is never easy to do in any situation.
It may cost a little more but when weighing out the costs of doing that and/or taking care of the puppies after birth it's a much better and cheaper route to go. Not to mention less stressful. We don't need any more unwanted dogs and if you have the capability to prevent it (with someone who is WILLING to) than I think you should do it! Just my opinion though...
melkissa

Postby barbponys » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:30 am

pocketpit wrote:Why not have her spayed anyways??

:duh:

Spay/abort. No need for the pups to suffer due to someones ingnorance.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pblove » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:05 am

not ragging on you, just ranting
how in the heck could your firend not know any better???? How old is she, 5?
O.K., spay/abort gets my vote too.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby K9Siren » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:25 am

Wow.. I didn't even know you could spay while a dog is pregnant. See? Everyone learns new things. I heard of that happening in certain situations but, I thought it was only done when the Mother was in bad health. Huh, I'll have to mention this to her.

I don't think you are ragging at all. It's amazing but, some people just don't think it's important to spay or neuter a dog. They think if a dog is pregnant, she gets pregnant and that's o.k. Other people just never think of it. Amanda loves her dogs but, she just never thought getting them fixed was important and, no one ever told her how important it was. Finally, she took Wednesday to a new vet and, this vet gave her the run-around about Wednesday needing spayed and, what it can prevent. Yay for the vet!

I'll talk to her about the option of doing a spay for Wednesday if she is indeed pregnant. I would help her find homes for the puppies and, get her in touch with a rescue I'm involved in but, I do agree that it's a lot of time and money and, I don't think Amanda has that right now. Thank you guys for the advice.
K9Siren

Postby Pit Chick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:27 am

Spay/abort AND neuter that male. This needs to be done like yesterday before it's too late to abort the pups. If she has those pups and you do manage to find homes for them, you just gave your friend an easy out for being irresponsible and taken away homes for homeless dogs that are already here.
I agree with pblove, how could she not have known better since this isn't the dog's first litter? How does she think dogs get pregnant? :roll:
Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby melkissa » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:27 am

Pit Chick wrote:Spay/abort AND neuter that male. This needs to be done like yesterday before it's too late to abort the pups. If she has those pups and you do manage to find homes for them, you just gave your friend an easy out for being irresponsible and taken away homes for homeless dogs that are already here.
I agree with pblove, how could she not have known better since this isn't the dog's first litter? How does she think dogs get pregnant? :roll:

:goodpost:
melkissa

Postby mnp13 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:32 pm

Spay her and neuter him.

Vets will spay/abort up until days before birth. even if it costs more, it is WAY WAY WAY cheaper than puppies.
mnp13

Next

Return to Health Issues