jaw inflammation

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

jaw inflammation

Postby Etremo1 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:54 pm

Today in the morning and midday my dog was all right, but at 5:20pm i went to wake up him for play, and i found him with an inflammation (don't know if this is the right word) under his jaw (the rear part of the jaw) :sad:

what could cause this?
Etremo1

Postby Etremo1 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:29 pm

ok, is not really the jaw. but anyways, here are some pics

:sad: Image
Etremo1

go to vet

Postby bluesky1966 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:05 pm

is your dog acting normal othewise/? is he/she eating? is the lumps painful for the dog if you touch them? either way i would take your dog to the vet ASAP
bluesky1966

Postby Etremo1 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:48 pm

I think i have the cause...the gardener told me now, that he was with the dog this afternoon and the dog touched a honeycomb of wasps, and they itched him 8(

I hope that this is the problem

..and yes, my dog is acting normal
Etremo1

Postby concreterose » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:28 pm

I would still take him to the vet.
concreterose
Regulator

meds

Postby bluesky1966 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:06 pm

yes i thougt this looked like an allergic reation. if you want you can give him some diphenhydramine or it is also called Benadryl . it is used for allergies --your dog might be having an allergic reaction to the wasps, so give him one pill of regular Benadryl {50mg] if he weighs 30lbs or 2 pills for a dog that weighs 60lbs three times each day until the swelling is gone. the dosage is 1.18mg/lb. or 4mg/kg.

4 mg/kg PO TID, 0.5 mg/kg IV, IM BID.
Antihistamine.
Last edited by bluesky1966 on Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluesky1966

Postby moto1320 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:59 pm

Do dogs have lymph nodes in all of the same areas that we do? If that is the case...they would expand right there to fight off any infection from the ears canal, mouth, jaw, etc. I looked like that after oral surgery once and my old roomate recently looked like that from a very severe ear infection.
moto1320
Regulator

but...

Postby bluesky1966 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:15 pm

Yes but they would not swell up in one afternoon. the swelling would build-up gradually and would be more painful than swelling from an allergic reaction. However sinse I am not there to feel the swellings with my hand or do other examinations I cannot rule out and infection, although your dog might have a fever if he/she had and infection in such a large area. A fever will reduce your dog's activity level and intrest in food. but I do agree that a visit to the vet. wont hurt :))
bluesky1966

Postby Etremo1 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:13 am

Thanks guys/girls
The swelling feels very soft, and also i agree, i will visit the vet tomorrow
Etremo1

Postby kendall » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:49 am

It looks too "neat" for an allergic reaction. I thought if it's an allergic thing, then he would swell all around the area... not just in two neat and symmetrical lumps, you know? The first thing I thought of when I saw it was lymph nodes.

Speaking of Benadryl, it's a really good thing to carry with you, especially during the summer months when new plants and insects are out. I keep some in my glove compartment and some in my camera case (since I take that most everywhere lately).
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bluesky1966 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:14 am

"It looks too "neat" for an allergic reaction. I thought if it's an allergic thing, then he would swell all around the area... not just in two neat and symmetrical lumps, you know? The first thing I thought of when I saw it was lymph nodes. "

the dog might have swallowed the wasps--? just a guess ---doctors usually dont make a diagnosis with just a picture---also it could be the salivary glands they do not cause a fever or change in activity level but usualy they do not swell up in a symetrical way. another thing to consider withthe lymph nodes it that they usualy are hard circumscribed glands not loose swellings. it is fun to guess but we hope the dog is ok and it would be great if we are told what the doctor says :thumbsup:
bluesky1966

Postby daija » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:42 am

this morning when i woke up to take daija outside.. she also had an inflamation.. but its on one side of her face??
daija

Postby kendall » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:54 am

Depending on the size and consistancy, it could be a number of things. Like bluesky said, it could be an allergy or a bug bite. A swelling on one side of the face can also be an indicator of an abscessed tooth. We had that problem with our collie once. Smell her breath. If it's really rank, an abscess is a possibility.
But in the summer time, it's very possible it's an allergy or a bug bite.
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby daija » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:45 pm

her breath doesnt smell bad.. and she ate today.. but she hasent been as playful as she usually is... she goes to the vet at 5..
daija

Postby kendall » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:11 pm

she goes to the vet at 5..

Good call. :thumbsup: Hope everything is alright.
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Next

Return to Health Issues