need help with conditioning for a show

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jadedpitgirl

need help with conditioning for a show

Postby Jadedpitgirl » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:55 pm

Those of you who show your dogs, how do you get them ready for a conformation show? Do you walk them, treadmill, flirt pole, swimming, etc. I am hand walking 3 miles a day with the girls right now. I have their first show in May. Maggie is looking awesome, but Kiki is not looking so hot. I mean, she is in good health, and nice and lean, but lacks muscle tone. It's more like bulk if that makes sence :dunno: how do ya'll get your dogs in top condition?

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:35 pm

What you feed can have a great impact on the dog's health (and therefore condition) too. I know some Matrix dogs I've seen that look TOP NOTCH haven't had any special routines...just good food, normal doggy exercise, and good genes.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:58 pm

I'm trying to get Xanny into ADBA shape, she's not ready for this weekend in NJ, but I'm hoping to have her ready for MA in May. Since she does weight pull, much of her workout is dragging her sled (22 lbs) almost a mile. I try to do that 2 x a week, pull heavy loads 2 x a week, and pull the sled up a short steep dirt road 2 x a week. I feed her raw, supplementing w/Omega 3 oil caps for her coat. We've got a ways to go right now. She does have good genetics for muscling up, though she tends to get bulky muscle rather than long, lean muscle. I'm trying to fit in some games of fetch, and on the rare occasions, bitework.

HogDog

Postby HogDog » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:02 pm

I let mine on the springpole for as long as hey can stand which is usually about 30-40 minutes, then give them water and rest for about 30 minutes, then i put them on the treadmill for about 30 minutes. I do this about 2 months before a competition or show and i do it about 4-5 days a week! It works for my dogs and I always get compliments!

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:32 pm

Scot (Matrix) feeds the dogs he's campaigning Nature's Variety. Its one of the best foods out there, IMO.

I don't show in conformation, but when I'm trimming my girl up for a weight pull, we do flirtpole, handwalking, drag-walking, and practice pulls. I also spend some time having her chase a ball and play tug of war. If I had a springpole and a treadmill, I'd work those into the routine as well. Mix up the exercise a bit so you work all those muscle groups.

whiskeyman

Postby whiskeyman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:36 pm

bahamutt99 wrote:Scot (Matrix) feeds the dogs he's campaigning Nature's Variety. Its one of the best foods out there, IMO.

I don't show in conformation, but when I'm trimming my girl up for a weight pull, we do flirtpole, handwalking, drag-walking, and practice pulls. I also spend some time having her chase a ball and play tug of war. If I had a springpole and a treadmill, I'd work those into the routine as well. Mix up the exercise a bit so you work all those muscle groups.

just curious

what is handwalking?

jeremy

phez718

Postby phez718 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:50 pm

whiskeyman wrote:just curious

what is handwalking?

jeremy

Taking your dog for a walk, by hand as in not using a treadmill, I believe.

Jadedpitgirl

Postby Jadedpitgirl » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:43 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone. As of now, I am hand-walking Kiki and Maggie 3 miles a day, Maggie does flirtpole for about 20-25 minutes, and she also plays ball for a good hour. Kiki is not so easy. She doesn't like the spring pole or flirt pole, she doesn't really like to play ball, she is just hard to work :oops: I do let Kiki drag some weight and some heavy chains around, that's about all she will do. Unfortunately, I don't have a tread mill, but they do run laps with the four wheeler two days a week. We get them running about 40 mph for a good 20 mins. After running with the 4 wheeler, I give them a day of rest. I walk them 4 days a week. Our workouts are as follow
Tuesday-Friday: 3 mile walk for both
15 minutes of drag weight for Kiki
30 minutes of flirt pole for Maggie
1 hour of fetch for Maggie
2 hours of play at the park playground (people park)
Sat & Sunday: 20 mins of running for both
Monday: rest for both

I have even cut back their regular feed and started adding more raw. I hope to have Kiki ready by May. By the way, Leslie, the dog in your avatar looks great :thumbsup:

pitpok

Postby pitpok » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:49 pm

i dont show Roy but i love to exercise him. He is not a Huge fan of the springpole but LOVES to swim. I like to play lots of fast past fetch and after he gets heated I like to play fetch in a lake. He loves to swim and is the best exersice because it used all the muscles and has lil to no stress on joints.
Becare full not to "over" work b/c a dog can over heat or lose strengh in the water if pushed too much. You dont want to have to swim in after you pouch.

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:55 pm

If you have access to someplace where you can swim them, take advantage of it, as it's a full body work and helps build lean muscle instead of bulk like sprint work will do. I haven't ever conditioned an APBT to show, but try to keep both Goo and Annie in decent shape. I used to swim Annie (our dachshund) every day for 1/2 hr to an hr per session, sometimes with two sessions (in addition to playing ball and some roadwork), and she was all lean mass, and had terrific endurance from the cardio aspect of it. I'm going to be picking up supplies to make her a swim tank soon, since she's a small dog, it shouldn't be too expensive, but when I was looking into building one for the bigger dogs last year, it looked like it'd be a little pricey, but that'd be with shipping the tank. Maybe someday.

You could probably do a bit more drag pulling with them, I'd aim for 15-20% of their weight for a mile (you can still do heavier drag pulls as well, but for shorter distances). For your less motivated girl, maybe try running her with a bike? I like to keep them at at a trot for their conditioning works, as it seems to build less bunchy muscle, but add in a few short bursts of sprinting, and would still do the occasional full out running trip just to wear them out.

Another favorite of mine is the hill game. Find some big, heavy toy or object they love, and a nice steep hill (about 70 degree angle from the ground), and spend half your time at the bottom throwing the object up, half at the top throwing the object down. You don't want whatever you use to be so big they can't carry it up or down, but they should have to work a bit. Another good full body workout, since they need to balance themselves and the object, while they either drive up the hill or control their descent.

Jadedpitgirl

Postby Jadedpitgirl » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:29 am

Thanks for the replies. I am in Fl, and live about a mile from a lake and about 2 miles from a nice river. Unfortunately, gators are real bad around here. I just don't trust letting the dogs swim in our local water :sad: I have also looked into making a swim tank for my dogs too. They love to swim, but don't get to but maybe once a month. My MIL lives on a lake, but she is an hour away. My swim tank plans consist of a big metal water trough, and somehow making a brace that the dog is attached to by harness. This way, they will not be touching the bottom, or won't be able to jump out. I know in writing it sounds cruel, but I have it on paper and it looks like it would work really well :oops:

pitpok

Postby pitpok » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:14 am

I also live in Fl and you are right that gators are bad. About a month ago, I took Roy swiming in the lake behind my apartments, as soon as Roy came out of the water a 4 ft gator came up....My heart was going 100 miles an hr. I called AC and they caught the gator.
I know take Roy swiming in a fenced in pond....NOt the best place for a gator to live but still am very catuious of snakes and maybe a gator.

dallas

Postby dallas » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:35 am

I have just added drag weight in my dogs workout plan with hopes of adding some much needed muscle on Mac. Rage does it also but she seems to get plenty of muscle tone doing her bike runs. our plan consists of......

Drag weight with pulling harness and heavy chain (body weight) behind it for about a mile for both dogs.

Bike running usually around 5 miles for Mac and 3 for Rage.

Tredmill work is usually around 15-20 minutes and only Mac will do that but i havn't done much tredmill work lately being that the weather is getting better.

Hand walking is done with all of the dogs but thats more for the whole joy of walking them and less about working them.

Springpole was being used mostly by Rage until she ripped it down a while back and we are just to lazy to put it back up.

Fetch is an all time favorite for all of the dogs and i believe is the best sprint work out for any animal.

Kong, yeah i know it doesnt sound like a workout but you squeeze one of those things in your mouth all day long and tell me muscles in your jaws aren't getting worked.

Tug-o-War is a very popular game that is played often with the dogs and i know its working them pretty good.

The bike runs and drag weight are the only things that we regulate with our dogs, the rest they do daily for something to occupy their time.

Feeding is real important in maintaining a healthy dog also and i feed Mac Nurta's Natural Choice High Energy dog food and Rage eats Diamond.

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:08 pm

I walk BOTH my big girls TWICE a day INDIVIDUALLY at least 3 miles......good for them, and good for me as well!

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:22 pm

pitbullpride wrote:I walk BOTH my big girls TWICE a day INDIVIDUALLY at least 3 miles......good for them, and good for me as well!

You walk twelve miles a day?! Dang, do you spend all day walking? lol

Return to “Health Issues”