my pup was attacked

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

my pup was attacked

Postby labdad » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:04 am

Hi there:
My 5 month old black lab was attacked by pit bull recently. This particular pit was not muzzled (even though its the law where we're from) and was inadequately restrained (he snapped his leash completely off the tree he was tied up to). The owner left the park while we tried to clean our little fella up, before we could get their info. Just wondering how I should approach the subject with the owner when we see her next. Our pup is okay (took a couple stitches over his eye) but there has to be some re-course. Is there a specific way that pit bull owners prefer to be approached about this sort of thing? I don't want to berate this owner, just would like to discuss what happened. Thanks!

Labdad
labdad

Postby GreddysAngel » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:19 am

:sad: Im sorry to hear about ur pup, I dont really have any suggestions for you, I hope you get everything worked out. I hope this does not make you think that all pit bull owners are like this....how iresponsible of him...

I apologize on behalf is the owner of the pit bull that hurt ur pup :sad:
GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

my pup was attacked

Postby labdad » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:02 pm

GreddyGirl:
Just noticed you were from London Ontario. Me, too. The attack happened in Victoria Park on Saturday afternoon...
labdad

Postby GreddysAngel » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:25 pm

Awww...Im so sorry to hear that!!!
GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Re: my pup was attacked

Postby Wednesday » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:26 pm

labdad wrote: This particular pit was not muzzled (even though its the law where we're from) and was inadequately restrained (he snapped his leash completely off the tree he was tied up to).

Is there a law specific to London that says pits must be muzzled, or are you talking about the new Ontario ban? If it is the Ontario ban, pits do not need to muzzled until after August 29th (there is also a 60 day grace period after that date so they won't really need to muzzled until October).

Is there a specific way that pit bull owners prefer to be approached about this sort of thing? I don't want to berate this owner, just would like to discuss what happened.

I guess you have to understand that most of the pit owners in Ontario are terrified that their dogs will be taken away at this point. My guess is that she took off so quickly because she was afraid of the cops being called, and taking her dogs.

I wasn't there so it is hard for me to say exactly how you should approach this lady. I would suggest that you leave the fact that she has a pit out of it. Don't even mention the breed because it is irrelevant. What should be an issue is that your dog was injured, and that the other dog was not restrained properly. Talk to her in the same way you would any other dog owner that you had this problem with. If she is a responsible owner, and this was just an accident that she didn't forsee, she will be looking into ways to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I hope you know that there are plenty of good pit owners out there. Out of curiousity, how do you know this dog was a pit? There are many breeds that are often confused as pits that are not.

Good luck and I hope your puppy is feeling better soon!
Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby labdad » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:38 pm

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought that on March 1st the ban went into effect. As I don't own a pit bull, I didn't pay much attention to the specifics of the by-law as it didn't pertain to my lab. My apologies if I've confused anyone by my apparent lack of correct information.
I agree with your reasoning of why she may have taken off. Pit bull/Sheperd/Shih Tzu/whatever, she should have stuck around. However, I understand the sensitivity of the issues surrounding this breed in Ontario which is why I asked pit bull owners if there was a way to broach the subject without coming across as accusatory of the breed. I'm sure she's just as scared as we were when it happened.
We know it was a pit as an aqaintance of hers did stick around to help and told us it was. Wouldn't give us her name or number, though. Spent $88 at the vet getting our guy checked out. Wouldn't mind getting that back. If my dog ever did something like that I'd drive the other dog/owner to the vet with my mastercard at the ready.
labdad

Postby GreddysAngel » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:40 pm

To my knowledge there is no law in London yet, we still have until the 29th of August before we have to muzzle our babies...
GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Wednesday » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:54 pm

labdad wrote:Spent $88 at the vet getting our guy checked out. Wouldn't mind getting that back. If my dog ever did something like that I'd drive the other dog/owner to the vet with my mastercard at the ready.

I think you have every right to ask for her to pay for that. I do agree that she should have stuck around, but I also understand why she wouldn't have. It is really hard being a pit owner in Ontario right now, and you always kind of have your guard up when you are out with your dog.

I think it is wonderful that you would ask how to approach her, and it is too bad that there aren't more people out there like you.

Maybe when you are talking to her you could mention that you stumbled across this forum, and suggest she check it out. There is a lot she could learn here about responsible ownership. :thumbsup:
Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby voodoopitbull » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:49 pm

What happened was completely irresponsible of the owner. While I sure it was an accident (the dog's leash snapping off), the owner should be able to control her dog and should've stuck around and dealt with the consequences of her dog's actions.

She should pay 100% for your vet bills.

I hope this doesn't give you a bad impression of our breed. I am glad your pup's doing OK now.
voodoopitbull

Postby Jp » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:52 pm

Hi there. Sorry this happened to you, I am also in London, ON. But did you know, pitbulls do not have to wear muzzles here by law? Not until late August....but you should approach the owner when you see her again, as she should be responsible for this incident. I live near Vic. Park and walk my girls here but I never have had any trouble with them.
Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:00 pm

I should also state, that no, there is no bylaw in London regarding any breed of dog. No muzzling is required here until Bill 132 is in effect. But, you should know that although pitbulls are banned because of this bill it will still effect you and all other dog owners. For example, the "search and seizure" section if your dog is "menacing". So if a dog is running at large, etc. I think that could be identified as "menacing"?
Not trying to be preachy, but alot of people don't realize that anyone who owns a dog will have to be more cautious now, although they really already should be.
Also, please, since you live in London, don't hold a grudge against pitbull owners. There are many who are responsible. I always getting negative and nasty stares when I walk my girls, and they are not aggressive at all.
I may not look the "type" who owns pitbulls but I do, and always will, but will just have to move so I can.
Once again, I am sorry that your poor pup was attacked. I am glad that he's alright though, definitely hold her accountable if you see her again.
if you have any questions please feel free to ask...
Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby violet » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:02 pm

I don't think I can add to what others have said but I completely agree..I understand her probable panic. These are rough tims and any owner who makes a mistake feels responsible for ALL the bullies out there getting banned. Hopefully, you will get a chance to talk to her. I sympathize to ehr likely fear but, we as bully owners, more than other dogs MUST be responsible.
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby whiskeyman » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:30 am

I can understqnd her panic but that doesn't make it justifiable. She should have realized that your dog is as important to you as her's is to her.

Kick her ass!!

Just kidding.

I doubt you will see this woman again but if you do speak to her as you would want to be spoken to. She should be held liable and you should get restitution.

jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby JCleve86 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:05 pm

Yeah, she may have been scared, but how much WORSE does that make pit bulls and their owners look when she just takes off? That's completely uncalled for, no matter where you live.

Labdad - I can't imagine how scary it must have been when your puppy got hurt. (I know I would've freaked out...my dogs are my babies). However, it seems that the owner was trying to do the right thing (keeping her dog restrained) and perhaps underestimated her dog's strength. That's a least one plus for her. Maybe she'll think to buy a better leash or collar next time. Just know that there are many responsible pit bull owners out there, and if it had been me, I would've stuck around and had NO problem paying the vet bills (I would've begged to, matter of fact). Would I have been OUT OF MY MIND worried about my dog? Yes. But I would've stayed.

Also know that dog aggression and human aggression are two completely issues. Without actually knowing this particular dog, I'd guess based on the typical pit bull temperament that she's not real fond of other dogs, but is a total love bug with people.

My bet is that you'll never see or hear from this lady again. Irresponsible owners seem to drop off the face of the earth when issues come about.
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby satanscheerleader » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:11 pm

Poor little pup! :sad:
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Introductions