Hi! Pull up a chair . . .

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hi! Pull up a chair . . .

Postby ripley6 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:09 pm

Hi! I’m a newbie pit owner, totally besotted with my year-old pittie mix, Lil Biscuit Bear. I’ve had many dogs and cats before, but never had the overwhelming personality and exuberance that my little guy has. His looks and build are unmistakably pittie, so I started looking on the internet to see more about what PBT’s are like, and came across this site. I’ve looked and visited this forum for a while (I LOVE looking at everyone's pictures!) and am finally ready to jump in. This may be a long read . . . . (i.e., pull up a chair) :)

We currently have three dogs and three cats, all rescues. In addition to my sweetie, we have a husky/beagle mix (Peeve) a lab/some-sorta-hound mix (Pippa), a shy cat (Itty Bitty), a half-dog cat (Charlie), and The Cat Who Fears Nothing (Ripley). Our old friend, Nikita Bear, our willful lab/malamute, passed away last summer at 14 ½, and Lil Biscuit needed a home, so. . .

Biscuit’s mom, Ivory, appears to be a golden lab/retriever sorta mix, just beautiful. She was chained up in a yard across from where I work. Nearly every day when I left work, I saw a lady loving on her and I assumed that she was the homeowner/owner. Wrong. As I learned, the “owner” (and I mean that in the most sarcastic way possible) and her son were too busy going to visit with her boyfriend and were rarely even home. And they were far too busy to put out water and food daily (grrr!!!) so this kind lady who lived a few doors down took pity on Ivory, fed and watered her daily, and even took her for walks along with her own dog. To this day, I have never, ever seen the “owner” touch “her” dog. Anyway, one day about a year ago, I was drawn across the street because I saw a passel of little black pups squirming out of the (pitifully shabby) doghouse. We started talking, and I started walking with this lady and the dogs, and just loved the playful little pups (ahhh! puppy breath!!!). Ivory was a terrific mother to all seven of them (neighbors said it was about her fifth litter . . .but *sarcasm on* who’s counting? * sarcasm off* )

One by one, the pups disappeared (taken by people at night, mostly, heaven only knows where . . ), until only one little mostly-black pup was left. Because the “owner” was threatened with a ticket if the pup wasn’t chained also, he was also tied up in the tiny, grassless area littered with their trash. Getting the picture?? Grrrrrrrrrrr. :po:

Because our old dog was getting frail (and a bit cranky, God love her), we didn’t think it was the right time to introduce a rambunctious puppy, even though I had already fallen totally in love. I had already been pestering EVERYONE about the pups for weeks, including all the no-kills for miles – no luck. One afternoon when he was about five months old, Biscuit did not eat his treat. And he didn’t eat the next morning, either. Now THAT was a serious sign to me that he was not well at all! So I took off work that very morning and took him directly to the vet and the diagnosis was PARVO! I told the vet to do what they could. Well, not only did he make it, in just a few days he was such an escape artist that every day they had to think of new ways of keeping him confined in his crate in his isolation room! (The “owner” did not even get home for a couple days. Not that they would have even noticed if he was sick, anyway, or bothered to take him to the vet. ggggrrrrrr, again. Ooops, better stop that - I'm sounding people-aggressive :twisted: )

The next week, our old girl passed away – and Biscuit came home (without my husband’s knowledge for a month – but that’s another story!). Since he has come into our lives, he is the best of everything pittie: the goofy sense of humor, the rough-and-tumble non-stop play, the rocket-powered energy, the sloppy face washes, the toothy grin, the total cuddle wigglebutt clown bully package. And OMG, the devastatingly sweet soul-melting looks! After looking at many pit-friendly sites on the net, I now know how privileged I am to have this special pup, and a member of a very special group of those lucky enough to know the truth about being adopted by a pit.

I am learning so much – I’ve done some things right and some things not so well (I have really stepped up the obedience training!! Which is so easy because he is SO smart and SO eager to please). I love reading all your posts and seeing your pups – and I think I’m hooked for life . . . yep, a pittie slut. Hopefully, pictures of the "kids" to come (haven’t hooked up the scanner since the LAST crash . . .) Anyway, I am so glad to be able to gush on, especially about my boy – my co-workers are probably sick of hearing me say, “He gets cuter EVERY DAY!!!”

(well. . . . he does!)

:cheers:
ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby GreddysAngel » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:28 pm

:peace:

Welcome...GREAT intro!!! Cant wait to see pics...
GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jp » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:29 pm

:welcome: That was very kind of you to take in biscuit! People like that have no business owning a dog or any animal for that matter. Where is his mother, if you know?
Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby melkissa » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:41 pm

Awesome intro
Welcome!
melkissa

Mom Ivory

Postby ripley6 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:08 pm

When the exreme cold temperatures hit in December, this good person, Andrea, just took Ivory to her house after their walk and kept her. The bi - er, "owner" asked her a couple days later if she was there, and Andrea told her that she'd keep her until it warmed up. Well, Ivory is still there, living the good life and running around the yard with Pork Chop the chow. . .

Andrea only lives about three houses down, and walks the dogs every day right past her house. If that woman really gave a spit about her dog, she'd have come for Ivory, or at least asked about her, or dropped off dog food. Something, you'd think. Our only worry is that the woman may be moving and she may suddenly decide she needs her possession back - because that, obviously, is all that Ivory is to her.

Agreed, shame on people like that! Oh - and she absolutely gave me no trouble about Biscuit, when I told her flat out that he would have died (Parvo is something like 80%+ fatal in puppies) - oh, and an approximation of what the vet bills would be.
ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby Jp » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:17 pm

Glad to hear Ivory is at a good home. Hoepfully she doesn't come back for her! I would refuse.
Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby sahara311 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:12 am

Welcome!!! :thumbsup: Glad to see a happy ending with Biscuit! I have a "fears nothing" cat, too. His name is Ares.
sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ripley6 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:57 am

Ripley: her motto, "Come ON! Bring it on!!"

I swear, if she was two pounds heavier (she only weighs about 7 lbs soaking wet), she'd take over the world, with one paw tied behind her back! She was a '93 flood rescue - when we got her, you could see every bone in her body, even her tail - and she'd been fostered for two weeks already. She loves to play with Biscuit - kindred souls with attitude.

Thanks for the kind welcomes!
ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby sahara311 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:55 am

Sounds like my boy, Ares! He and 'Cane were born on the same day, so they are best pals...
sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tjbsandy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:14 am

:hi :welcome:
tjbsandy

Postby mypitmika » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:45 am

That was an awesome intro! Welcome to the board - I think you're gonna fit right in here among us bully lovers. :hi
mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby moochesmama » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:46 am

Welcome! I'm glad Biscuit found a good home with you...
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby Kaytlin » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:47 am

:welcome: can't wait to see pics!
Kaytlin

Postby K9Siren » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:10 pm

That was a great intro. I am so glad you took Biscuit in and, your neighbor was so kind to Ivory. Let's hope that woman does not want Ivory back.
K9Siren

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:45 pm

:welcome: I have a cat named Itty Bitty, too XD
Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Next

Return to Introductions