Getting nowhere with Ivomec

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Getting nowhere with Ivomec

Postby Rumpley » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:28 pm

Have been treating Lola the wonder puppy for 2 weeks with Ivomec for very mild, localized patches of mange. We have seen NO difference, not even the slightest one in her condition. It hasn't gotten worse though either.

The vet told me I'd need to give it to her for 2 months so I wasn't expecting a super quick recovery, but I did expect it to make some sort of mild difference. Anybody have experience with this??
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Blue Steel » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:51 am

I'm surprised your vet had you start Ivomec with Lola only having a mild localized case of Demodex. Usually vets will try and "wait it out" to see if the pup's own immune system can overcome the mites. Sometimes dogs can "spontaneously recuperate" from localized Demodectic mange. I've seen two cases of that before.... But, as with almost anything, views and oppinions (even in the medical/veterinary community) vary. Plus I do seem to remember you saying something about the vet having done a skin scraping and it was loaded with mites and eggs. Sooo... that's likely why he had you start the Ivomec. :))

I'd give it at least a month's time. Hair does take a while to grow back in. :) What dosage does the vet have Lola on? (How many micrograms per kilogram of body weight?) Was he wanting to wait the full two months before doing another skin scraping, or was he going to check again in just a month?

Hope Lola gets to feeling better soon. And gets her hair coat back!
Blue Steel

Still waiting

Postby Rumpley » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:39 pm

:sad: Okay, so I still don't have test results. I'm so hoping, in a weird way, that its the Ivomec causing this, not parvo.

Thank you for your advice Blue Steel. The dosage the doctor provided is .3 ml (I'm in Canada) for the first 5 days, and then .5 cc's (whatever that is) for 60 days. Lola has been on it for 14 days so far.

Is this the right dosage as Lola is about 19 - 20 lbs now????? Man, if he overdosed her, I'll freak!!
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues