Hi I'm new

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Postby Contessa63 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:53 pm

:) Hi!
contessa63
Contessa63
Bully Ambassador

Postby Emylee » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:00 am

Thanks for the welcome. I got another question; I hope you guys can answer it.

How do I get her to stop biting me? I hope this is just a puppy thing. She chews on EVERYthing, including me! And when she's in my hands, she bites HARD. It's not a 'I hate you back off" kind of bite. It's more like a 'hey, you taste good and I'm hungry' or ' hey put me down NOW!' kind of bite.

But it hurts. :sad: And I know I should be discouraging it somehow, I just don't know how that is. I don't endorse negative reinforcement at all. Well, I do and I don't. When she potties on the floor (which isn't often at all) I take her to it, show it to her and say NO! and then I drag her butt outside till she goes potty again. I don't know if you would consider that negative reinforcement.

What I'm getting to is how do I discourage this biting with out yelling, or tapping her nose her or something? Do I just hope she outgrows it?

Thanks all. :)
Emylee

Postby MDAPBT » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:56 am

Welcome, welcome. Love the glider :inlove:
MDAPBT

Postby tjbsandy » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:15 am

What works for me is to get up and leave the room. If she hurts me I try not to yell, (doesn't always work lol ) but to make an "ouch" yelp, like another puppy would do. Then I get up and leave the room, wait a few minutes, then come back and play with her. This way she knows that mouthing will not get her any attention, but I'm not mad at her for acting like a puppy. She learned to walk up and put a paw on me instead when she needs to get my attention.

You will also find that mouthing and play biting is addressed many times in the training section. Start practicing with the search function now, it can be your best friend! :thumbsup:
tjbsandy

Postby ripley6 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:01 am

Re: biting - what's worked for me is putting their lips on their teeth, like they are biting themselves. I kind of cup the sides of the mouth and curl the lip(s) onto their teeth when they they are biting too hard, and I say, "No bite!" It doesn't take lot of pressure, but it has only taken a couple times of this correction for them to learn. This has worked with all my dogs - they can *gently* mouth my hand (and slobber all over it!), but that's it.

Ouch! and puppy teeth are sharp! lol
ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby Emylee » Fri May 20, 2005 8:03 pm

:sad:
Emylee

Previous

Return to Introductions