Hi from Minneapolis

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hi from Minneapolis

Postby AmStaffZach » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:00 pm

Hello -

I got an AmStaff last July while I was on a road trip in Colorado. Zach was 4 yrs. old and loved by his owner, but he was a bit too much for her to handle and she wanted to find a loving home for him. Just by chance I happened to be in the area (and had been researching the breed for over six months) staying over night with my aunt/uncle. We were catching up when I told my aunt that I'd like to get an AmStaff in a couple of yrs and happened to have been researching them recently (her son has a Pit mix. That's how it came up). She mentioned her neighbor's situation and the desire to find Zach a new home, but the *right* home as the neighbor had other opportunities to give Zach up but it did not feelright for her.

Anyway, after meeting Zach, the neighbor and I (and my aunt) spoke for over an hour and I was telling her the situation I could offer Zach, and I asked her a bunch of question. She also "screened" me b/c of her love for him and ensuring I was the right fit. He is my first dog though I have a former roommate that had a Boxer that is awesome and the dog lived with me for over 5 yrs. and I was confident that I had done enough homework to purchase Zach from this woman and get into dog ownership sooner than planned.

So far (almost 9 months now) things have been awesome. I hmmediately had him neutered and began training him, and spoiling him with time/love/walks/attention/etc. He is curious around other dogs to the point that he can be aggressive (no surprise) but has played well with most dogs in supervised play, and would love to get ahold of a cat. It seems as though the end of his leash has become a bracelet of sorts since he is always leashed when we leave the yard. Particularly at the parent's place, where a cat resides.

One "scary" moment happened last November when he lost all nerve control on the right side of his face. Couldn't move his ear, couldn't blink his eye, lost the wrinkles on the right side of his head/face, and continuously got food caught between his gums and lips. After visiting the vet and doing testing they could not find out why this happened and said it may go away in two days or three months. Fortunately he began regaining some control after about a month. To date his still has a slight visual reminder as has ear has not regaind it's range of motion (cropped) and his right upper lip is slightly contracted (doesn't hang down quite as far).

I love this guy a ton and am glad I got him. I have learned quite a bit about him, as well as more about the breed having read a number of threads prior the last few days on the forum. I have enjoyed reading about other's dogs too and always appreciate the photos people post.

One other thing - Zach has a slight overbite (obviously a "fault" but I thinks it's so cute) and sometimes his tongue will hang out. He doesn't know any better and it makes me love him that much more. I'm looking forward to many more years together.

You all take care and thanks for taking the time to read this if you've gotten this far.

Bob and Zach

I'll post a few pics if someone can tell me how...[/img]
AmStaffZach

Postby Contessa63 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:58 pm

Hi! Welcome to the forum. You will find alot of good information here. Congratulations on Zach!
Contessa63
Contessa63
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:03 am

Welcome :hi I can't wait to see pics of Zach! Here is a thread on how to post them :thumbsup:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10790
Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby MDAPBT » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:29 am

:welcome:
MDAPBT

Postby PitBullPride » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:40 am

Welcome! Wonderful story!
PitBullPride

Postby mypitmika » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:54 am

That story was a great way to start my morning! Welcome Bab & Zach!
mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tjbsandy » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:59 am

:hi :welcome:
tjbsandy

Postby ripley6 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:47 am

Wow, sounds like you were in the right place at the right time for Zach! :clap Thank heavens the original owner was responsible enough to really check you out - the alternative is too scary, especially as he wasn't neutered . . .

Great story! Hope you guys have many happy years together!
ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby Noriko525 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:43 pm

Loved ur intro!! Can't wait for pics :))

Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Kaytlin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:14 pm

Kaytlin

Postby melkissa » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:50 pm

Awesome intro, welcome!
melkissa

Postby Susie's Pit Crew » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:08 pm

Hi! What a sweet story!!
Susie's Pit Crew

Postby ToneCapone » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:32 pm

hello from NC
ToneCapone

Pics of Zach

Postby AmStaffZach » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:01 pm

I'm trying to post a few photos of Zach so let's see if I can get it right the first time...

Posing for Papa

Trying to get some (more) sleep

More sleep with that ol' tongue hanging out

Taking a quick break form looking outside

One more, sleeping with his Boxer friend (I put them there, and they stayed there for over 30 minutes).

Hopefully that wasn't too much.

Bob
AmStaffZach

Postby Noriko525 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:05 pm

too much? No such thing lol

He is VERY handsome :inlove: :inlove:
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Next

Return to Introductions