Cyst on Neck

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Cyst on Neck

Postby Kyton88 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:59 am

Hey y'all - my little Nelli came with a bump on her neck that has gotten worse (and oddly, a similar, yet smaller bump on her rear toe).

I took her to the Vet and he said that it is most likely a hematoma (sp?) that tend to go away after several months or I could have it removed for around $125.

Well, I've been cleaning the darn thing cause she scratches at it with her rear foot... it bleeds, I clean the hardened blood, and so on.

I started thinking...maybe nature wants the blood to clump her fur together into a solid mass so that it heals better? I'm gonna leave this thing alone for awhile. It just looks so bad (once the fur is moved back to expose it).

Any tips would help.

Next bag of food is going to be the Wellnesss Fish and Sweet Potatoes,
Kyton88

Postby jmann4 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:34 am

My dogs have these bumps. Angel gets them on her back feet and I've had two of them removed. Honey has one on her neck and I haven't gotten it removed. It's been there for 2 years but it's not growing so I leave it alone.

Angels I know for sure are a hematoma, Honey's lump is a mystery.

I would watch it and make sure it doesn't get any larger.
jmann4

Postby Maximus » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:51 pm

Chico had the same thing... a good-sized warty looking bump on the back of his neck that continuously grew from nothing for about three weeks, then just hung around for a while. I took him to the vet, thinking he would do SOMETHING, a needle biopsy, maybe, and find out what, exactly, we were dealing with. He pinched at it, gave it a little scratch and told me to schedule an appointment for surgical removal. My impression has always been that putting a dog under general is risky enough that it better be for something important, so I was taken aback by his hasty decision.

I scheduled the appointment for 4 weeks later and in that time the bump went away completely on its own. I'd say leave it alone and just make sure it isn't getting bigger.
Maximus

Postby concreterose » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:20 pm

It's been there for 2 years but it's not growing so I leave it alone.

Jmann, we said the same thing about the lump on Pookie, and it's the one that wound up being cancerous. One year it was the same size, not attached to anything, not effecting her at all. Well, it never did effect her, but it started growing, which is when we got it removed. I would get it aspirated now, while it's small, just to be safe. (BTW, it's a GOOD thing it's staying the same size...but better safe than sorry!)

Mast cell tumors often disguise themselves as warts, fatty tumors and small bumps. Our oncologist told us that bully breeds and boxers for some reason are effected a lot by these kind of tumors. Any lumps, bumps, or warts on your dog are at least worth getting aspirated to check them out. (Off soapbox now lol )
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:38 pm

OH great. I quit boxers cuz of cancer, lumps and bumps. Only to find out I'm looking at more of the same. Heavy sigh. Oh well, better to know.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Kyton88 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:16 pm

Yea, ditto, I'm not thrilled to learn about the breed's suseptability to lumps and bumps. HOPEFULLY, this is just bad diet and ownership issues from where ever she came from. I mean, these could be infected wounds or her system was weak from poor nutrition.

But if these things start springing up all over, I would have to say that the next dog I adopt will get a thorough look over before signing the papers. Don't get me wrong, Nelli is a sweetheart, but chronic skin problems is not my on my list of ideal pet attributes.

I'll keep you all posted and maybe post some pictures for others to learn from.

D
Kyton88

Postby concreterose » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:57 pm

I would have to say that the next dog I adopt will get a thorough look over before signing the papers.

I would definitely do that. Just be forewarned, it doesn't always show up when they're young. Pookie has never had any skin problems...she didn't have this lump till she was 10. She was never previously lumpy before either. The GOOD news is that early prevention can help TREMENDOUSLY when you check your pup or older dog for lumps regularly.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Kyton88 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:41 pm

Well, not that I want to gross anyone out, but here are the picks...

This looks a little worse than it is because of the dried blood around the area. What is making matters worse is I know she scratches at it - giving it a raw pinkish look.

Here's the one on her foot. I'm pretty sure she licks at this, once again providing constant irritation.

One day these start to look like they are healing, and then she messes with them and the look bad again.

Maybe I'll spend the money for this first round to have them removed. If the pop up again, then I'll start to get more concerned.

Sigh... oh the bills are just starting :-)
Kyton88

Postby concreterose » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:41 pm

Sigh. I know. Every day I look at my girls healthy and happy it's worth it. Have you looked into pet insurance? It's a worthwhile investment. Don't feel bad. I just spent $1500 on tumor removals, biopsies, ultrasounds and tons of other tests...and I DON'T have pet insurance :roll: . My girl's worth every penny though.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Kyton88 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:51 pm

concreterose wrote:

Sigh. I know. Every day I look at my girls healthy and happy it's worth it. Have you looked into pet insurance? It's a worthwhile investment. Don't feel bad. I just spent $1500 on tumor removals, biopsies, ultrasounds and tons of other tests...and I DON'T have pet insurance :roll: . My girl's worth every penny though.

having....trouble...breathing.... $1500... breath....
Kyton88

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:37 pm

When I got Riley he had lived puppyhood to me on a chain. They abandon him there when they moved and he tried to break loose. The end result was it looked like someone slit his throat. He had several huge hematomas on his neck, some of which turned into deep wounds. Only using a harness and regular cleaning-they went completely away in about 6 months. You would have never believed it if you saw him in the beginning. He was only a year though, since your pup is young just keep an eye on it. They will probably go away.
Last edited by moto1320 on Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Kyton88 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:20 am

Thanks moto1320, that is VERY encouraging! I figure because she was a shelter dog, I just never know what could have caused the bumps.

In fact, I myself had some mysterious red dots showing up on my hands about 2 years ago. They would come and go. I went to 3 different docs and they all had me try different lotions. Finally, after quitting a stressful job just about a year ago, I have not seen one red dot (the entire year!).

I guess my point is you just never know sometimes. And I bet stress had something to do with my condition (and perhaps many shelter dogs).

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

D
Kyton88

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:06 am

I hear you on that, I'll bet stress does have something to do with it. Eczema runs in the family. A lifetime of doctors orders aside, it is always stress. When something really bad happens I look like a freakin leper in an hour. No stress, no rash. To bad they don't sell serenity over the counter. lol
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Kyton88 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:25 pm

Getting worse. I really believe that if Nelli had the ability to leave the damn things alone, they would be okay right now. But she licks at the cyst on her foot and scratches at the one on her neck until the bleed. I'll go to see her sometimes and all of a sudden there's blood on her foot or neck, not a pretty sight.

I guess it's time to step up to the plate and have them removed. I'm guessing she'll have to wear one of the f' uped mega phone thingies around her neck too.

Sigh, as long as they get better I'll spend the money.
Kyton88

Postby mnp13 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:52 pm

Maybe try a lidocane spray for a few days? That will numb the areas a bit and keep them from getting infected. You could also try putting a sock on her foot and taping it to her leg - that might hold it for a little while.

Just a thought,

Michelle
mnp13

Next

Return to Health Issues