Quick exercise question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Quick exercise question

Postby chalkline » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:24 pm

Me and my fiance are planning on going to Lake Tahoe this saturday. We are just going up there for the day (its only 45 min away). Anyways, I wanted to bring Milenko with us and we were planning on taking a hike at Emerald bay. The hike is 1 mi each way so a total of 2 mi. It is not a strenuous hike and when you get to the end of the 1st mi there is a lake that you can chill at. So we will walk a mile, take about an hour break, and then walk another mile back. Milenko is now about 4 1/2 months old. Do you think that will be too much exercise for him? I know you are not supposed to work them too much when they are young, but I dont know exactly what "too much" is. Thanks.
chalkline

Postby jmann4 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:56 pm

Milenko should be fine as long as you take it at a pass he can keep up with. Little pups should not be worked hard with weights or super long walks.

Also, get something for his pads. Trails have all sorts of little nasties that can stick into or cut his feet.

Pet stores usually have pad balms that form a protective layer over the paws.

And you may already know this, but do they allow dogs on the trails? I've went to a couple of state parks here in KY and found I couldn't have my dogs. 3 hour drive to be told I couldn't walk them on their precious little trails. I finally found one that would allow my dogs to grace their muddy trails with their paws. Needless to say I was peeved.

Just a thought.
jmann4

Postby chalkline » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:40 am

And you may already know this, but do they allow dogs on the trails?

Actually no, I didnt even think about it. It is a really good thing you told me though because I went and looked on the internet and found out that they in fact do not let dogs on the trail I wanted to go to. What was cool though is I found a website that lists all of the trails, beaches, fishing areas, and even restraunts in the Lake Tahoe area that are dog friendly. Thank you so much for the advice :thumbsup: . I would have been pretty pissed like you were if I went there and then couldn't walk him. I will make sure to post lots of pics of our first little vacation with Milenko. Thanks again

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about Milenko keeping up pace with us.....We are so out of shape we will be trying to keep pace with him lol
chalkline

Postby jmann4 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:29 am

chalkline wrote:Actually no, I didnt even think about it. It is a really good thing you told me though because I went and looked on the internet and found out that they in fact do not let dogs on the trail I wanted to go to. What was cool though is I found a website that lists all of the trails, beaches, fishing areas, and even restraunts in the Lake Tahoe area that are dog friendly. Thank you so much for the advice :thumbsup: . I would have been pretty pissed like you were if I went there and then couldn't walk him. I will make sure to post lots of pics of our first little vacation with Milenko. Thanks again

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about Milenko keeping up pace with us.....We are so out of shape we will be trying to keep pace with him lol

Glad I could help. Pictures would be great. Post as many as you can in the Gallery.

Yeah, I can relate to being out of shape. Have a great time!
jmann4

Return to Health Issues