bleeding nail... HELP!!!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

bleeding nail... HELP!!!!!

Postby mnp13 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:37 pm

I'm leaving for my sister's in a half hour. This morning while clipping Ruby's nails I cut one too short and it is still bleeding. I don't want to be tracking blood all over the school tomorrow!

I need to get it completely stopped... I have never had a nail bleed for this long before (I've only clipped them too short one other time).

What 'sure fire' remides for this does everyone have???

Thanks!

Michelle
mnp13

Postby kendall » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:40 pm

This only happened to me once... a few years ago with my collie. My dad put that NoNix stuff on it... the stuff that comes in a little chalk looking thing, to make shaving nicks stop bleeding. It worked for us... might be worth a shot.
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby cisom » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:48 pm

Styptic powder or you can buy it as a jar of cloth pads that are impregnated with a liquid styptic solution. Most pet stores sell it. If you really cut it good, it will take a couple of applications to stop the bleeding. If Ruby will wear an old sock that will help to keep her from licking her nail and making it bleed again that'll help. Corn starch will sometimes do it too.
cisom
Matured Bully

Postby Boo439 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:58 pm

Cornstarch has always worked for me in a bind...
Boo439

Postby mnp13 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:13 pm

I'll try the cornstarch, and have my sister pick up the styptic stuff while I'm on the way in.

I'll check the board again when I get there!

Thanks!!!
mnp13

Postby elegy » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:21 pm

yup, styptic powder is always good to have on hand. cornstarch or even flour should work too.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:53 pm

I have used the liquid stuff and it didn't work as well as the powder. I actually had one of my chickens lose a nail......thought she was going to bleed to death, it took a lot of styptic powder to get it to stop but it did finally. It works very fast, usually in seconds.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Demo Dick » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:56 pm

Super glue. The stuff that's made up of cyanoacrylate. I use it on my own cuts as well. Amazing stuff.

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:37 pm

Ditto, they use it in the ER too. Who'd a thunk it. lol
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues