little dog makes big pooo

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

little dog makes big pooo

Postby 02buster » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:20 pm

since switching buster off of nutro and on to wellness fish and sweet potato his stool volume has increased by almost 3 times. he is fed once a day at night about one cup. he is almost 2yr and weighs 46lbs

he has been on it for about a month now. his poo isn't soft or runny it looks healthy. except there is so much of it. any one else had this happen when they went to wellness?
02buster

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:29 pm

Interesting, when mine went from Nutro to Innova it went down by half or more. :huh?: I would think that the same would come of Wellness, if nothing else just for the smaller amount of food given by weight.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:49 pm

That's actually a common complaint with Wellness, all the formulas. Don't know what to tell you, but it sure doesn't seem to make sense.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby phez718 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:51 pm

:huh?: The only thing I can think of is that the Wellness measurements are supposed to be smaller than a regular cup and if your giving him the sam
e amount as he was on the Nutro it may be too much. That's my best guess...
phez718

Postby 02buster » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:53 am

he eats less wellness than he did nutro. he took 4 dumps today. i have made sure he isnt eating any more than one small cup at night. its like this stuff swells up inside him and comes out 3 times as much as goes in.

any other wellness people out there??
02buster

Postby pollypop » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:07 am

Weird, I switched my dog from Nutro to Wellness and the volume and frequency of poop went down. Her poops are not as small and neat as when she was eating BARF/homecooked, though.

And she only goes once, sometimes twice a day. So that's definitely not my experience with Wellness.
pollypop

Postby 02buster » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:40 pm

polly what kind of wellness do u use?
02buster

Postby pollypop » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:33 pm

I switch it up, but the last two bags have been Fish and Sweet Potato.
pollypop

Postby aleks215 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:45 pm

i used to feed penny science diet and switched to nutro and ive noticed she poops alot less. nutro has been my food of choice now but if any one has any other suggestions let me know.
aleks215

Postby barbponys » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:21 pm

Sheesh, I have no idea how I got it to post so fast..........:dunno:

Well........ my list of prefered dry foods looks like this. I don't know if they are available in your area or not.

Timberwolf Organics www.timberwolforganics.com
Natures Variety Prairie www.naturesvariety.com
Wellness www.oldmotherhubbard.com

Wellness will no doubt be easy to find since it's a huge company. It is a distant third behind the Prairie which is a distant second behind Timberwolf. I base my statements on how the food performs with alot of different breeds of dogs and a variety of ages.

Raw diets are a whole other discussion.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby 02buster » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:46 pm

barbonys

so you have heard that complante before? i just want to know if i'm the only one with this issue.

i know nutro is a smaller stool food. so maybe i'm just use to the nutro
02buster

Postby chewalotopus » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:00 am

I just switched from Canidae to Wellness Super 5 for variety in my dog's proteins and minerals, but I haven't noticed that they're pooping more - actually, a little bit less some days. All of my dogs make 2-3 poos a day.
chewalotopus

Postby Taowulf » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:05 pm

aleks215 wrote:i used to feed penny science diet and switched to nutro and ive noticed she poops alot less. nutro has been my food of choice now but if any one has any other suggestions let me know.

When we brought Brewser home last Sunday, his stool was very loose and there was a LOT of it. We have had him on Nutro Puppy since Sunday night and the stool is firmer and better shaped, his gas is not quite as noxious and a little less in volume. Apparently at his former temporary home, he was being fed Science Diet as well.
Taowulf

Postby raebo » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:14 pm

I didn't notice any increase in poop when we switched to Wellness (super 5 lamb).
raebo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby barbponys » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:27 pm

Yes we have had those complaints on the Wellness....... that and gas. We noticed the product looks and smells different and the dogs and cats are not doing as well on it. It may have been a batch issue but we'll see.

The size of the stools with Nutro tends to be smaller and harder due to the beet pulp. I feed Garion a very high quality dry and he poops 3-4 times a day........it's the puppy thing I think. My other two go twice a day......maybe.
barbponys
Health Guru

Next

Return to Health Issues